VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Pay

Rate this question

Dakkonusmc

Question

I received a first payment of $708.00. I have a wife and 2 children. $708.00 would add up to 40% disability, but what about back-pay? I got lucky and finished the process in 3 months. So my question is, is $708.00 my monthly payment or is that with back pay? Also, what is a "retroactive" payment? Thanks in advanced.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks a lot for the information. If I feel like the rating is too low, should I appeal it?

Assuming there is reasonable evidence to the severity of the disability, and it matches a higher rating, absolutely!

After all the VA does have a reputation of "low balling" claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

As Chuck stated, "absolutely," provided you have evidence that equates to a higher rating. You should review the rating requirements, for a higher rating, under your VA diagnostic codes and see what they equal. If the evidence is there, go for it. If not you have a yr to get some more probative evidence. The VA is known for lowballing.

pr

Thanks a lot for the information. If I feel like the rating is too low, should I appeal it?

Hi there. You can compute for your retroactive payment here www.vadisabilitycalculator.com/back-pay-calculator. It's not an official calculator but it could help you calculate for your retropay.

Before I was actually shorted over 2k in retroactive disability payments. For a while, I didn’t know that anything was wrong. Then I was kicking some numbers around in my head and I realized the back pay amount didn’t make sense. After doing the calculations on my computer, I was on the phone with the VA faster than a speeding bullet. I am now expecting another payment of over 2 thousand dollars.

Give it a try and please give some feedback or comment. Thank you!