VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I just recently was told by my provider that I have fibromyalgia with the onset caused by my PTSD. Can I file for that as secondary to my PTSD? Has anyone had any expierence in filing for fibromyalgia secondary to PTSD? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

That would be much appreciated. Did you go through the rheumatologist, or how did the rule out everything else? If you don't mind me asking? Thanks again.

I never saw a rheumatologist. I saw my NP in primary care who first diagnosed me then she referred to the pain clinic where I saw another NP who again diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I had blood work completed to rule out arthritis. I was also sent to physical therapy where they gave me excercises to do on my own. I was started on Gabapentin and they had me at really high doses and then my feet swelled up twice thier normal size which is a side effect. Then she put me on Lyrica and just increased that on my last visit. I can see some improvement as far as pain going to real high level but my pain remains in the 4-5 range which is better than it was.

I was in Desert Storm so fibromyalgia is part of the Persian Gulf syndrome. I was told by vet rep that service connection for fibromyalgia was granted and just found out today via e-benefits that my claim has went backward to the need further review. I had some other claims in with my fibromyalgia that when he looked were deferred so I am guessing that is what is from. I went from my claim ending in June to now could be as late as November. When you go to see a provider they will definitely test you for trigger points pain which is the only real way to diagnose fibromyalgia. If you have any further questions let me know.