VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Exposure To Jp-4, Jp-5, Jp-8 And Diesel Evidence

Rate this question

Stretch

Question

• In Memoriam

My recent denial for COPD says that JP-5 could not cause respiratory problems. I was exposed daily for 3 1/2 years.

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) shows that Jp-5 and other jet fuels can cause chronic respiratory disease.

http://bairdoil.com/msds/msdskerosene.pdf

Excerpt:

Inhalation : May cause nose, throat, and lung irritation. Central nervous system (brain)

effects may include headache, dizziness, loss of balance and coordination,

unconsciousness, coma, respiratory failure, and death. Burning any hydrocarbon

as a fuel in an area without adequate ventilation may result in hazardous levels

of combustion products, including carbon monoxide, and inadequate oxygen

levels, which may cause unconsciousness, suffocation, and death.

Chronic exposure Similar products produced skin cancer and systemic toxicity in laboratory

animals following repeated applications. The significance of these results to

human exposures has not been determined - see Section 11 Toxicological

Information.

Target Organs : Respiratory system, Eyes, Skin, and Irritation from skin exposure may aggravate

existing open skin wounds, skin disorders, and dermatitis conditions. Chronic

respiratory, cardiovascular, and liver disease may be aggravated by exposure.

Force Health....Military Vehicle and Aircraft Exhaust....Shows JP-5 causes chronic bronchitis (COPD)

http://deploymenthealthlibrary.fhp.osd.mil/Product/RetrieveFile?prodId=307

Excerpt:

In general, short-term exposure to exhaust can cause

irritation to the eyes, nose and throat, headaches, lightheadedness,

dizziness, and chest tightness. Long– term

exposure to exhaust can aggravate heart or lung function

causing bronchitis or asthma. For those exposed over

months or years, exposure may also increase risk of heart

disease and cancer.

My service connection related to exposure to various fuels is factual and easy to prove. I was a seaman apprentice, unrated, in the US Navy serving on a refueling ship (USS Ponchatoula AO-148) from 1979 to 1980. I was overtly exposed on a daily basis to JP-4 and was a member of a fueling station on my ship. I broke down couplings and replaced couplings on hoses that fed JP-4 to air craft carriers in the Pacific Fleet and other fuels to destroyers, frigates, and other vessels. We cleaned all our couplings and hoses with JP-4 and wiped down fueling stations with excessive grease by using JP-4 as a cleaning solvent. We would refuel other ships on a routine basis and in maneuvers. We commonly sent over JP-4 and no protective equipment except hard hats, cotton gloves, and our regular uniforms. No respirators or even face respirators as used in hospitals. Once discharged I noticed that I started wheezing when I was exercising and was subsequently diagnosed with asthma and placed on inhalers, 15 years later was placed on CPAP for sleep apnea, and have since developed peripheral neuropathies, degenerative disc disease and spondylosis. I am only 55 years old. I can't walk over 1-2 blocks without a wheelchair due to chronic debilitating back and leg pain. I have memory impairment and have recently developed swelling in my feet that my MD says is Lymphedema.  

Edited by Anthony Feltner

I and the crew of the USS Mount Vernon (LSD-39) were all exposed to JP5 in 1991.  The sounding tube for the for the JP5 tank passed through a potable water tank. The sounding tube rusted out contaminating our water source. We ate, drank, bathed and wore JP5 for just under 2 weeks. Currently I'm dealing with headaches, hand tremors and a thyroid issues since 2002. I'm hoping others can give helpful feedback and possible insights. 

I got an email notification for a new post in this topic and one other topic-

I did some research but I guess it doesn't matter- in any event here is the crew list roster for the USS Mount Vernon- some vets have their email addys there - for the dates of 1990 and 1991- that the notification poster might need.

http://www.hullnumber.com/crew1.php?cm=LSD-39

To Add "Stretch" -in this thread-was apparently one of the veterans severely misdiagnosed by the impaired pathologist at Fayetteville AR  VAMC  the current total is 12 possible deaths and multiple negligence causing additional disability  to other living veterans.

The Fayetteville VA  travesty is searchable here-

His surviving spouse has filed a FTCA for wrongful death. Stretch died of lung cancer that apparently ,due to wrong pathology reports, was never caught in time to be treated.

Edited by Berta
added more

On 4/25/2019 at 5:27 AM, Berta said:

I got an email notification for a new post in this topic and one other topic-

I did some research but I guess it doesn't matter- in any event here is the crew list roster for the USS Mount Vernon- some vets have their email addys there - for the dates of 1990 and 1991- that the notification poster might need.

http://www.hullnumber.com/crew1.php?cm=LSD-39

To Add "Stretch" -in this thread-was apparently one of the veterans severely misdiagnosed by the impaired pathologist at Fayetteville AR  VAMC  the current total is 12 possible deaths and multiple negligence causing additional disability  to other living veterans.

The Fayetteville VA  travesty is searchable here-

His surviving spouse has filed a FTCA for wrongful death. Stretch died of lung cancer that apparently ,due to wrong pathology reports, was never caught in time to be treated.

Berta,

Thank you for posting, as it helps as it sent an email saying there was a new post in this thread and matter. Interest to me and others.

Steven

On 3/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, Wschultz.spi said:

I and the crew of the USS Mount Vernon (LSD-39) were all exposed to JP5 in 1991.  The sounding tube for the for the JP5 tank passed through a potable water tank. The sounding tube rusted out contaminating our water source. We ate, drank, bathed and wore JP5 for just under 2 weeks. Currently I'm dealing with headaches, hand tremors and a thyroid issues since 2002. I'm hoping others can give helpful feedback and possible insights. 

I got sick from petro chemicals on active duty and got sick (on active duty and later developed pancreatic disease along with the diseases you mentioned). My appeals went through the BVA and is the remand hamster wheel. If you want to discuss further let me know. Anyone  or those that know my posts, knows I have been in this fight for decades. I wish I had an outcome to help others, but until this is settled, I can't say what works. If I say something that is not 100% correct, or an opinion, it could cause others more pain, so I will wait until this is settled if ever. It should be very close as my BVA hearing with the judge was several years ago. He kept remanding my case back to the R.O. telling them to do their job. I am very jaded and bitter from the VA. But, I bet it is a high percentage that got this way from the B.S.