VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Notification Letter And Ab8 Sent And Updated Shortly Before The Payment Due Date?

Rate this question

add55p

Question

Does VA wait a few days before the actual pay due date before entering or sending the notification letter and updating the Ebenefits letters?

As I understand it VA holdes back a month before paying retro or the first month payment. Example; Awarded Jan 10, 2013, Must wait the hole month of Februrary 2013 and get 1st payment 1 March 2013.

While this may be true, what I really want to know is if the notification letter is alsso withheld. The DAV has already provided and unofficial letter stating the Jan 10, 2013 rating decion, but as of yet, Ebenefits dos not show AB8 letter and no official notification or payment has been received.

Add

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Did your DAV rep tell you what the decision was???? as in percentage?

As far as ebenefits information goes - It really does depend on which Regional Office your dealing with. While my RO (Winston-Salem) has been pretty good with updating information on ebenefits and other vets report theirs are also, regretfully more then a few vets on here have stated that their RO's have not been updating information on a timely basis.

You just might get the retro in the bank and then the Official Letter in the mail, before you see a change on ebenefits. So keep an eye on your bank account....that is if VA found you service connected and gave you a percentage other then 0% and not a denial.

As far as VA withholding a month pay - Say your effective date has been determined by the VA to be the date the VA received your initial claim. Let's say that date is September 10th or 20th or whatever day, 2012. You will not receive any retro funds for September 2012. Your effective payment date for retro (back pay) will be the 1st of the following month = October . You will be paid retro from November 1st to whatever 1st of the most current month they pay you for - say January 1st, 2013. You should then receive timely monthly payments there after ie., Feb 1st, March 1st etc. Now if you are a 20+ year retiree and qualify for CRSC or CRDP, you should expect a longer wait for retro/payment because it has to go to DFAS for review, then back to VA. Some have said it can take as "little" as 90 days and some retiree's have waited much, much longer to receive their retro.

Congrats Add!

Edited by USMC5811

USMA5811

Yes, the DAV sent a letter stating that I was awarded a combined rating of 20% retroactive.

Thank you for the detailed expalination. I now understand the process and will pass it on to other Vets in my community that are also waiting on payments.

Add

I don't know if this helps you but this was my timeline in reference to getting ab8 letter from the los angeles varo:

decision was reached 12/19/12

ab8 letter appeared on 1/3/13

decision arrived in mail on 1/7/13

retro pay hit bank 1/8/13

Like it was mentioned earlier though all regional offices are different. Congratulations on the decision.

Edited by raidertone

Raidertone

That helped out a lot. Based on your timeline, I am still have a few days to go. Understadn that all VAROs do not react the same, but what I have read fromother posts, your time line is just about right give or take a few days.

Thanks..

My first increase took about 10 day difference between letter and retro. Got letter first then retro. On my second increase I got Letter and retro on sameday.....