VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

United States Court Of Appeals For Veterans Claims

Rate this question

SHEBUILT

Question

has anyone used a lawyer and the brief of the appellant

done this

Veteran

Appellant

v.

Eric K. Shinseki

Secretary of Veterans Affairs

Appellee.

if so how was your out come trying to find out if my lawyer is doing this the wright way never seen and claims go at Eric K Shinseki

Edited by SHEBUILT

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think "Shebuilt" is asking if the Veterans name must appear on the CAVC documents. Further, I think the answer is that they will withold the Veterans name at the CAVC level if it is "sensitive".

And, I get this. Some Vets would not want their entire medical history published on the internet. I wouldnt either. The CAVC does have a way of dealing with this, I am just not sure how they do it.

The CAVC does have to have a name and address to send the decision to, but I dont think they have to publish this for all to view. When you appeal, they will assign a docket number. And they can refer to you as "the Veteran".

One example of this would be an appeal for MST. I doubt that many people would want their sexual history plastered all over the internet in a CAVC case, with their name on it.

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet - I don't see how they can withhold any info at the court level, as the court is public info. While you may not "want" it public, I don't believe you have a choice. jmo

pr

I think "Shebuilt" is asking if the Veterans name must appear on the CAVC documents. Further, I think the answer is that they will withold the Veterans name at the CAVC level if it is "sensitive".

And, I get this. Some Vets would not want their entire medical history published on the internet. I wouldnt either. The CAVC does have a way of dealing with this, I am just not sure how they do it.

The CAVC does have to have a name and address to send the decision to, but I dont think they have to publish this for all to view. When you appeal, they will assign a docket number. And they can refer to you as "the Veteran".

One example of this would be an appeal for MST. I doubt that many people would want their sexual history plastered all over the internet in a CAVC case, with their name on it.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are determined enough to go to the Court, hire a lawyer, and wait years then having your named posted is the least of your worries. The only people who read those cases are vets, VSO's and lawyers. They say pretty horrible things about me, but I want justice if I can get it.

John

PR

Check your Veterans Benefit Manual. In it there are quite a few "unpublished" cases, where the Veterans name is not revealed. In every government agency, and certainly ours, there are things they reveal to the public and there are things they dont.

While the (Veterans) Court (CAVC) does not give their reasons, at least some of the decisions have the name witheld. I assume its by request of the Veteran.

Here is ONE example of an MST victim, where the Veterans name is omitted:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp/wraper_bva.asp?file=/vetapp11/Files1/1105693.txt