• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Thomas54

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • That is always the question, "What could they be doing NOW?" Regardless of DRO Review or Official Hearing, not unusual for the actual DRO to take 3 to 9 mos to mail out the Decision Letter. Take into consideration the possible size of any Retro Award. Anything over a certain figure, I think $25K, has to be signed off on by the Rating Dept MFIC. Plus or minus, I think your in the $24K range for SMC S back to 09. Then, there's always a possible Denial lurking around, which would require a SSOC be prepared to accompany your Denial Letter. Not much you can do at this point, just try to relax, the old "It is what it Is." I trust you have your Direct Deposit Bank/CU account set up for Immediate Txt/E-Mail notifications of all Financial Transactions. Retro Payments, in my experience (9 over past 6 yrs), always hit the bank well in advance of the actual Award Letter arriving. E-Ben is actually starting to show fairly Real Time Award Info. My last 2 Awards  12/15 & 6/22/16 were reference within a couple days of the Decision, followed closely by Retro Deposits. 12/15 Award letter didn't arrive till mid 04 and 06 award letter followed Retro Deposit by 1 day. Does your State have and are you getting the State DAV 100% or IU Property Tax Exemption? Semper Fi  
    • A couple of weeks ago, I was informed by the Nashville VR&E Regional Office that I was finally assigned a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) in Memphis.  After calling and getting the wrong departments for an hour and a half, I finally was able to talk to him.  From the beginning of the phone call he was extremely rude, because I must have interrupted his afternoon siesta.  I explained that I was trying to re-enter the VR&E program to beome trained in a career that I could work in.  He flat out lied and stated that the VR&E program is NOT for education, and I had to use GI BILL or VEAP benefits to go to college, and that the VR&E program does NOT provide any equipment either.  So I asked him if his statement was his official position, despite the fact that the VA Website and 38 USC Chapter 31 state that training is available, provided you meet the criteria.  He repeated that NO education is available through the VR&E program.  He also stated that his office is under-staffed, overworked, and he has appointments until October.  I asked him if that meant my initial appointment with him wasn't going to be until November, but that he was already telling me my request was going to be denied?  At this point, he asked my name and last four.  He told me I already have a Bachelors degree and nothing more is needed.  He then told me goodbye. I did not contact him to start a war, but he has drawn the line in the sand.  I have sent certified letters detailing his disregard for U.S. Code (Federal Law) to the Nashville VR&E office, and Washington VR&E office, apprising them of the situation.  I also contacted my Congressman, and have been assigned a Congressional Aide to follow this through at the Washington D.C. level.  I refuse to see the Memphis VRC or even be processed by that office.  So what should have been routine procedure, has now turned into a war with a tenured Government employee, who doesn't have a clue on the regulations of performing their job.
    • Update 20, I see I had a C&P yesterday.  Did not attend.  Like the last one. Veteran not needed. Hopefully I will see the examiners imput on myHealthyvet soon. Hamslice  
    • Why didn't you go outside on the Choice program if over 30 days? That is always my choice, if I have time. But now I have several appointments per week and it's more economical time wise, knocking out requirements in the VA hospital. It's so much easier having my personal tbi MSW priority schedule for me: she is smart and fast unlike me :-) It doesn't sound like your dental is doing too good. We don't have a real swift one either. The dentist talked a good game, cried about how busy she was, and was dead wrong on my diagnosis for Chapter 31 dental care I should have received that cost me on my bill. After 2 years wasted trying to get my $400 back after insurance I had to buy ($75/mo!), I just said screw it when the head of the hospital started delaying me. I thought it poor leadership.
    • I STAND CORRECTED ON MY PART OF THIS POST   YOU NEED NEW & MATERIAL EVIDENCE  AFTER   A FINAL DECISION IS MADE..OR  USUALLY REOPEN CLAIM. NOD is usually for R.O. DRO Hearings and BVA JOHN999 IS CORRECT

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roses15534

Dfas And Va Retro Pay

11 posts in this topic

Ok I went from 30% to 80% was informed this in sept 2012 this dates back to the effective date of dec 2010. so basically 20 months of retro pay i assume i know I know what assuming does. But if its 20 months and my retired pay is 1,600.00 and my crdp is 1,600.00 a month I have got my first payment.

Is it 1600.00 for the 20 months? how is it determined what dfas pays and va pays for retro? I got the retro from dfas 8K then 25% taxes so I got 6K in my account then it goes to VA for audit am I thinking rith that VA should be paying 24,000.00 retro or is there some weird math?

1,600.00 X 20 Months = 32,000.00 - 8,000.00 from dfas = 24,000.00 owed ??????

Unfortunately, it does not work that way.

You wont be collecting "2012" disability pay for 2010. You will be getting 2010 pay in 2012..and no interest.

I dont know about retirement, and I dont know about CRDP, but I do know the VA pays no interest and you only get paid what you should have gotten last year, or the year before, minus what they already paid you. If you owe them money for retirement or CDRP, then that will be deducted also.

It sounds liike the 30% you have already been paid for, will also be deducted.

Edited by broncovet

I believe you are trying to equate DFAS language and principles directly with VA language and principles. Doesn't always work.

As for my crdp is 1,600.00 a month ... That 1600/CRDP is the amount of your military retirement pay that will be "returned" to you each month under the Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) program.

Now, the VA (actually, I think the easier part here) ...

Your retroactive compensation from the VA should be (using your stated 20 months, effective from 10/2010. When figuring the rate, don't forget spouse & dependents):

The 80% rate from the rate table dated 12-1-2009 x 12 months minus the amount of VA compensation you had received

plus The 80% rate from the rate table dated 12-1-2011 x 8 months minus the amount of VA compensation you had received.

As there was no COLA for CY 2011, the rate table dated 12-1-2009 remained valid for 2011.

Ok I went from 30% to 80% was informed this in sept 2012 this dates back to the effective date of dec 2010. so basically 20 months of retro pay i assume i know I know what assuming does. But if its 20 months and my retired pay is 1,600.00 and my crdp is 1,600.00 a month I have got my first payment.

Is it 1600.00 for the 20 months? how is it determined what dfas pays and va pays for retro? I got the retro from dfas 8K then 25% taxes so I got 6K in my account then it goes to VA for audit am I thinking rith that VA should be paying 24,000.00 retro or is there some weird math?

1,600.00 X 20 Months = 32,000.00 - 8,000.00 from dfas = 24,000.00 owed ??????

I don't want to put a curse on myself but if I win my CUE I will get 100% at the 1971 rate forward to August 30, 2001 when I got 100% rate from the VA. I don't even know what the rate was in 1971, but I will take it if I get lucky. I think 100% in 1971 was probably $1200 bucks or less. This is a clear win for the VA either way it turns out because I lose 30 years of potential interest.

With CRDP, you get both so you don't have to worry about the VA offset cutting into your retro. DFAS should audit your account to make sure you have no debts to the government (I do: severance repayment). If you don't you should receive your VA retro without a hitch.

DFAS retro is taxable correct? what about the VA retro is it taxable?