Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Augusta Ga Va Clothing Allowance

30 posts in this topic

I know this has been mention 100 times,but this is what VA is trying to do with clothing allowance, I had a back brace that was not through

VA and the first guy says it has to be through VA to get paid. My responce was I don't get care for my back from VA, its through

a private Dr, VA won't see me for my back problem. So the supervisor who pays clothing was in a meeting until I ask for the regulation

that says it has to be issue through VA to get paid,they could'nt. Then she says I have to appeal the decision and to write a NOD as

to why I disagree, so I ask for paper to write my disagreement she don't have any, so one of the co worker gave me some paper and

told me to write everything they said and before I could get it wrote the supervisor say stop right there sign it I will pay you for the brace.

I was suppose to get three but my left hand is not sc for carpal tunnel just the right and the back. I just had to show the prescription for

my back brace and the brace it self. So dont let them s**t you they must pay you. ALL this was after I recieve my letter, just got paid for

one,but was denied 2 other. Now the back brace was approve today!!

tmoe - thanks for the great info!!! I'm sure it'll help someone.

tmoe -

I received a letter months ago and still haven't seen any cloting allowance from the Augusta VAMC. I too applied for dual and was told over the phone that I was only approved single.

I am still waiting on my clothing allowance. I called the prosthetics department and I was told that they are still processing it.

First to be sure, the VA isn't going to pay more than two clothing allowances to any veteran. The rules only call for payment of two , not three. four or more. Now, to be sure, if your brace was not issued by the VA then legally according to VA Handbook 1173.15 they cannot and should not pay you any clothing allowance. So if you got a brace from the private sector and the VA employee agreed to pay you the clothing allowance they are breaking the Law. You really should download a copy of the handbook and read it. The VA here in San Antonio will not only refuse to pay a clothing allowance for a private sector issued brace, but they also refuse to pay a clothing allowance if your brace or appliance was issued by a different VA Hospital or A Military Hospital. The Handbook specifically states that the item must be issued by the VA, ( not the Local VA). The new clothing allowance form shows an example of an appliance being issued by Walter Reed Medical Center... so even the example on the form contradicts the Handbook. I presently am fighting with VA San Antonio because of refusal to pay the second clothing allowance because as they stated they did not issue my AFO, Canadian crutches , or manual wheelchair... at the local va there fore even when I present medical records showing they were issued at other va medical centers they still refuse to pay for the second clothing allowance. I generated a congressional inquiry today after playing their games for over a year. So in response to your last sentence, what you were told was against the law, and no other veteran should expect to be paid for a clothing allowance under the conditions you outlined, The appliance that warrants the clothing allowance by law must be issued by the VA for a service connected issue.

Teac,dont know who told you you are allowed only two clothing because i only filed for two but they had me for three and this was why

the allowances are late because people are filing 3-4 clothing or this is what Augusta been telling me. I say again VA DON'T TREAT

ME for my sc back but I have a prescription for a back brace from private doctor she says she would pay me for it thats all I said. San

Antonio could be giving you some of their bull because that don't even sound right you can/t use a brace from another VA who prescribe it

you go back and read that handbook some more. I got my letter tuesday money 741.00 in bank wednesday now waiting for the second

allowance so believe as you will. This is why I don.t post because I get call a liar or telling something wrong but it ok I got mine only trying

to help another person

Edited by tmoe

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Here is what I sent on IRIS: I recently submitted a Clear and Unmistakable Error claim for my skin condition which was originally awarded in 2010.  I would like for someone to confirm that it was received and acknowledged as a clear and unmistakable error. I was informed today that the Baltimore regional office is requesting that I receive another exam at the va medical center for this condition.  I believe this may be an error in processing and I would like to know why the exam is being requested. I believe   The C.U.E. should be a review of the information from the time of the original decision.
    • You are so right, that IMO is a book. I am very interested in your claim and as to why you was denied. Frankly, The IMO is too much for a rater to read, I found it boring and hard to comprehend myself. It was just easier for the rater to just pass the buck by denying the claim. An adequate IMO, IME is usually one page or less. It is to the point and does not go into detail. More is not better. You can win that claim if you are willing to go doctor shopping as I explained up post. Go after multiple letters to defeat that C&P examiner. Use the format from usva I wrote that four years ago. notice the counter at the bottom of the page as to how many times it has been copied for use. Three properly written nexus letters in your favor is considered overwhelming evidence. Also, look up information on the C&P examiner, what are his qualifications. I would be adamant that the C&P exam was inadequate and would ask that the C&P be repeated with my being present. Complain about the quality of the exam in writing to the patient advocate at your medical center, not the RO. I did that myself in FEB 2016 and I was granted another exam was in March. Ask for a reconsideration at the regional level, you may need to do a NOD but you can just ask that they take another look, after you add more opinions and dispute the C&P. Do not get distracted and let the 1 year NOD deadline go by without filing a NOD to protect your EED. And yes, this may turn into a DRO de novo review. With three proper medical opinions you can win this at the regional level. Be tenacious and proactive in the claim if you really want to win it. Your first decision is SOP if you don't dot Is and cross Ts.  Know that if you get a SOC as a result of filing a NOD, you only have 90 days from the date of the SOC to get the form 9 turned in.
    • If your buddys detailed the stressor and were in your same unit, same time and place of stressor, and signed the oath at the bottom of a 21-4138 with their statement or wrote a letter , with their contact info in it, and hopefully had their signature notarized, it should be OK at this point, as it might be enough for the VA to verify the stressors via JSRRC (Joint Services Records Research Center.) And maybe they wont need to go through JSRRC...hard to say. My daughter, a veteran, helped 4 or 5 vets get some military awards they would have never had without her help (because she is fluent in Vietnamese...long story) One got the DFC. One of their buddys (same unit, place, time) also wrote to VA in his buddy letter for all  of them to use, that he  was compensated  for PTSD already by VA for this exact  same stressor. I might have asked before...but forget, do you have the PH, CAR, or CIB on your DD 214? If so the VA might concede the stressor (s) Many vets have multiple stressors. When the VA asks for them,it is often best to write down the ones that are easiest to verify.But they might not be the worse stressors. We have info here under a search for  Defining a stressor , and also for buddy statements. You will have more time to collect evidence. If you already had the MMPI Combat related, it would not hurt to mention that to the C & P doc, in my opinion.    
    • The crazy thing is that I thought it was vertigo from migraines and this doctor said no, it is separate from my migraines.  The VA neuro did nothing for me, she sent me to pt for a walker :( 
    • HUH? The VCAA does not apply to CUE claims...and why they ordered a new C & P is beyond me... I think this claim might be snafued and fubared already, and I think you need to use IRIS to see what is what. It would make sense that they could have farmed out the CUE to another RO because VA is so far behind these days but something seems very wrong here.  I feel you should ask IRIS if they have the CUE claim, and why the need for a C & P. Use the RO's name that farmed it out first,in the IRIS Menu ...and see what they say... After your reply comes from IRIS ( I suggest getting hard copy email of it)-- if that does not make sense I can try to give you the RO director's phone and/or fax number....for both ROs involved.