• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Barid

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • You might want to go over this VA Fast Letter as well:  
    • You are (apparently) missing the one thing you need.  You need a doctor to say you are unable to maintain substantial gainful employment due to Service connected conditions.  Im not sure if you have that or not, but, this is what you need for IU.   A lot of times it helps also, if you are enrolled in a Voc Rehab program, where the Voc rehab counselor states, "this veteran is unemployable due to (hearing loss) and or other SC conditions.   Difficulty in communication is often a barrier to employment.  
    • Can you scan and attach here the decision for the claim you filed the NOD on as to their Reasons and Bases part and the evidence they listed? (Cover C file #, name, address prior to scanning it) If he is SC now for the DMII they should award something for the diabetic  nephropathy ,if that was claimed and if they have the private doctor's evidence on that. ...I am confused here.. "Yes filed a nod, filed19 within the 60 days. Vso thru American legion filed all.  We have copies did an iris, about 10 days ago.  No ans yet." I assume then that you are waiting on a Statement of the Case.....????   ." I have got all his lab work from the time he was diagnosis with renal failure.  His Vso  to wait till we rec docket number, otherwise it might get lost without it. However, we ar still waiting on that. Of course it is like everyone else, by the time they get around to rating it, you are  et etc etc " That does not make sense to me. If this claim was actually denied we need more info.   In my opinion, if a claim is Still at a VARO and you have more probative evidence, send it to them with proof of mailing.    Is this the claim he filed in 2012?   Is the VSO supposed to prepare a 646 and is that holding up a BVA transfer? I am lost here and probably I am not making any sense at all......because we dont know what they denied ,why they denied and when they denied.   However, once you get to the BVA (they (BVA) will send you a letter with your docket # on it, and you can send any additional evidence directly to the BVA and then check with them to make sure they have it.   Has any C & P doctor given any opinion on the renal disease yet? Was renal failure due to DMII part of the 2012 claim?  
    • You make a very good point! The C&P examiners surely must realize that they don't work at the VA of 20 years ago. Back in the 90's, I had no way to know if the examiner was being thorough or not. Now, we are empowered with knowledge here from Hadit and also are fortunate enough to have the DBQ's and C&P exam questionnaires available to us online. If C&P instructions say to measure something, the examiner better measure it. With the rating criteria we have, even 1 mm could mean make a difference in your rating. If I ever have to go back in for another C&P exam where the rating is based on a measurement or ROM, I will ask if they have their ruler or goinometer. If they claim they don't need one, I will be like oh yes you do. You don't have one? Here, you can borrow mine. If they still refuse, I would ask for a new exam with a competent examiner who knows how to follow the regulations.
    • Gastone, or Berta,. Or anyone else wharT are your thoughts.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyfisher

Adaptive Equipment For House

4 posts in this topic

I'm currently a 90% service connected veteran and I am service connected for sleep apnea and PTSD. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea by the VA and was given a CPAP machine. My problem is that I have lost power several times and cant sleep without the use of my CPAP due to my medical condition. I am employed full time but have difficulty with work when I have been awake all night because the power is out and my CPAP will not work. Is it possible to obtain a HISA or SAH grant to have a electric generator supplied for my home?

In addition to the emergency generator, will you request an automatic start-up and power transfer system? How about fuel for the generator?

Seriously though, my suggestions:

1. Either buy or ask the VA for an Uninterrupted Power System (UPS), such as the type used for home computers, electronics, etc. The UPS sitting in my lap right now has enough battery power to power a CPAP for in excess of 8-10 hours.

2. If your local power system is so crappy, complain to the local power company.

I'm currently a 90% service connected veteran and I am service connected for sleep apnea and PTSD. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea by the VA and was given a CPAP machine. My problem is that I have lost power several times and cant sleep without the use of my CPAP due to my medical condition. I am employed full time but have difficulty with work when I have been awake all night because the power is out and my CPAP will not work. Is it possible to obtain a HISA or SAH grant to have a electric generator supplied for my home?

You can always ask, but really it isn't going to happen.. I have a cpap, I gave up on using it... I am on oxygen 24/7 it keeps me alive.... my power goes out at least 6 times a year. I am 100% just for my lungs...... now I even gave a letter from my doctor to the electric company, they are obligated to keep my juice on only if I can't pay the bill other wise I am treated just like any other customer. I also have been awarded the housing grant, and have used the HISA grant... The housing grant can be used for anything that makes the home more accessible. The housing grant requires you to submit a claim just like any other claim. Keep in mind A generator does not make a home more accessible, beside the fact that you must have a specific service connected issue to get it, and needing a CPAP is not one of them.. you would also have to have another c/p exam before it was awarded.. HISA only pays for adaptions like ramps, door widening, or a basic roll in shower. and requires a doctors statement even for those items. Hell I tried to get a whole house HEPA system, and the va gave me a one room portable roll around hepa filter , I gave it away..... good luck with this one, I think you will really need it...

I think it will be easier to go buy the smaller power unit and avoid all the hassle. Thanks for the responders for the information.