VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A O Symptoms

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

Just went in the hospital and they found out that I have coronary artery disease also known as bradycardia ( slow heart rate) Should I file a claim for AO ?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just a little info to help you out, also check your Mets level!

(The regulation says 3 METs or less is 100%, more than 3 METs up to 5 METs is 60%, more than 5 METs up to 7 METs is 30%, etc.)

METS are (metabolic equivalent).

NJ

• HadIt.com Elder

Just a little info to help you out, also check your Mets level!

(The regulation says 3 METs or less is 100%, more than 3 METs up to 5 METs is 60%, more than 5 METs up to 7 METs is 30%, etc.)

METS are (metabolic equivalent).

NJ

METS level assignments can be very subjective, and may not agree with medical evidence. (especially when made at a VA C&P exam)

Private physicians are often uncomfortable with METS and another method used by many states in assigning handicap levels.

Actual medical test results are usually better. An example might be measurements of blood pressures, volumes etc. taken via a heart cath sensor.

Heart damage(IHD,etc) can change high blood pressure to a more normal pressure. One indicator of this possibility is a "slow" heartbeat.

The measured "pressure waves" inside the heart are a diagnostic tool that can be used to fairly accurately estimate total heart damage.

Captain;

I'm under the impression that once you're granted exposure to AO if you have any of the diseases on the AO list you can be granted service connection for them. Nehmer only applies to the Vietnam vet with boots on the ground but the Dec 2011 C&P bulletin on the THailand Vets states that if a Thailand vet has been denied and he reopens his claim because he worked on or near the perimeter his eed will be the date of his original claim. The example given was that if the vet filled for DMII in 2006 and was denied if he reopens his claim in 2001 his effective date will be the date the VA received his denied claim in 2006. A vet in Michigan was recently granted service connection for DMII and he worked in the Autodin building on Camp Friendship, the Autodin building was about a hundred feet from the perimeter fence.

Rick

METS level assignments can be very subjective, and may not agree with medical evidence. (especially when made at a VA C&P exam)

Private physicians are often uncomfortable with METS and another method used by many states in assigning handicap levels.

Actual medical test results are usually better. An example might be measurements of blood pressures, volumes etc. taken via a heart cath sensor.

Heart damage(IHD,etc) can change high blood pressure to a more normal pressure. One indicator of this possibility is a "slow" heartbeat.

The measured "pressure waves" inside the heart are a diagnostic tool that can be used to fairly accurately estimate total heart damage.

Chuck75,

I added that info based on my C&P exam the doc wrote 1-3 Mets with Chronic Angina and they awarded me 100% P&T with no further exams and yes it was service connected (CAD), I was rated 60% when first awarded and my Mets were 3-5, Just going by my Experience.

NJ

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can get the VA to do a CT scan of your legs or even a leg and it shows calcification that can lead to a heart disease DX. If you are a RVN vet that can lead to a SC rating. I know because I did it.

Hello All,

John that is a very good point to bring up. Did you have any of the diseases also listed such as CAD, Athero, or IHD? It sounds like you did a backdoor approach to it and it worked for the rating and grant.

Computer Tech, Yes your right but unfortunately proving up an AO exposure is difficult outside of Vietnam . Yes Thailand and now Georgia, and Korea are seeing more grants thanks to James Cripps and Kurt Priessmans work , you will have to prove it up first and still must file a DIRECT exposure claim. If you try to use presumptive outside of Vietnam, it will get axed everytime. There is only one case that I can find of AO exposure from Alaska and it is the Haynes Pipeline corridor claim from Fort Greely. The DOD list is not complete and only about half of the bases in the U.S. and the World, ended up on the list to even try a presumptive fight or a direct exposure fight. Once again go look at the Agent Orange Category here at Hadit and see the bases all over the United States that sent personnel to the Mandatory Training Seminars in 1973 at Colorado Springs , Colo. I also broke the list down to show just how wide spread AO was even in North America. This is why our archives are so Valueable to each Veteran. It is also important to know that you do not ,,,I repeat do not have to have Perhiperal Neuropathy as secondary to DM11 like the VA states in its Presumptive list and 38 CFRs, before it will grant PN due to AO. I also have posted here in the Archives of 2 separate claims which won PN , Agent Orange exposures without any DM11 links. I am a Veteran with severe PN and no DM11 and am fighting the VA on AO with PN, IHD , Dry eyes appeals which will win eventually at BVA or CAVA. If I can prove exposure ....IF. Proving exposure needs much medical expertise, opinions and solid evidence that AO was used where the Veteran was stationed. As well as how the Veteran was exposed. Even though the discontinuence of AO was in 1975, the research clearly shows that AO may be active and threaten human life for decades. See James Cripps Work also from Dr. Arnold Schectters research as well as the Agent Orange section to see the BVA cases that I posted also in the AO archives.

I would also point out that DIRECT exposure will take much more time , evidence , medical opinions and a very strong chain linking all to it. However it will be, in the end ,the only way some of us can prove up our claims outside of Vietnam or a couple of the other areas listed. Once an area gets a Claims Awarded under Direct exposure then it opens the door for other Veterans. It will NEVER happen at the RO level and will take BVA at the least and probably the CAVA to win it properly. This is why my claim is so important for the other AO Alaska Veterans. My claim must set precedence. There is no denial of AO in Alaska period and DOD and VA know this , however their clock is ticking against them and they know that also. There is no other site which has more evidence on Agent Orange in Alaska that here at Hadit and I am posting new evidence when I get it just as I have for the last 5 years. I also urge other veterans to help post any evidence from anywhere concerning AO so that all Veterans may shut the door on the AO lie that has killed over 240000 vets and 300 per day. This lie must be brought to the eyes of not just America but to the World.

The Acute and Subacute points on the VA regulations concerning presumptive DM11 and PN awards are not to be followed in the DIRECT exposure issue. Though the VA rubber stamps this denial every time because a Veteran does not end up within 1 year of showing signs of DM11 or PN or 2 years for the subacute, it can be beaten in court and has with the 2 cases I have listed from the BVA.

Chuck brings up a very important point that METS levels are so broad and are not as good to use as the Infarction Rate numbers. Whenever possible I would always try and use the medical records which show most of the time a true infarction rate.

Ok ,,,, I hope this helps....

I hope that most importantly every Veteran remembers to ..........NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate