VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% For Ptsd P&t But Employable

Rate this question

sfc ret

Question

At a recent visit to the VA I was told buy a employee that I should be unemployable because of the 100% rating for PTSD. He referred me to another office to ask about this and possibly get it corrected. I went there and was told according to my paperwork I'm considered employable. My paperwork says employability is a moot point.

So which is true?

I remember reading somewhere that if you are 100% for PTSD you are unemployable?

I dont work and have not worked since leaving the army over two years now. How does becoming unemployable benefit me?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The criteria for 100 percent requires a total occupational and social impairment.

That means you cannot work.

I know vets who lost their comp for this reason.

Basser

Recently we had a member post that they were SC'd at 100 % due solely to PTSD

and they were actively employed as a teacher and this information was included in the

evidence of record, when this decision was made.

They posted the reason the 100% was granted was due to the bold and underlined below.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:

gross impairment in thought processes or communication;

persistent delusions or hallucinations;

grossly inappropriate behavior;

persistent danger of hurting self or others;

intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living

(including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene);

disorientation to time or place;

memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100

Edited by carlie
font size

• HadIt.com Elder

Personally, I would never tempt fate, why run the risk! VA comp is a pretty good retirement package and if you need to feel good you can always do volunteer work, or build bird houses and sell them online for a few dollars over cost. Kinda like setting up your own "sheltered workshop." It's just that I feel you can work w/a 100% PTSD rating . . . . but is it worth the risk.

jbasser - we'll have to agree to disagree. One is not required to meet all the criteria in a 100% rating.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

How can one be a teacher is they have hallucinations, delusions, constants threat of suicide or homocide, grossly inappropriate behavior etc. I know we have a lot of vets here who get 100% for PTSD but none of them have those kinds of symptoms who still post here. 100% in strick interpretation means you are psychotic.

I agree with you John999, about being crazy and teaching. But as a crazy person myself, I really want to still be productive in society. My condition sucks. I do have the grossly inappropriate behavior, the daily suicidal thoughts, Horrible dreams and cry all day long, but still I want to do something. I don't know if that makes sense. I work, but I really don't know how much longer I can. My working partners are 'bout to kill me... but so far, they have been great friends that has taken care of me. I just don't think it is fair that they pick up a lot of my work load.

Y'all have a great day.

Tom in Mississippi.