VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

Just finished having a sleep study the other night. Halfway through, I was hooked up on the CPAC machine. I was asked afterwards if I thought my sleep was better.

The official results won't be known for another week. My guess is based on this test and the fact that I had respiratory failure due to low oxygen level I will be recommended to go on the CPAC.

I am already service connected for hypertension and cardiomegaly. Would I file this new claim requesting secondary to either one as sleep apnea?

• Answers 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Myself and many others are very greatful for those sharing there input on this subject matter. It definitely has given me some things to think about. And for others getting ready for a sleep study, or recommended for the CPAC machine they can follow along here for a few ideas on what to expect.

• HadIt.com Elder

71M10

I am on the full face mask but I still get dry. I have a humidifier built into the cpap and I have a separate humidifier that goes full blast all night and yet I still get dry. I do find that If I get the mask pretty loose I do better. If it is real tight it hurts my face and drys me out so bad I can even speak. Many people I talk to throw they mask away because of problems but that is not the answer. I have TMJ also. The snoring is bad but I worry about my heart.

John

John;

From what I was told at the VA sleep clinic the dry mouth is due to you sleeping with your mouth open, if I use the nose mask and chin strap my mouth doesn't get dry nut when I sleep with the nose and mouth mask my mouth does get dry. Like you I've played with the humidifer that's attached to the CPAP and it makes no difference. Untreated sleep apnea will cause heart damage and death.

Rick

John;

I'm not sure if it'll help with the dryness but they do make a total face mask which covers the nose, mouth and eyes, kind of like a gas mask. One of the things that I've found is the fit of my mask will depend on my position, lying on my left side the mask fits fine but when I turn onto my right side I get leaks, I don't know about when I'm on my back because I can't sleep lying flat on my back. In the back of my mind there's a memory of someone telling me something about a true fit mask that you don't need to adjust but I'm not sure how that works. I hope that you find something that works for you.

Rick