This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Need some advice
      Hello to my fellow Brothers and Sisters this is my first post, I've been a long time lurker. I am a recently discharged OEF Vet. I joined the National Guard prior to my ETS. I really only joined for the healthcare to help out my family members. I knew my mind and body was breaking down too much to carry on doing active duty Infantry and I wasn't allowed to re-class. The Guard offered me one so I decided to re-class in the Guard to a HR MOS. I didn't receive a bonus and haven't gone to my AIT for the re-class yet. I've only participated in one Drill weekend. I recently received my award letter for 100% SC P&T. I don't know what to do now about staying in the Guard? Will I be penalized by the VA? Will it change my rating? Will the Guard just MEB me? Any advice is appreciated.
    • Proof C&P Exams are often frauds
      We'll, I have been lucky so far, but we will see.  I have a C&P coming up for my secondary for heart disease from HBP.  I am scheduled for a echocardiogram. Just went throught all the tests with my cardialogist., to enclude an echocardiogram, and those records went in with my claim. I will compare the two. Maybe my C&P doc (or RN) will be a podiatrist.  You never know.. Hamslice      
    • Should I file a claim now or wait?
      Thanks everybody, I think I will go ahead and push that go button!  The main reason is I want to establish the effective date soon as possible. 
      Well, yes, remember who pays for your C and P exam.  Still, regulations provide that if you have a balance where 2 docs differ on opinion, the VA CAN choose one over the other, but has to give a reasons and bases as to why.   For example, one doctor can do a more thorough exam.  Or, one doctor can be preferred if he states he read your records, while another doc does not say this.   If you have been denied, the VA is required to give you the benefit of the doubt if the claim is "in equipose", that is, there is a balance between positive and negative evidence.   When you appeal, you can certainly argue that your private doc did a more thorough exam.   HOwever, your private doc may/may not made an applicable nexus statement.  YOu need to check your records to see if the nexus is there.  
    • Reopened Claim & sent my Medical Records as evidence.
      No real update other than they've been treating my back/migraines with medication. They're setting up an eye exam to see if that has anything to do with the migraines. The doctor they sent me to examined me and was amazed at how bad my physical condition was and the VA not taking any responsibility by not service connecting any of my conditions. (They told me that on an MRI I had in 2000 that I had herniated/bulged discs) I'm still waiting on some kind of update, but it's still in 'gathering evidence' stage. They have my service records now as well as chiropractic records and the records from this recent trip to the doctor. Wondering if I'll get another C&P exam scheduled as I can't find anything in my eBenefits records history about the first one I had and the medical building I had it done at has been out of business for several years. They did send an email saying they should have a decision on my claim by April 2017??? Wow...That's weird they would even set that deadline so far out...so I really don't know what to do but wait...
    • DRO hearing
      Berta please read and tell me what you think. John D is on this for me as I type this.   "With respect to the issues pending before the VA which are, service connected bowel, bladder and PT (Permanent and Total) status, please consider;   1st with respect to the issue of PT. I have provided for the VA, very probative evidence not only from Dr. Craig Bash, but also the SSA that clearly shows that I should be PT. VA has yet to consider this evidence and I wish to go on record, that if the VA would rate me PT, I would drop ALL pending issues for service connected disability. This seems the easiest way for everyone and will save myself and the VA time and effort.   2nd, if the VA denies PT or refuses to allow issue 1 noted above to take place, then consider the following; I understand through my POA, that the DRO is mandating a C&P exam for the bowel/bladder. Apparently to reconcile Dr. Bash's IMO and other medical evidence in my favor, against a refuting record from 2012-2013. This constitutes a CUE in my opinion as the VA is obligated to not only apply the doctrine of reasonable doubt under CFR 3.102, but also apply VA's CFR mandate of relative equipoise in my favor. The evidence of record is clearly in my favor and Dr. Bash's opinion is at least as probative if not more than any other refuting opinion. I feel as if the VA is "doctor shopping" to secure a opinion against me, when the evidence is already clearly in my favor.    In short, I will not be attending any additional CP exam for bowel/bladder and I encourage the VA to rate me PT of which I will drop all remaining claims. By doing this, we can save everyone the time and effort to further develop and adjudicate pending issues. This would also allow the VA to more timely assist other veterans by clearing my issues off of the board."
      Wow, I go to my C&P Thursday.. Sorry to hear that man.
    • Increase Upgrade rather then DRO or Re open
      A claim for increased disability in a compensation claim that was previously denied because all service-connected (SC) disabilities were considered noncompensable is a “claim for increase.”   I received on Dec 30 2015 eed of 8/2015  I received a non  compensable rating of migraines the CNP and the DBQ  stated I was prostrate weekly so in 3/20/2016 I filed for an upgrade within the year I also submitted new evidence a DBQ by a VA doctor in my favor as well as pointed at the past evidence in the DBQ done during the CNP of the orig claim,    now I was told I Cant file for an upgrade unless a year has passed is that true even though I have new evidence? Also will the VA see that if I cant and change it to an UPgrade ?
      I lived I a VA hospital 6 months with failed pancreas surgeries.. yet they take the word of a screwy C&P examiner over the 6 months of VA records as an inpatient. The doctors and nurses write every move you make, every word you utter. 6 months of those records fill up those huge paper boxes used for zerox paper. You would think the VA would read those records. Instead they send you to some doctor who is only there to make you look bad at a C&P exam. Instead of a neutral doctor the ones they use for the C&P act like you are a fraud. They see you for a few minutes ask questions like a bad interrogation, trying to trip you up with statements. Those answers that are undeniable proof are in the records from your service and the 20 years of medical records plus the 6 months as an inpatient.   IMHO  
    • PTSD Claim and Reconsideration transfered claim was lost and found very confused
      I am a Veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD by my VA Doctors in Montrose NY they implored me to go to the Montrose PTSD unit and I was told that the Montrose VA only takes Veterans who have in service stressors. I filed my claim for PTSD in Aug of 2015 the denied me in Jan 0f 2016 and never sent me a SOC or denial letter and denied me with out a CNP and  with out reviewing my PTSD diagnosis of Aug 2015 and my stay at PTSD unit in Oct until Nov 2015 since then I asked for a reconsideration  of the PTSD decision after I surmised I was denied and I also submitted new evidence like my diagnosis and the the stay at Montrose PTSD unit and Buddy Letter from a shipmate I did this on 3/20/2016 they closed it with no letters sent no CNP etc no letters in system I was told to put it back in and I did on 4/42016 and it was closed again on 4/26/2016 I then was told to put contention back in I did on 4/30/2016 and this was closed on 5/6/2016 no letter no SOC no CNP no nothing. my case was in NJ regional office I contacted them and the Homeless veterans coordinator then got my caseopened EED of 3/20/2016, then he had my case transferred to NY because I am homeless in NY and then it was closed again, I was   recently at a  standown where a Homeless veterans person with the regional office in NY  who contacted me verified I was a homeless took a state ment , she contacted me and told me that my case was going to a special unit I also have congressional liason who has been supportive and in contact I should be red flagged for homeless and it was a FDC claim as well they have a congressional inquiry where they found an old appeal from 2014 that was never dealt with any ways I need to understand what is going on or if anyone has deal with a similar situation, { How long my appeal since 2014 DRO should that take and also how long should a reconsideration for a homeless vet take this is not a new claim any input please.

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

willidx4

What Additional Evidence Do I Need For My Claim To Be Successful?

23 posts in this topic

What additional evidence do I need for my claim to be successful?

I was denied a PTSD claim back in 2005. I was in the Gulf and served in the grunts in a combat zone. I was diagnosed with PTSD by a Psychiatrist (private Doctor) in 2005 my GAF score was a 43. The VA needless to say stated I didn't have PTSD according to the VA Psychologist that did my 30 minute C&P exam I had a severe personality disorder and in her notes she gave me a GAF score of 38. I never filed a NOD at the time I just wanted to be done with the VA after reading the C&P examiners notes I was basically called a scam artist. I filed again for PTSD in August 2012 and was diagnosed again by the same private Doctor what other material evidence do I need to make sure my claim is successful

You need a DX from a VA doctor. Keep trying!

Willidx4 you might try describing your symptoms to your PCP (assuming you go to a VA facility).

Try asking for a referral to see a MH DR. That may get the ball rolling. Good luck to you.

VetswifeIndy

I agree with both... Get scheduled to see a VA mental health physician. They will prescribe medications if need be and schedule you for appts. There are other programs and classes that I attend in my out-patient clinic that are very helpful also. The Va Medical center also offers programs like trauma recovery program (TRP), classes on anger mgmt etc. I also got a letter from my treating psychiatrist to submit on my claim. But just remember....DON't miss your appointments. Good Luck to You!

Thanks folks I feel better about the direction Im going in now. I have a current Dx of PTSD and Major Depression from a private Psychiatrist and that evidence has been submitted to the VA. I still see my private Psychiatrist once a month and I have contacted a local vet center to make arrangements to attend some group counseling sessions once a week. I went to my Regional Office and requested to be seen by a MH doctor and was informed my income disqualified me from being seen. I have been prescribed Wellbutrin SR, Klonopin and Remeron by my private Psychiatrist

I got a DX from a local Vet's Center "PTSD: chronic & severe" The VA just ignored that DX and went with a very old DX to grant TDIU. Since the VA has made themselves the sole power to DX PTSD in veterans if I could not get the VA to dx me with PTSD I would get an IMO to DX me with either depression,Panic or GAD. This way you side step the PTSD roadblock. It all boils down to the same thing.

I got a DX from a local Vet's Center "PTSD: chronic & severe" The VA just ignored that DX and went with a very old DX to grant TDIU. Since the VA has made themselves the sole power to DX PTSD in veterans if I could not get the VA to dx me with PTSD I would get an IMO to DX me with either depression,Panic or GAD. This way you side step the PTSD roadblock. It all boils down to the same thing.

Thanks for the advice John999 are you saying rather than fight the VA on the PTSD issue I should get another Doc and get a dx of GAD? I had no idea they boiled down to the same thing in terms of compensation.

Thanks folks I feel better about the direction Im going in now. I have a current Dx of PTSD and Major Depression from a private Psychiatrist and that evidence has been submitted to the VA. I still see my private Psychiatrist once a month and I have contacted a local vet center to make arrangements to attend some group counseling sessions once a week. I went to my Regional Office and requested to be seen by a MH doctor and was informed my income disqualified me from being seen. I have been prescribed Wellbutrin SR, Klonopin and Remeron by my private Psychiatrist

If you are "enrolled" in VA health care, income or net worth has nothing to do with medical care. What I would do in your situation is to get something in writing denying the care. You might have to make a request for care in writing to the VAMC's director, in order to get a written reply. Then, there may be some further options available. I can think of other things as well, but I have no personal experience to go by in this area. I'd think that the current debacle concerning mental health care and PTSD can be made to work in your favor. It sounds like you currently have no service connected conditions.

In other words, it may be Lawyer time. Is the VA providing the drugs under the veterans drug act?

Edited by Chuck75

If you are "enrolled" in VA health care, income or net worth has nothing to do with medical care. What I would do in your situation is to get something in writing denying the care. You might have to make a request for care in writing to the VAMC's director, in order to get a written reply. Then, there may be some further options available. I can think of other things as well, but I have no personal experience to go by in this area. I'd think that the current debacle concerning mental health care and PTSD can be made to work in your favor. It sounds like you currently have no service connected conditions.

In other words, it may be Lawyer time. Is the VA providing the drugs under the veterans drug act?

Chuck 75 I am not enrolled in VA health care soley based on the fact that I have been denied multiple times for health care from the VA based on income alone. I have been told by the VA in Durham NC (twice) and the by the DAV that I must be service connected before they will issue me an ID card or helthcare of any kind. I have been pretty lucky I have private insurance so all of my MH care and drugs are taken care of by United Health Care. The last time I went to the VA I was basically informed that with 3 dependants, in Raleigh NC making over 68k a year made you richdry.png so I could not be treated by the VA without being service connected. You mentioned getting an Attorney to help with my PTSD claim what can a Lawyer do for me concerning paper work that I can't do for myself. I thought about just handing the entire thing over to a Lawyer and letting them deal with the VA however what more access would they have to the VA that I don't. I would love to gets some answers so I can have an excuse to find a good lawyer and let him or her worry about this stuff.blink.png

well when I started going to the VA, they to asked me for my income infromation. I kindly told them that the Military did not ask me for my income infromation when I was drafted and sent to Viet Nam, so why is it a problem now. I do know that the VA will help veterans out that are not SC. my brother get his hearing aids and his glasses from the VA at no cost. But his meds do cost him more thru the VA than going to Walmart.,BTW I went thru 16 weeks of therapy for my PTSD and I to go to the MH hospital every 2 months to vet to vet meetings. I still see the head Doctor on a regular bases AND HAVE NOT BEEN RATED FOR PTSD as of yet, yes I have filed for it back last May . The Ebenefits is show 10/09/12 to 04/2013 for a decision. Oh well just waiting like most on here. Good luck

I went to my Regional Office and requested to be seen by a MH doctor and was informed my income disqualified me from being seen. I have been prescribed Wellbutrin SR, Klonopin and Remeron by my private Psychiatrist

Go back and tell them the above is BS.

Your income does not disqualify you from receiving VAMC health care.

It would most likely put you in Priority Group 7 or 8.

Give this a try.

http://www.va.gov/healthBenefits/resources/eligibility_check.asp

What additional evidence do I need for my claim to be successful?

I was denied a PTSD claim back in 2005. I was in the Gulf and served in the grunts in a combat zone. I was diagnosed with PTSD by a Psychiatrist (private Doctor) in 2005 my GAF score was a 43. The VA needless to say stated I didn't have PTSD according to the VA Psychologist that did my 30 minute C&P exam I had a severe personality disorder and in her notes she gave me a GAF score of 38. I never filed a NOD at the time I just wanted to be done with the VA after reading the C&P examiners notes I was basically called a scam artist. I filed again for PTSD in August 2012 and was diagnosed again by the same private Doctor what other material evidence do I need to make sure my claim is successful

will,

I believe if you were denied benefits due to a PD diagnosis versus a PTSD diagnosis,

during this period - your claim should be re-adjudicated.

Perhaps someone else has the link handy and will post it.

If not try doing a search on the web site.

Many claimants were denied for PTSD and stamped with a different label of Personality Disorder.

BTW - did you happen to have any TBI or mTBI while on active duty?

You might want to research through the links

at this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=va+%2B+PTSD+%2B+Personality+Disorder&rlz=1C1CHFA_enUS484US484&oq=va+%2B+PTSD+%2B+Personality+Disorder&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This one is also informative.

http://www.vva.org/ppd-faq.html

Willie

You tell the VA that you are suicidal and they will treat you in a hurry. If you have PTSD, depression, panic or gad this would be a very common feeling. When I was dx'ed with a major mental illness the VA did not even have a dx of PTSD. You can get 100% for any mental illness that has a valid DX. You can't get it for mental retardation or personality disorder. I was discharged from the Army on my return from Vietnam as a personality disorder. The VA reversed this and changed to a compensable mental illness and I got compensation. This is pretty unusual at this time, but I had evidence. Once the VA has got it into their heads you are a PD they will look for any sign that you are a PD and ignore other evidence that you have a real mental illness. You have to fight them with medical evidence.

will,

I believe if you were denied benefits due to a PD diagnosis versus a PTSD diagnosis,

during this period - your claim should be re-adjudicated.

Perhaps someone else has the link handy and will post it.

If not try doing a search on the web site.

Many claimants were denied for PTSD and stamped with a different label of Personality Disorder.

BTW - did you happen to have any TBI or mTBI while on active duty?

You might want to research through the links

at this link:

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

This one is also informative.

http://www.vva.org/ppd-faq.html

re-adjudicated ?????? I reopened the claim from 2005 when you say "re-adjudicated" are yor referancing some other avanue besides just reopening my old PTSD claim? I read the below links I very informative reading. As far as TBI no and I thank God for that.

Go back and tell them the above is BS.

Your income does not disqualify you from receiving VAMC health care.

It would most likely put you in Priority Group 7 or 8.

Give this a try.

http://www.va.gov/he...ility_check.asp

Thanks for the link I applied however they did ask for my income/network but I read nothing stating I would be axed becuse of income. Thank You

Willie

You tell the VA that you are suicidal and they will treat you in a hurry. If you have PTSD, depression, panic or gad this would be a very common feeling. When I was dx'ed with a major mental illness the VA did not even have a dx of PTSD. You can get 100% for any mental illness that has a valid DX. You can't get it for mental retardation or personality disorder. I was discharged from the Army on my return from Vietnam as a personality disorder. The VA reversed this and changed to a compensable mental illness and I got compensation. This is pretty unusual at this time, but I had evidence. Once the VA has got it into their heads you are a PD they will look for any sign that you are a PD and ignore other evidence that you have a real mental illness. You have to fight them with medical evidence.

Suicidal I'm not I have a security clearance and a job I really need to keep so I don't want to go that route with those folks.. I did make arrangments to see another Doc to get a Dx

Thanks John I have an appointment with the local Vet Center on 10/16 to get me setup for some outpatient treatment. Now how that is going to work because I was denied for health care in the VA system is a mystery to me?

re-adjudicated ?????? I reopened the claim from 2005 when you say "re-adjudicated" are yor referancing some other avanue besides just reopening my old PTSD claim? I read the below links I very informative reading. As far as TBI no and I thank God for that.

searched the term "re-adjudicated" is there a link some place that will tell me how to make the request

Williedx4

they will give you treatment regardless of how much you make. Since your income is above their threshold what they will do is charge you a specific amount each time you visit the Hospital. Your insurance will still pay as though you were using your primary care Dr. However, if you are sent to a Vet Center that treatment is free regardless of how much you use it. Your pamplet or brochure they gave you at intake should give you an idea of the pharmacy charge. Your insurance carrier may have the VA listed under it's hospitals to get an idea of other costs.

Good luck and God Bless

You need 3 things to get compensated for PTSD:

1. Medical evidence of a current disability, that is a diagnosis of PTSD.

2. Verification of a "stressor" event in service. If you served in combat, the VA is supposed to make the verification of a PTSD stressor easier. Note: YOu do NOT have to be present at the stressor event. Example: Your close friend gets his head blown off in service. You did not have to actually witness his decapitation...hearing about it afterwords is enough to be a PTSD stressor.

3. A doctors statement linking the above together. This is a nexus statement and it should be similar to "the Veterans PTSD is at least as likely as not due to (event that happened in military service) while in the service.

If you are missing ANY of these three, you will need these before you can expect to be service connected for PTSD.

"well when I started going to the VA, they to asked me for my income infromation. I kindly told them that the Military did not ask me for my income infromation when I was drafted and sent to Viet Nam, so why is it a problem now. I do know that the VA will help veterans out that are not SC. my brother get his hearing aids and his glasses from the VA at no cost.

During Pres. Bush's administration VA eligibility was changed to means tested, unless you had a service connected injury with a rating of 30% or more. In Iowa a few years ago it was around $33-35,000 a year. It is actually county by county for the threshhold.

Deanbrt

Your blaming President Bush for the means test is inaccurate.

President Bush was president from 20 Jan. 2001 through Jan. 20,2009.

Clinton was president from 1993 to 2001.

Public law 107-135 implemented from earlier passed laws in 2001. It was actually under the Clinton administration when the means test legislation was passed, not Bush.

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=2466

If politiciking is allowed, then it at least needs to be accurate, adding that the backlog under President Obama went from 390,000 claims to 900,000 so Obama has not been good for Veterans at all.

Thanks for the info guys I’m currently being treated by Vet center at no cost to me. I'm also working with a private consular and a new Psychiatrist