Ad free subscription.

This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Temporary 100% post surgery/convalescense pay
      Whats up guys, hopefully someone out there can help me out here. Ok I had surgery on my right knee (service connected) on 4-13-16 at the VA hospital in Phoenix. I applied for convalescense pay the day before which was 4-12-16. My surgeon wrote a statemwnt saying I would be out of commission for 8-10 weeks or more if "desired strength in leg is not met" how long does the VA take to process something like this? And my understanding is the VA doesnt pro-rate meaning my convalescent start date is 5-1-16 and for 8 weeks will that be from 5-1-16 until 7-31-16? I currently am at 40% so i get $699.36/month. With convalescense do they pay 100% per month (in my case its $3187) or will they pay one lump sum for both months? Thank you     Quote   Edit
    • Ankylosing spondylitis. Rheumatologist diagnosis
      Hi all. Got a good one for you again. I saw my rheumatologist today and was diagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis. It affect both my feet and my right hand. Apparently this condition is related to rheumatoid arthritis and when i start treatment i will have to take shots for the rest of my life. I just got low balled at 30% for bilateral plantar fascitis which i just found out is related to to ankylosing spondylitis. My question is do you think i should file a claim and will this get services connected??? So internet research i have seen said RA is easier to get service connected but this is another new road i must go down so i would apperciate some Knowledgable feedback. This condition also affect my neck and back and i did have some back issues in my service medical records. Thanks all and i look forward to youtlr replies. 
    • CUE? Not using SMR?
      What I see missing here is any mention of 38 CFR 1154(b) Combat enhancement. VA did not give  him enhanced credibility in 1983. In fact, they didn't even mention it which they would be required to discuss by law (and then discount as not being probative). That is CUE. VA is required to take any testimony about his feet in the combat environment as Gospel. It's clear they had the STRs when they made the 1983 decision. Presumption of Soundness at entry on the physical sets the injury metric.  If he had flat feet when he left, then it occurred in service -38 CFR 3.303(a). If he says he got flat feet and he has a PH and CIB, VA cannot argue otherwise. Having proved CUE, all he has to do is show that the error manifestly changed the outcome. The 2015 grant is proof of that. The only thing that could poke a hole in this balloon would be an unappealed BVA decision which would have rendered the subject closed. No appeal up to the BVA on any of those reopens following 1983 means a CUE  claim is still viable for 1983 as well as any follow on denials in the interim. Personally, I'd go for it. I'd get an atty. because it's going to be a cat fight for that many dineros. Sorry about that sugar. Your email didn't mention the medals and the CIB. That's a whole different ballgame. Anyone who would die in combat for their country gets a bye on their testimony as being credible without corroboration. 
    • NOD / DRO or TARP?
      Also, I want to point out that my husband returned from his 2nd tour in October of 2008. I do not believe I would have said that I was that concerned with him returning when he had just got back as was stated in the decision. He usually has at least a couple of years between deployments.  I could be wrong, I don't remember. I do recollect saying that when he was gone, a lot of the memories of what we did and seen during the invasion returned or bothered me more..?.  Sorry, I can't be sure.
    • Dr Ellis IMO
      Thanks for the info Flores.  I actually called the clinic this morning.  I am in the process of gathering my records and will be sending them out hopefully by Monday.  They said that they are currently scheduling for the end of June, beginning of July.  The lady sounded very nice.  I am looking forward to meeting Dr. Ellis soon.   Good luck on your claim. Travis  
    • Pending Case Dispatch
      They said it was remanded back to the RO.
    • 25 Year Long Service Connected Disability Denied After C/p Exam.
      Thanks all for the kind words. And yes I do sometimes feel that i don't deserve anything as i did not do combat. And there is way too many service men and women who have given up way more and come home with less than they left with. So it is even harder to stand up and ask for help when I see those Brothers in Arms coming home with severe injuries and some coming home with the Flag we all swore to defend. Thomas that road of drinking and drugs i went down and it almost destroyed my whole family. And after spending 30 days locked up in a rehabilitation hospital i don't care to go back again. I have been sober now for over 2 years have not had a drink and don't miss it none at all. I still pain medications but the VA limits that now and I have to sign that contract every month to get it. I do want to mention something I feel is Good News... As I look at the eBenefits website almost constantly to see if any changes are made. Good news tonight when I looked at it as one of my Open Claims is now in the Notification Stage. And then I looked to see and they had approved my second application to include my wife and kids on. Of course my daughter is in college and my son is 25 now, which they did not accept him as a dependent. That means they may have approved my Claim for Depression and Anxiety. But most likely they are going to a New condition and I will have to fight for the back pay. But since my previous Claim is in the DRO stage and I am awaiting the outcome of it. This new claim for Depression should move over to it now and be included. Is that correct as I can't file another NOD on it til the DRO issue's a SOC first. Anyways here a screenshot of them accepting my wife and daughter as dependents and also a screenshot of the awaiting Notification letter to be delivered. . 
    • NOD / DRO or TARP?
      After some digging, I was not able to find my complete original 2009 decision. I did however find my PTSD appeal decision from 2011 and the rating part of my 2009 letter. I must have separated the 2009 letter at some point to prove I had a 10% service connection, but didn't want them seeing the notes. I hope this is enough to maybe point a path. I can't express how much I appreciate what you guy's are doing here. I have never been comfortable sharing this stuff with anyone, To the point that I have been doing this with just my husbands help because I did not want to talk to a VSO that I don't know. But I see on here that everyone is helping everyone fight the same fight. Thank you very much!  In reference to the previous questions: It appears I did file the DRO route, and no, I did not continue the appeal to the BVA. I actually found where I started to fill out the VA form 9, but I was so fed up with the OKC VA back then that I must have said "screw it". Big mistake on my part I know. Appeal Decision 2011.pdf Original Rating 2009.pdf

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmoe

Augusta Ga Va Clothing Allowance

30 posts in this topic

I know this has been mention 100 times,but this is what VA is trying to do with clothing allowance, I had a back brace that was not through

VA and the first guy says it has to be through VA to get paid. My responce was I don't get care for my back from VA, its through

a private Dr, VA won't see me for my back problem. So the supervisor who pays clothing was in a meeting until I ask for the regulation

that says it has to be issue through VA to get paid,they could'nt. Then she says I have to appeal the decision and to write a NOD as

to why I disagree, so I ask for paper to write my disagreement she don't have any, so one of the co worker gave me some paper and

told me to write everything they said and before I could get it wrote the supervisor say stop right there sign it I will pay you for the brace.

I was suppose to get three but my left hand is not sc for carpal tunnel just the right and the back. I just had to show the prescription for

my back brace and the brace it self. So dont let them s**t you they must pay you. ALL this was after I recieve my letter, just got paid for

one,but was denied 2 other. Now the back brace was approve today!!

tmoe - thanks for the great info!!! I'm sure it'll help someone.

pr

tmoe -

I received a letter months ago and still haven't seen any cloting allowance from the Augusta VAMC. I too applied for dual and was told over the phone that I was only approved single.

I am still waiting on my clothing allowance. I called the prosthetics department and I was told that they are still processing it.

First to be sure, the VA isn't going to pay more than two clothing allowances to any veteran. The rules only call for payment of two , not three. four or more. Now, to be sure, if your brace was not issued by the VA then legally according to VA Handbook 1173.15 they cannot and should not pay you any clothing allowance. So if you got a brace from the private sector and the VA employee agreed to pay you the clothing allowance they are breaking the Law. You really should download a copy of the handbook and read it. The VA here in San Antonio will not only refuse to pay a clothing allowance for a private sector issued brace, but they also refuse to pay a clothing allowance if your brace or appliance was issued by a different VA Hospital or A Military Hospital. The Handbook specifically states that the item must be issued by the VA, ( not the Local VA). The new clothing allowance form shows an example of an appliance being issued by Walter Reed Medical Center... so even the example on the form contradicts the Handbook. I presently am fighting with VA San Antonio because of refusal to pay the second clothing allowance because as they stated they did not issue my AFO, Canadian crutches , or manual wheelchair... at the local va there fore even when I present medical records showing they were issued at other va medical centers they still refuse to pay for the second clothing allowance. I generated a congressional inquiry today after playing their games for over a year. So in response to your last sentence, what you were told was against the law, and no other veteran should expect to be paid for a clothing allowance under the conditions you outlined, The appliance that warrants the clothing allowance by law must be issued by the VA for a service connected issue.

Teac,dont know who told you you are allowed only two clothing because i only filed for two but they had me for three and this was why

the allowances are late because people are filing 3-4 clothing or this is what Augusta been telling me. I say again VA DON'T TREAT

ME for my sc back but I have a prescription for a back brace from private doctor she says she would pay me for it thats all I said. San

Antonio could be giving you some of their bull because that don't even sound right you can/t use a brace from another VA who prescribe it

you go back and read that handbook some more. I got my letter tuesday money 741.00 in bank wednesday now waiting for the second

allowance so believe as you will. This is why I don.t post because I get call a liar or telling something wrong but it ok I got mine only trying

to help another person

Edited by tmoe

tmoe -

I received a letter months ago and still haven't seen any cloting allowance from the Augusta VAMC. I too applied for dual and was told over the phone that I was only approved single.

justrluk,her name is Mrs Price the supervisor i went to her office because she quit answering her phone she is a pain in the butt a month ago she said i was approve

i call a week later my claim have not been approve nor summited yet. I would check with her again, also it will show on ebenefits as a claim open

and close decision sent or something like that

Edited by tmoe

First to be sure, the VA isn't going to pay more than two clothing allowances to any veteran. The rules only call for payment of two , not three. four or more. Now, to be sure, if your brace was not issued by the VA then legally according to VA Handbook 1173.15 they cannot and should not pay you any clothing allowance. So if you got a brace from the private sector and the VA employee agreed to pay you the clothing allowance they are breaking the Law. You really should download a copy of the handbook and read it. The VA here in San Antonio will not only refuse to pay a clothing allowance for a private sector issued brace, but they also refuse to pay a clothing allowance if your brace or appliance was issued by a different VA Hospital or A Military Hospital. The Handbook specifically states that the item must be issued by the VA, ( not the Local VA). The new clothing allowance form shows an example of an appliance being issued by Walter Reed Medical Center... so even the example on the form contradicts the Handbook. I presently am fighting with VA San Antonio because of refusal to pay the second clothing allowance because as they stated they did not issue my AFO, Canadian crutches , or manual wheelchair... at the local va there fore even when I present medical records showing they were issued at other va medical centers they still refuse to pay for the second clothing allowance. I generated a congressional inquiry today after playing their games for over a year. So in response to your last sentence, what you were told was against the law, and no other veteran should expect to be paid for a clothing allowance under the conditions you outlined, The appliance that warrants the clothing allowance by law must be issued by the VA for a service connected issue.

e. When the veteran certifies use of an appliance and/or medication which damages clothing and there is no record of VA issue, a physical examination needs to be scheduled prior to a recommendation for denial of entitlement. In determining whether these devices and/or medications tend to damage clothing, each individual application is to be considered on the objective findings of the case; this may include a medical examination and an inspection and evaluation of the device(s) claimed to cause damage to the clothing. Staff must ensure that they do not routinely require the production of worn or torn clothing.

NOTE: Reasonable doubt should be resolved in favor of the veteran. This don.t say you can.t get paid if not issue through VA only they would have to check it to see if it cause wear and tear to clothing

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1641 handbook

Edited by tmoe

e. When the veteran certifies use of an appliance and/or medication which damages clothing and there is no record of VA issue, a physical examination needs to be scheduled prior to a recommendation for denial of entitlement. In determining whether these devices and/or medications tend to damage clothing, each individual application is to be considered on the objective findings of the case; this may include a medical examination and an inspection and evaluation of the device(s) claimed to cause damage to the clothing. Staff must ensure that they do not routinely require the production of worn or torn clothing.

NOTE: Reasonable doubt should be resolved in favor of the veteran. This don.t say you can.t get paid if not issue through VA only they would have to check it to see if it cause wear and tear to clothing

http://www1.va.gov/v...asp?pub_ID=1641 handbook

I guess it depends on how you read it... " when there is no record of va issue" In my case the local va said that there was no record of issue, and that even though I provided medical evidence showing the va did issue my stuff, they said but it must be issued by this va and since it was not it does not qualify for the clothing allowance. I filed an appeal citing exactly what you show above. They did not afford me an examination, although the fact that my appliances are used is in my medical records because every time I see a doctor they write it down. My appeal was signed for on 15 Oct, they have by law ( va directive clinical appeals) 30 days to provide an answer. They fail to reply, my congressional inquiry went to my senator yesterday. Now I am not a big fan of contacting senators because they rarely do help... normally you end up with the same answer regardless of who is asking, only with a congressional you might get a faster answer..... Technically your are correct when there is no record of issues does not mean the va must issue the item.... but according to the local va it means that it must be issued by the va........and I can tell you if every va did the same thing according to the rules we would not have any problems... but very few va's do the exact same thing.

My clothing allowance has been approved for appliances I have received from the military hospital as a military retiree/tricare prime patient and not the VA.

VA tried that same "it wasn't issued by us" and denied it two years ago and when I sent them my appeal the next day, it was approved within a week; haven't had that problem since.

justrluk,her name is Mrs Price the supervisor i went to her office because she quit answering her phone she is a pain in the butt a month ago she said i was approve

i call a week later my claim have not been approve nor summited yet. I would check with her again, also it will show on ebenefits as a claim open

and close decision sent or something like that

Thanks, tmoe - I'll call (bug) them today and see what happens.

Thanks, tmoe - I'll call (bug) them today and see what happens.

justrluk,just got my second clothing deposit today so good luck with yours

justrluk,just got my second clothing deposit today so good luck with yours

Congrats! I heard yesterday they were working on the "Ls". I'm in that list, but haven't seen anything yet. Did you see it on eBenefits or as a deposit first??

Congrats! I heard yesterday they were working on the "Ls". I'm in that list, but haven't seen anything yet. Did you see it on eBenefits or as a deposit first??

Did you see it on eBenefits or as a deposit first?? This one was deposit first nothing on ebenefit yet, but the first one was on ebenefit in compension & claims first

Edited by tmoe

I decided to stop by the prosthetics department on Monday the 10th of December after my appointment to check on my clothing allowance. I was told that one of my clothing allowance was granted and one was denied. She asked me if I got a copy of their decision letter and I told her no so she printed out a copy and gave it to me. I could not believe the reasoning behind their denial it stated "You were denied based on the following: off the shelf back brace is several years old which does not substantiate continuous use that could cause wear and tear to clothing." I told the lady yes I have had the back brace for years but it was molded for my back and it still fits and I still wear it, I also told her that I was never told that I needed a new one. I have had you all check my braces for years for clothing allowance and never once did you all say I needed braces, I told her. She whispered to me, they are not going to tell you, that's how they are going to deny your claims, and she said you are not the only one they did like that. You need to get new braces every six months to get the clothing allowance. I asked her why didn't I receive a copy of this decision in the mail, she said I should have. I told her this letter is date September 11 and I called up here in Sep, Oct and Nov and was told it was still being processed but the date on this decision shows it was already completed since early Sep and I still haven't received payment for the one that I was granted. She gave me a number to call. I called the number to inquire on the decision and this guy to me to appeal it to the Chief of prosthetics if I don't agree with the denial, so I asked him why haven't I received payment for the one I was granted he told me to hold on, I was on hold for over ten minutes when he came back and said I would receive it in ten days, my friends again they surprise me I received it this morning but I have also submitted a letter to appeal the denial of my back brace.

Jay -

So sorry to hear you had to suffer this buffoonery...

I've also called and was told to leave a message. I left one with my name, SSAN, etc. and couldn't get any more info. I was finally able to get the woman on the phone that is supposed to be processing the claims, and she said she processed my claim. That was on Tuesday of this week. I haven't seen anything yet on eBenefits or in my account so we'll see how long it takes from her statement that it had been processed to actually getting paid. The Augusta VAMC has been pretty reliable until this year. Don't know what happened, but this is ridiculous.

@Justrluk thanks I'm telling you its ridiculous how this years clothing allowance is being decided and the length of time its taking. I am waiting to hear what excuse they come up with on the one they denied.

@Justrluk thanks I'm telling you its ridiculous how this years clothing allowance is being decided and the length of time its taking. I am waiting to hear what excuse they come up with on the one they denied.

This is because they are looking for reason to deny the second clothing allowance... Hell at this point I now have a congressional inquiry because San Antonio refused to deny in writing or provide a statement of the case after I appeal the decision. In fact they flat out refuse to even acknowledge that I requested the second clothing allowance...

I decided to stop by the prosthetics department on Monday the 10th of December after my appointment to check on my clothing allowance. I was told that one of my clothing allowance was granted and one was denied. She asked me if I got a copy of their decision letter and I told her no so she printed out a copy and gave it to me. I could not believe the reasoning behind their denial it stated "You were denied based on the following: off the shelf back brace is several years old which does not substantiate continuous use that could cause wear and tear to clothing." I told the lady yes I have had the back brace for years but it was molded for my back and it still fits and I still wear it, I also told her that I was never told that I needed a new one. I have had you all check my braces for years for clothing allowance and never once did you all say I needed braces, I told her. She whispered to me, they are not going to tell you, that's how they are going to deny your claims, and she said you are not the only one they did like that. You need to get new braces every six months to get the clothing allowance. I asked her why didn't I receive a copy of this decision in the mail, she said I should have. I told her this letter is date September 11 and I called up here in Sep, Oct and Nov and was told it was still being processed but the date on this decision shows it was already completed since early Sep and I still haven't received payment for the one that I was granted. She gave me a number to call. I called the number to inquire on the decision and this guy to me to appeal it to the Chief of prosthetics if I don't agree with the denial, so I asked him why haven't I received payment for the one I was granted he told me to hold on, I was on hold for over ten minutes when he came back and said I would receive it in ten days, my friends again they surprise me I received it this morning but I have also submitted a letter to appeal the denial of my back brace.

Do you have a new prescription for your brace because if not and its not static than all you need is a new prescription and you should be fine just some more of their bull s**t

Yes, I got a new prescription.

Jay - have you had any success yet? I still haven't seen anything and nothing on eBenefits.

Just called today: those of us that received a letter from July - Sept may not see payment until next month.

Justrluk haven't heard anything from chief of prosthetics yet, I'm sure they will come up with some type of an excuse as to why my second allowance remain denied.

I called the other day. Woman looked up my claim and said it was processed on the 17th of December. I still haven't seen a deposit.

Clothing allowance just showed up today. What a relief!

Has anyone using the Augusta VAMC received a clothing allowance yet?

justlurk, which I could tell u somethng good but I hav not heard anything but will check this week when my appointment

Thanks, tmoe. I appreciate you asking the question.

justrluk, I just receive an approval for wrist brace but they denied the back brace saying I needed to take some worn clothing

and a new prescription to prosthetic saying I need this type of brace, and go to primary care to get a new brace something that wont

wear clothing. I was told the supervisor had complaints about not answering the phones so she is answering and giving the info over the phone

after I call her I had the letter the next 2 days. Not sure if it is deposited yet got lock out my account. I think the number or ext 6162

Edited by tmoe

and yes the VA will pay for 3 clothing allowances. I know this to be fact guys...