VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Exit Examination

Rate this question

SpcDearman

Question

hello Family,

i haven't posted in a while but have been constantly thinking about my denial. I want to thank everyone that finally convinced me to start thinking about an IMO. I am waiting on my medical records that were sent on 11-14-12. For some reason I have not received this and I am about 10 miles away. I have a question though.

I was wondering if a soldier HAS to have an exit examination upon separation.

Also, has anyone here had an exit examination and advised of all that was wrong and not have any physical done or xrays done before separation.

I ask due to wondering that since I explained all of my issues on my last day of service why there were no xrays done then.

Thanks for the responses.

dearmeat

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Supposedly there is a requirement for an exit exam. Mainly, it's to "check the box", and preclude "unjustified" claims after exit.

The Navy did do an "exam" when I was released from active duty in the 60's.

Basically, if you made it to the exam without assistance, you passed.

The doctor (actually done by a doctor, no less) cautioned me up front that unresolved medical problems would cause a "medical hold", delaying separation for at least a month or so. At the time, I was recovering from an operation, incisions were only partially healed, and I wasn't supposed to lift "heavy" things. I guess a 75Lb or so sea bag didn't qualify as heavy.

Anyway, it was obvious that I would be better off in the short term by going back home, and using private doctors to deal with any real problems.

As I understand it, these days, the quality and thoroughness of the exam at various locations and by different examiners varies tremendously.

I never had an exit physical. Majority of RVN vets who were ETS'ing out of Nam did not have exit physicals I think.

From what I have been able to determine; the army and another branch started requiring this after 1994. i am attempting to find out why i wasn't given a physical upon exit. How can you deny a person saying his injury isn't service related when he complained about it BEFORE separation and was not given an exam when he complained about his shoulder upon separation. Seems as if the RO would say that the VA PCP's IMO is as least as likely if not Likely that this doctor is full of it.

Supposedly there is a requirement for an exit exam. Mainly, it's to "check the box", and preclude "unjustified" claims after exit.

The Navy did do an "exam" when I was released from active duty in the 60's.

Basically, if you made it to the exam without assistance, you passed.

The doctor (actually done by a doctor, no less) cautioned me up front that unresolved medical problems would cause a "medical hold", delaying separation for at least a month or so. At the time, I was recovering from an operation, incisions were only partially healed, and I wasn't supposed to lift "heavy" things. I guess a 75Lb or so sea bag didn't qualify as heavy.

Anyway, it was obvious that I would be better off in the short term by going back home, and using private doctors to deal with any real problems.

As I understand it, these days, the quality and thoroughness of the exam at various locations and by different examiners varies tremendously.

Exactly. this was so informal that I even questioned him about it. He did my exam in the hallway with quite a few other soldiers present. He just stood in front of me checking boxes.

• HadIt.com Elder

Chuck

They told Army guys the same thing about medical hold who were ETS'ing out of RVN. These guys have been away from home for at least a year and they want them to stay around for an extra 90 days or something for an exam. Of course, they said "Forget it and just let me go". This was a policy to cheat vets. The army had lots of ways to not document possible SC injuries.

• In Memoriam

In Naval Aviation we, a crowd of about 30 men getting out, were told to strip. I was one of them. One Doctor did the exam. He walked around the room, did the prostate exam, and asked us, as a group, if any of us had mental problems. Then he asked us if we had any other problems.

Of coarse everyone said no. There was not any privacy or detailed examination.

This was at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif. in 1971.

Edited by Stretch