VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Raters Combing Items

Rate this topic

I have going thru some old documents 1977 as I prepare some new. When I was discharged it was for benign positional vertigo and back pain caused by lumbar punctures. In 1979 they added a rating for anxiety but opted to roll the vertigo with the end ear organ disease into one item. I was too frightened of the bureaucracy at the time to challenge it. Shouldn't they be seperated and rated as seperate conditions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The regs state this one:

Note: Evaluate Meniere's syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

It says not to combine them so if the regs have not changed since your initial rating, You may have a CUE.

J

First, specifically what is the end ear organ disease that you (apparently) are service connected for?

Second, although a previous poster discussed Meniere's disease (DC 6205), I suspect that DC 6204 http://www.benefits....PART4/S4_87.DOC is the better diagnostic code for benign positional vertigo.

I have going thru some old documents 1977 as I prepare some new. When I was discharged it was for benign positional vertigo and back pain caused by lumbar punctures. In 1979 they added a rating for anxiety but opted to roll the vertigo with the end ear organ disease into one item. I was too frightened of the bureaucracy at the time to challenge it. Shouldn't they be seperated and rated as seperate conditions?

First, specifically what is the end ear organ disease that you (apparently) are service connected for?

Second, although a previous poster discussed Meniere's disease (DC 6205), I suspect that DC 6204 http://www.benefits....PART4/S4_87.DOC is the better diagnostic code for benign positional vertigo.

I tend to agree we really need to know wht is the specifically end ear organ disease,to advise you better.

6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders:

Dizziness and occasional staggering......................................................................... 30

Occasional dizziness................................................................................................. 10

Note: Objective findings supporting the diagnosis of vestibular disequilibrium are required before a compensable evaluation can be assigned under this code. Hearing impairment or suppuration shall be separately rated and combined.

Yes-this is probably the correct item. I have medical documentation for it having numbers tests and several hospitalizations while in service as they were not certain why this was happening in addtion to a number of the other symptoms about 2 weeks after a Swine Flu vaccine.

Benign Postional Vertigo and Back Pain were the two items originally listed. In 1979 Addendum to Statement of the Case: " Ratings Decision evaluated the veteran's anxiety neurosis and benign postural vertigo as one disability as the symptology of the conditions could not be seperated'.

As the story unfolds ...

It's still not clear to me whether or not you have a service connected end ear organ disease because you now are telling us that the BPV has been linked to (or perhaps was a symptom of) anxiety (which is now apparently service connected). It's not unknown for anxiety disorders to have some type of projected symptoms, and I'm guessing that the medical evidence from 33 years ago did provide such a link.

If you feel that the two conditions (whichever they are) should be separate, by all means request it.

6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders:

Dizziness and occasional staggering......................................................................... 30

Occasional dizziness................................................................................................. 10

Note: Objective findings supporting the diagnosis of vestibular disequilibrium are required before a compensable evaluation can be assigned under this code. Hearing impairment or suppuration shall be separately rated and combined.

Yes-this is probably the correct item. I have medical documentation for it having numbers tests and several hospitalizations while in service as they were not certain why this was happening in addtion to a number of the other symptoms about 2 weeks after a Swine Flu vaccine.

Benign Postional Vertigo and Back Pain were the two items originally listed. In 1979 Addendum to Statement of the Case: " Ratings Decision evaluated the veteran's anxiety neurosis and benign postural vertigo as one disability as the symptology of the conditions could not be seperated'.