VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adaptive Equipment For House

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I'm currently a 90% service connected veteran and I am service connected for sleep apnea and PTSD. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea by the VA and was given a CPAP machine. My problem is that I have lost power several times and cant sleep without the use of my CPAP due to my medical condition. I am employed full time but have difficulty with work when I have been awake all night because the power is out and my CPAP will not work. Is it possible to obtain a HISA or SAH grant to have a electric generator supplied for my home?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

In addition to the emergency generator, will you request an automatic start-up and power transfer system? How about fuel for the generator?

Seriously though, my suggestions:

1. Either buy or ask the VA for an Uninterrupted Power System (UPS), such as the type used for home computers, electronics, etc. The UPS sitting in my lap right now has enough battery power to power a CPAP for in excess of 8-10 hours.

2. If your local power system is so crappy, complain to the local power company.

I'm currently a 90% service connected veteran and I am service connected for sleep apnea and PTSD. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea by the VA and was given a CPAP machine. My problem is that I have lost power several times and cant sleep without the use of my CPAP due to my medical condition. I am employed full time but have difficulty with work when I have been awake all night because the power is out and my CPAP will not work. Is it possible to obtain a HISA or SAH grant to have a electric generator supplied for my home?

You can always ask, but really it isn't going to happen.. I have a cpap, I gave up on using it... I am on oxygen 24/7 it keeps me alive.... my power goes out at least 6 times a year. I am 100% just for my lungs...... now I even gave a letter from my doctor to the electric company, they are obligated to keep my juice on only if I can't pay the bill other wise I am treated just like any other customer. I also have been awarded the housing grant, and have used the HISA grant... The housing grant can be used for anything that makes the home more accessible. The housing grant requires you to submit a claim just like any other claim. Keep in mind A generator does not make a home more accessible, beside the fact that you must have a specific service connected issue to get it, and needing a CPAP is not one of them.. you would also have to have another c/p exam before it was awarded.. HISA only pays for adaptions like ramps, door widening, or a basic roll in shower. and requires a doctors statement even for those items. Hell I tried to get a whole house HEPA system, and the va gave me a one room portable roll around hepa filter , I gave it away..... good luck with this one, I think you will really need it...