VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Proposal To Discontinue Iu-Have Not Received Va Form: 21-4140

Rate this question

RAFA

Question

I just received a proposal to discontinue entitlement to Individual Unemployability because I failed to return VA Form 21-4140.

Also, proposal to discontinue chapter 35 for the same reason.

The VARO decision was made March 16, 2012 and received on April 20, 2012.

I was given 100% with IU P&T effective date: 01/14/2010

I appealed for effective date of claim and a favorable decision on (08/19/2011) of 30% back to 12/01/1997 prior to 01/14/2010.

1). They never sent me the 21-4140 form to be fill out.

2). They just made a decision and sent it out, problably because I am purchasing a home with a VA guaranteed loan and while handling my folder they saw the "Employment questionaire" missing.

What I have done:

1). Since I am given 60 days to submit VA Form 21-4140-1, I sent form via Postal Service returned receipt on 04/21/2012 (yesterday).

2). I also E-mailed and Faxed a copy to my VFW representative, will talk to him tomorrow.....I will send one every year from now on regardless.

Why does the VA make a decision without first sending out the form?

What will happen now?

Edited by RAFA

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you are getting IU, it is your responsibility to send in the form yearly..you can get these online. However, if you are not working, and send in the form, then you should be ok.

Do respond to the proposol to reduce, however, or they will reduce you.

Edited by broncovet

Actually, this is no big deal... if your not working a letter to that effect is all that is necessary or you can send the form either way... a proposal to discontinue ... is just that.. it is automatically triggered when the va doesn't receive the form......once you respond the problem goes away...

Every here gave good advise.

"Why does the VA make a decision without first sending out the form?"

They are hoping you don't return the form or appeal the decision.

About 5-6 years ago there was quite a big hoopla in the electronic vets communities because VA was proposing to reduce countless vets ,nationwide, who were never sent the employment form.

I think it was John 999 here, who advised all vets with TDIU or 100% SC to print off a bunch of these forms and mark their calendars to when the VA usually would do their annual check on these benefits and then send it to VA themselves with proof of mailing and a copy to their VSO too.

I think it was a VA BS tactic years ago to hopefully reduce some comp payments (in my opinion) because it was not a coincidence that so many TDIU/100% vets never got these forms in the mail that year and luckily were quite vocal on the internet about it and I think it was questioned at a H VAC hearing.

I just came back from the local VA Contact office and the front desk clerk helped me.

He gave me a date stamped copy of the 21-4140 for my records and noted it in the system, that they have received it and that I haven't worked for the last 12 months.

He said he will send it to the corresponding station address (PR) via UPS and that I should be o.k., no need to request a hearing.

He also said the VA in PR mailed the form in January, I moved on Nov. 27 2011 from PR to Orlando, Fl. made change of address at the VA health system on Dec. 2011 and VA contact office on March 5, 2012.

During this move the letter did not reach me, this are the consequences of not changing addresses right away at the Hospital and Regional level.

Personally, I don't think they mailed it because my sister would have let me know about it.

Thanks, to everybody for the help,

Edited by RAFA

• HadIt.com Elder

I, personally, sense that you could face a reduction, for a short time but certainly hope I'm wrong. A hearing request could have stopped that. jmo Remember, VA employees cannot be held responsible for anything they "say." Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

pr