VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

Reading these posts in regard to how bad VSO's are in various service organizations could almost make me not want to help veterans at all.  The only reason I will continue is because I actually do love what I do.  Truth be told, as with anything you have your good and your bad.  I don't know how all veterans organizations work but I know that as a member of the AL, I am also the VSO for my Post.  I started two years ago and have been working hot and heavy.  We are strictly a non profit organization and the work that the service officer does is all volunteer.  There is absolutely no money that changes hands for any claim that I do to help a veteran.  I use my money to purchase folders, envelops, send off claims using return receipt, and that's just a small portion of what I do.  After last year I have decided to cut back because I was literally working and helping veterans with claims everyday.  I finally had to tell myself that if this was a "real" job, I would have regular hours.  I would be working a regular 9-5, and I would not be working on the weekends and holidays.  However; I got calls at all times.  Mostly from veterans who would call in the evening when they are getting off work.  This after I had been working on cases all during the day.  I got calls on holidays to include Christmas and New Year's Eve.  If that was a regular job, people would know automatically that there was no need to call because most business are closed.  It can become very overwhelming.  It's always a learning experience because the rules change so fast that it's a job to even stay up to date on the changes that come down overnight.  

Everyone thinks their case is the most important but you have to put things into perspective.  In the midst of assisting one veteran on an initial claim, I have veterans needing assistance on requesting increases or filing NOD's.  I have to explain at times that it will be some time before I can help them with theirs because I have Vietnam Veterans who are not receiving anything.  When you take longer than someone feels that you should, they get disgruntled and talk badly about the organization.  This makes VSO's not want to even help outsiders.  For me it would be much easier to only assist veterans who belong to my Post.  At least, that would keep them happy.  One person can only do so much.

You must also remember that just as you have issues and disabilities, 9x out of 10 your VSO also has disabilities and is trying to work around them to help you.  Concentration is an issue for me, but when I'm on a case and focused, I am really good.  Then again, there are days when I just can't get focused enough to get anything done.  I do it because I love helping others.  It gives me a sense of being useful in spite of my disabilities.  I have a thirst for knowledge when it comes to the claims process.  I spend hours researching and I won't send a claim in unless I feel that I have done all that I can in order to make the claim a successful go the first go around.  As we said in the Army.  One shot, one kill.  That's my goal.

I know I cannot save the world and now I know that I would kill myself if I tried.  Remember VSO's are human too.  If your representative takes longer than you think they should, get to work for yourself.  You must help them, help you.

Thanks for listening.

• HadIt.com Elder
On 2/10/2013 at 8:45 AM, Berta said:

In my opinion, the DAV is a wonderful organization and I am a Financial donor to them.

It is their Service Office program that has problems.

Some DAV reps are fabulous and some suck....that is no different than any vet org out there. They still have a good appeal success rate at the BVA but I think the AL had a higher rate last year...forget...it is all in the BVA annual CHairman's report I posted here when it came out this past Feb.

If all a vet rep does for you is keep copies in their POA file on you ,of all you submit to the VA, that in the long run is a good reason to have a vet rep or NSO.

A problem I ran into was lack of continuity with the various service orgs and their VSO's. Every time I had a reason to try using them, it turned out that the individuals involved were coming and going, and knew little about the ongoing veterans claims. I'm sure that there are some good ones out there, it's just that I have not been able to find them. The state gov VSO's are perhaps even worse, no call backs, no followups. etc. I believe that the various reps are following a quantity vs quality process, such that more simple low percentage claims is preferable to a lesser number of more complicated high percentage claims. If nothing else, the lower % claims are likely easier to "get through the system" than the more costly and complex ones. It does not help when the VA uses the divide and conquer philosophy. 

Even lawyers can be of less benefit when they feel that the amount of retro involved is less than they would like.  One claim I'm looking at has finally gone to the BVA, and a decision was made, which also involves a remand. At this point, it looks like the BVA ignored medical records and even a Nehmer decision that established a specific EDD. Some primary and secondary conditions were denied prior to Nehmer, yet the primary conditions were granted by Nehmer. The secondaries were later granted in part, but show a much later EDD. When all is said and done, it looks like the veteran is being shortchanged by about $300 a month, and some retro should also be involved. Eventually, SMC "rules" involving payment amounts will likely come into play, and that results in the ~ $300 limit.

On 2/10/2013 at 7:37 PM, john999 said:

I am a life member of DAV. I asked for my money back. If you are counting on VSO's to win claims for you then it is a waste of money. If you just want to join to socialize or go to the local VFW or AL to get drunk they are fine.

i am also a lfie member. and i have wanted to ask for my money back as well. sometimes they have been very helpful. and other times, they have insulted me!!

I've been a life member of the DAV since 1993.  At the time I was living in Alaska and the local chapter was very active and had several methods to generate $ to give to local non-profits.  At the time the local DAV rep was also a member of the local chapter and he did all he could to take care of us.  Fast forward and today where I live, the chapter isn't active and I know significantly more than the local DAV reps.  They have a "just chill, the VA will take care of you, trust us" attitude.  I removed my POA with the DAV prior to submitting my outstanding claims for secondary disabilities because I had no confidence in their ability to work on my behalf.  There has been a lot of discussion regarding the high salaries top DAV officials are paid which didn't really bother me until I received a call a few months ago asking for money.

I can also attest to never being able to get someone on the phone or having them return calls.

Edited by green
additional info

• HadIt.com Elder

I been thinking about paying my DAV office a visit and if they can see me? I will ask the DAV SO that filed my original ptsd claim, what have you did for me and my claim?

if he says well I ain't heard anything back from RO  (which I have on ebenny's)

...I may just tell him to get out the form  that I need because I am revoking your POA its useless ...your useless with helping me and no telling how many other veterans  I may call the 6:00pm news and just let them know how the DAV is treating the veterans.  is this fair representation?

...........Buck