VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Quest To Prove Tbi

Rate this question

killemall

Question

Like many of you I spend way to much time thinking about this stuff but I decided to keep an updated logg of my progress and what better place to keep it than here.

Back in 98 while in basic training I was knocked unconcious when a fellow recruit hit me in the head from behind by swinging butt stock of his m16 like a batt. I was unconcious for nine hours and awakened at 3 am when I was found in the woods.

The drill sgts swept it under the rug and was simply labeled as a training accident.

Fast forward 14 years and I have many problems.

Sever loss of hearing

Loss of balance

Slurred speech

Numbness in left facial area with drooling

Decreased memory

It was all a lil too much and I contacted the suicide hotline.

In the middle of may 2012 I was seen by a phych and after describeing my symptoms the doc asked if I ever had an head injury to which I described the above.

A week later I went to intake were I was recommended to go through neurology.

The first week of june I was seen by my provider. I was given a cat scan wich came back clean.

My next apointment was the beginning of july 2012 with my provider. I am now scheduled for the following in the month of July 2012

Neurology

Neuneurology

Mri

Sleep apnea

Ill update the results of the appointmentments

well it sound as if you have the symptoms of TBI and your getting looked at for it...once they have a proper diagnosis and you get some treatment if there is any.

then you should have enough evidence to get it rated by the VA... half of the issue is being treated! they want to see that. make sure that if your using an outside Dr. that the records are giving to your VA PCP and he or she puts that info in your records.

Will do. My neurology appt is through an outside doc but the va is paying the bill.

After all these appts are done Ill request a copy of my c-file to see were I stand. Im just happy the ball is finally rolling.

The hardest thing for me so far is trying to locate someone who went to basic training with me. He found me unconcios. Coincidentally once at our duty station I was his nco for several years....

After all that I cant even remember his name!

Completed my testing with the shrink and all the backwards numbers and picture memorization ect. Took around 3 hours. He said they will let me know the results in a few weeks.

This wasnt a c and p exam. Just an exam to see if I do have Tbi. Figure its a good step to have completed though.

I have had chronic PTSD. Been on meds (which help) but still suffer from it. I was exposed to a blast in Iraq in 04'. I screened positive on the TBI verbal test. I was given a head CT that came back clean. I spent about 30 minutes with a VA doc that determined that I didn't currently have a TBI. I have headaches daily, forgetfulness, lack of concentration, sleeping problems, mood issues, dizziness, vertigo etc...According to the VA website, I have all but about 2 of the symptoms for TBI. My PCP thinks I have it as well but will not fight Polytrauma. I do have another appt with my PCP so that he can tell me the next course of action for the headaches. I know neurology will not treat headaches. The nurse told me that directly. I do have the backing of the OIF nurse and Military One Source. My question is...

What do I have to do for them to take me seriously and diagnose me with MTBI? Has too much time gone by? Do they think it is all of this is PTSD? Personally, I don't think they know enough to make such a judgement. What is the defining thing that makes it a TBI?

Heck if I know...

I contacted the suicide hot line and the next day I met a va shrink. I told him what problems I was haveing and he asked if I ever had a head injury. I told him what happenned to me and a few days later they put me in intake.

Told the sych what happenned and she said she didnt think tbi but depression.

I met with my va doc and told her my symptoms and she scheduled me for all these test. Honestly I feel for sure I have tbi. Just one year after my head injury my medical records sho I complained of blurry vision and went from perfect hearing to needing hearing aids.

How did know one include myself catch this? Funny thing is Id forgotten about being knocked uncoucios till that va doc asked me and never thought for a second my hearing loss ect all stemmed from that moment.

I can say without a doubt that my va doc who recommended all this testing is the only reason. She actually seemed to care and wanted to know whats wrong with me as much as I did.

God bless her and I hope you find one at the Va to help you as well