VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Know Of A Ptsd Forum For Children/family Of Vets?

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

My poor daughter has it rough - both parents with severe, chronic PTSD (as dx'd by the VA). She's in her 20's and has grown up with our oddness, etc.

None of her friends have parents with mental illness (the only one who did shot himself when he was a senior in high school).

So I was wondering if anyone knows of an online forum that she could go to, spill her guts in private anonymity. My therapist offered to have her come in, but she declined. I know it's because she's loyal and doesn't want to betray me or her dad.

But in an online forum, maybe she could let it rip and get some stuff off her chest?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Im VERY sorry to hear that. Ive a Son 23 and a husband that had to live with my MH ISSUES too. Ya cant love someone and not feel SOMETHING, when you look at it, putting myself in their place and it was ME who was in their position. Anyhoo, not about ME, moving on:

Heres what I found. That same question was posed in answers.com and this was the answer:

"You can go to webmd and it gots all the information one needs to help the person who has the ptsd make it easier you also can look into groups that function in mental health yahoo .com theses will help to."

I found this while looking and it looks well organized and specifically mentions spouse and family. I dont personally endorse or know any of these , but the link looks promising to ME. Good luck to you, and I hope it works out, tho it seems like it always does. One way or another, it always does. Sincerely, Mystic

https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/portal/

My poor daughter has it rough - both parents with severe, chronic PTSD (as dx'd by the VA). She's in her 20's and has grown up with our oddness, etc.

None of her friends have parents with mental illness (the only one who did shot himself when he was a senior in high school).

So I was wondering if anyone knows of an online forum that she could go to, spill her guts in private anonymity. My therapist offered to have her come in, but she declined. I know it's because she's loyal and doesn't want to betray me or her dad.

But in an online forum, maybe she could let it rip and get some stuff off her chest?

Hedgey, I'm going to be odd man out on this one.The internet is so unsecure anymore I would not want any of my kids going anywhere on it to discuss such personal information. She is so young that she could easily be manipulated by some freak using the info she discusses online to use against her. Any inter most feelings will be on the internet forever. Anyone could take one of her feelings or opinions and use that against her 20 years from now. Just because we feels one way at a point in time doesn't mean we will hold true to that thought a month, year or ten years from now. Such personal things would be best dealt with off line face to face in a safe environment with people who will help her understand her feelings. I'm sure such programs as like the Wounded Warrior or like programs have groups for spouses and children of veterans with disabilities.Then after finding one of these groups, I'm sure they will have chat rooms where she can find others experiencing the same feelings she has that she can go and just share OTHER similiar things that give pleasure like music, sports, hiking and other things and leave the inter personal stuff behind closed doors amoung friends.If there is any good things that can come out of war in todays world is that there is now alot of support groupd out there for our modern heroes that we didn't have 40 years ago. Until things change the internet always has and always will be unsecure for those that are vulnerable.Please don't expose her to the worlds sickies/cowards hiding behind a flat screen waiting to prey upon their next victim. I'm sure there is probably a dozen orgs or more out there than would handle your little girl like the precious jewel that she is. Hope she finds the right group! Mike

I also think that if she KNOWS you two are seeing a mh professional, that should BE HUGE by way of making her feel better. The issue is being addressed. yall are doin the best you can. She has a certain amount of assurance its not gonna be like the "old days", and if shes like my Son, he figures HE ISNT BROKE, so why expend all this energy to fix himself. If she sees the proof in the puddin and all is better AND STAYING THAT WAY, If you get what Im sayin, Hope so. Good luck, truly. Im there, where you are too.I certainly dont know it all, but I do know what I know, it usually suffices, then its therapy time, Ive learned a bit there. I share here sometimes. Mystic

hedgey,

She can access therapy at the nearest Vet Center - which would be someone different than your therapist.

www.vetcenter.va.gov