VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Hearing Aids

Rate this question

captain soggy

Question

Been waiting over 2 months for my new aids to come in. Wow well worth the wait. Aids are totally automatic, no manual adjustments except volume. The best thing they are water resistant and no dinky little wind shields to put in. They are by far the best aids I have ever had. Sound is so much clearer and natural compared to my old ones. These a made by Phonak. The audiologist said they retail for 8 to 10 thousand a pair in the real world. Also, because of a post I read here about a member asking for an electric type aid dryer I asked her if I could get one. She said " oh, sure I just have to order it in". So I have been using a stupid dryer you have to put in the microwave once a week to dry out the moisture aborbing crystals in a plastic container.

Typical of the VA, they never tell you what you are eligible for. If I had not seen the post here I would still be using the very inefficient cheap dryer. Also, if you eligible for dental you can ask them for a new sonic tooth brush. I got one at no charge and they retail for hundred bucks at costco.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the Phonak BTE model, with a unit that works for my TV and a cellphone. I also got that "cheap dryer" but have never used it. I'll be checking on the elec dryer, also. I love these hearing aids, when I wear them.

pr

Been waiting over 2 months for my new aids to come in. Wow well worth the wait. Aids are totally automatic, no manual adjustments except volume. The best thing they are water resistant and no dinky little wind shields to put in. They are by far the best aids I have ever had. Sound is so much clearer and natural compared to my old ones. These a made by Phonak. The audiologist said they retail for 8 to 10 thousand a pair in the real world. Also, because of a post I read here about a member asking for an electric type aid dryer I asked her if I could get one. She said " oh, sure I just have to order it in". So I have been using a stupid dryer you have to put in the microwave once a week to dry out the moisture aborbing crystals in a plastic container.

Typical of the VA, they never tell you what you are eligible for. If I had not seen the post here I would still be using the very inefficient cheap dryer. Also, if you eligible for dental you can ask them for a new sonic tooth brush. I got one at no charge and they retail for hundred bucks at costco.

Hear is a link to the hearing aid dryer that was issued to me in 2005. I have had another one issued since then but it still sits in the box.

http://www.harriscom....php/et-ds.html

I just got my new hearing aids on 8 mar, waited less than a month. They are much better than the pair I had before but of course they are new not 4 years old. This is my third set of BTE Phonaks This model is the Ambra. I don't think any Phonak product cost anywhere near $8-$10 K. I have seen them listed for about $4K a pair and less.... I have blue tooth ability with the new ones, and I can almost shut off all background noise which is great. Also have an appointment on 5 mar for some new audio equipment that the doctor tells me will help me a lot. I still haven't received a copy of my hearing test, but doctor seems concerned that my hearing went down hill as he says "so much" in this last year. He is sending me to have a MRI done on my head to see if there are other problems. I did have a TBI in 1975 when I got tossed from a moving jeep and was out for 3.5 days. He thinks that has a lot to do with my problems.....any way glad to hear other vets are getting what they need to fuction in their daily activities...

Edited by Teac

• HadIt.com Elder

I love my hearing aids it is phonack and best thing I have gotten from VA. checked on mine and they cost about 3 grand and the blue tooth thing is another 500

All I got with my Audeo S Smart was a Pilot 1 remote. I didn't get the TVLink S or the ComPilot, do I have to ask for them?

Well it really depends on your audologist. When mine gave me my hearing aids 4 years ago I asked for the remote since that is the best way to control both hearing aids at one time. He gave me the sound pilot. This time around he gave me a cheaper remote but frankly it is some eaiser to use.... but to your question ask if you think you can use it......

• HadIt.com Elder

When I got mine the tech said I had to pay and the Doc gave them to me the Blue Tooth TV and phone deal.