VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Homebound

Rate this question

believe

Question

My C&P exam records show that the doctor listed me as homebound. Do I have to still apply for homebound or could I be awarded that when a decision is made on my claim without ever applying for it?

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have proof and evidence of a stressor which is in my records. I thought I listed that the doctor said this but I guess I didnt. It does state that the disability PTSD and panic disorder with agorophobia is as least as likely as not caused by or a result of assualts. So I wasnt really concerned about step 1 because I knew I needed that and had that. I was trying to figure out if I could get housebound since the doctor stated that. What kind of percentage should I be looking to get?

• HadIt.com Elder

The criteria for Housebound or SMC S is 100 or Iu for 1 condition plus an additional 60 percent. this is called statutory housebound,

The other requirement is to actually be housebound and agoraphobia is a very good reason for that.

Hang in there.

Ok. To clear this up there are actually two "housebound's"

One is SMC "housebound". The criteria for it are to have a single 100 percent disability and additional disabilities of 60% or more OR

being housebound "in fact", that is, if your doc says you are housebound. This is for disabled Vets and there is no "means test" that is, you dont have to have limited income or assets. Its a service connected compensation Special Monthly Compensation.

The other is SMP "housebound". This is part of a pension program and requires eligibility for "pension". Pension eligibility has strict income and net worth guidelines. You also must have served "during time of war" to be eligible for pension. The advantage of SMP "housebound" over SMC is that you do not have to have "service connected" to qualify. You could be housebound because you got old and your joints are worn out. You dont have to be wounded in the war.

I think the VA lumps these two VA programs together, in part, to confuse Vets so many do not apply. Some think they dont qualify because they make or have too much money. This is true with pension but not true with compensation. Others think they have to have been injured in the war and have to be service connected to collect housebound. This is true with SMC housebound but not with pension housebound.

Edited by broncovet

Thanks for all the help. I am definitely housebound and it is pretty bad the severity of my case which I have plenty of evidence to prove that claim. I'm not getting into to specifics but my agoraphobia is extremely bad. I came so close to not going to that C&P exam. How often is that required if you are awarded compensation? I just don't know if I can go back there and especially on a regular basis.

Also no1 has said if housebound is something that I have to apply for even though the doctor has me listed as housebound. Does any1 know the answer to that?

Yes, apply pronto!

While there are some circumstances when the VA is supposed to "infer" housebound, dont bet the farm on the VA doing that. Instead, go ahead and apply, and after you get it, you can challenge the effective date on the basis that VA was supposed to infer it. Otherwise, the VA can blow you off indefinately. Just because you go to the doc, this does not mean the VA takes everything the doc says as a claim. The VA says you have to "show intent" to apply for benefits and they automatically assume when you go to the doc that you are seeking "treatment" not benefits from the doc.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete53 knows about HB for panic disorder and agoraphobia. I got mine for TDIU plus 60% and I had to file a CUE claim to get it. Actually, I just asked for it and the VA called a CUE and awarded it to me. If I had not claimed it I never would have got it even with Bradly vs Peake. If you claim HB for a medical condition you probably will have a C&P exam for it. If it is statutory then the VA should infer it and no exam. However, as others have said if you don't claim it you probably don't get it. I got two years retro. Any PTSD or mental health vet with a 100% should claim it. VA is supposed to consider it and if they don't I think that is a possible CUE. Remember every dime you get from the VA will go into making any cola's larger for you.