VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On H. Pylori

Rate this question

ntyler0341

Question

This past week, I checked myself into the ER for extreme chest pain. Turns out, it was the stomach. Yesterday, the Doctor received my blood results and I have H. Pylori. This stomach issue has been something I have been dealing with for years. It just so happened to become unbearable and impossible to get sleep. My question, is H. Pylori tied in to GWI? If so, how do I proceed from here? 9 months ago, I did file a claim for GWI; memory loss, diarrhea, joint pain, stomach pains, sleep apnea, rashes. Any help is appreciated.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

This is the basic criteria for GW syndrome claims:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/

I suggest you read the posts here carefully and pay attention to GulfVet45's advise to othr members here.

This link might help:

http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/library/randrep/infectious_paper/mr1018_1_ch1.html

and this:

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/2008/11/gulf-war-syndrome.html

However, in research for a SVR show I did here at hadit on the 9 infectious diseases that can be attributed as presumptivce to the Gulf War,I dont recall this disease being there at all. But by googling it I found it does seem to have some prevalance in Gulf War Veterans.

Still a good independent medical opinion could help service connect the H. pylori (possibly) if you had evidence of this infection inservice or were symptomatic for it, as documented in your SMRs.But the VA could rate it at a "0" SC level.

However you might have a stronger claim filed now if the VA determines you have a 'qualifying and unexplained “ illness as per the VA link above and you also might well have fibromyalgia.

I assume you received a VCAA letter. Are you able to scan it and attach it here to a reply as to the part that shows how the VA described the claim in the letter and also what evidence they asked for? (Cover all personal stuff like name,address, C file # before scanning and attaching it here.)

Have you been scheduled for a C & P yet?

In this VA case (I assume this was a GWI vet) it shows how they consider H- Pylon in ratings regarding other disabilities such as IBS , GERD etc etc.

Have you been diagnosed with IBS and/or GERD?

DO you have your complete SMRs and also a copy of your VA med recs?

H. Pylori is not one of the 9 infectious diseases. It is common in 50% of the worlds population with only a a small precentage that experiences any problems. It is usually contracted in childhood. It is easily remedy by the use of antibiotics and photon pump inhibitors such as Omperazple and Nexeum. It usaully takes 3 to 6 months of treatments and of coaurse some life style changes. No alcohol, caffine and no smoking. Tha bacteria loves an acidic environment as found in the gut. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. My 14 year old daughter has been suffering bad form it and was just diagnosed the otheir day after 10 years of suffering from it.

Berta, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, im strictly a smart phone kind of guy so as of right now, I have no access to scan my documents. To date, they have yet to schedule me for C&P. I have not been diagnosed for fibro or IBS or GERDS. But I do have medical evidence for diarrhea, joint pain, memory loss etc. I too googled this in respects to GWI and did come across some information but nothing really concrete. I do have my complete SMR's, but I do not have a copy of my VA Med Recs.

Bbknor: i found similar info on webmd, the only difference is they now say spicy foods, caffeine, nicotine is not known one way or another to cause or worsen this. Thanks