VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cola

Rate this question

carlie

Question

http://vetlawyers.com/vetblog/index.php/2012/11/cost-of-living-increase-passes-congress/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BergmannMoore+%28Bergmann+%26+Moore%29

"Cost of Living Increase passes Congress

On November 14, 2012, in COLA, Department of Veterans Affairs, by CharlesSheehanMiles

Congress Passes 1.7% COLA for Veterans

Veterans benefits is an important issue followed closely by Bergmann & Moore. We are pleased to share welcome news for our Veterans and families concerned about the annual Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for disability benefits paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Acting immediately upon returning to Washington after the election, today the United States Senate passed the annual benefits increase of 1.7 percent for 2013. The Senate sent the legislation to the White House, where President Barack Obama is expected to sign it soon. On September 27, 2011, Bergmann & Moore alerted Veterans and reporters about how one or more Senators were blocking what, until two months ago, was a bi-partisan, no-nonsense bill. The secret hold was lifted today, and Senators quickly passed the bill.

The bill appears to have passed in time for VA to add the increases to benefits effective for 2013. If the COLA bill was delayed, then Veterans and dependents may have had to wait until February 2013 or later to see the increase."

For Veterans and dependents receiving VA disability benefits, this means and increase of $47 per month for a single Veteran rated at 100%, or an annual increase of $564. Expect VA to publish the exact amounts at VA’s web site in the next few months.

Let us all hope the a few bad actors in the Senate don’t ever disrupt or threaten to disrupt Veterans’ hard-earned disability benefits again.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

now regardless which senator was playing the "hold game" it is now a moot issue and our checks will be correct for next year, I know it's not a lot but it is better than nothing one or 2 meals or a tank or 2 of gas remember the fed employees are held to )% raises or a .5 % in 2013 they are hoping to get it retroactive to Jan 1, the mation is being told we are takers and don't need raises we all have prepaid for our compensation and injury checks they are not "giving us anything" we have earned it.

Hello Boomer and Test Vet.

Thanks for the Headsup article Boomer ......kinda lets us a hint .

TestVet ,,,,yea its a moot point , but I just wanted to know .....they really don't care about any veteran. NEVER GIVE UP . God Bless, C.C.

• HadIt.com Elder

All of us who get SSA, VA or federal pensions are vulnerable to hidden cuts to our benefits if gangsters in Congress regigger the formula for the COLA. I do write my senator and congressman telling them that the quickest way to loose my vote forever is to cut SSA or VA in order to make a deal to cut debt.