VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc L, R, Or S?

Rate this topic

I'm 100% T&P for kidney failure requiring dialysis, and 10% hypertension. I currently perform dialysis at home. This involves 4 dialysis treatments each day. I won't live very long if I don't receive these treatments.

Although my wife wasn't officially trained on this method of dialysis, I wouldn't be able to do these treatments by myself. First of all, I'm unable to lift more than 10 pounds. Therefore, my wife has to lift heavy boxes of dialysis solution, and load bags of solution onto my machine. She records my blood pressure and weight prior to and after each treatment. She also helps me prepare and administer my injectable medications. Additionally, she drives me to my numerous medical appointments.

Since all of the above has to happen several times throughout the day, my wife no longer works. I therefore spoke with a DAV SO regarding special monthly compensation. He gave me an Aid and Attendance form, which my kidney doctor filled out. When I turned in the filled form, I asked the VSO which form of SMC I could expect to receive. He said that I would surely never get anything more than S.

I disagree. As the above shows, my wife does a heck of a lot more than pour me lemonade. I wouldn't be able to perform dialysis 4 times each day by myself; therefore, her aid and attendance is essential for my continued life.

Which form of SMC would my current circumstances warrant? L, R or S? IMO, it appears that I'm definitely qualified for SMC L. However, I've seen a couple of instances where people similar to me have gotten R. Thanks in advance for any advice. This is a ridiculously complicated topic, and it shouldn't be.

• HadIt.com Elder

You are to file for SMC S and SMC L. L is the rate for aid and attendance.

File it now and get your Doc to write a statement that your wife is administering the Fluid bags with your infusion.

She is a very strong woman for doing this. My mother lifted the baxter boxes for my father whe he was on Home dialysis. He did his at night though.

Good luck and hang in there.

J

I wish I had all the money that VSO's said Vets dont deserve and should not apply for, but, who didn't listen and applied anyway and got benefits. VSO's have in their charter to "cooperate with VA". I think most of them think this means to talk Vets into withdrawing, not appealing, or never applying for a claim. My VSO wanted me to "settle" for a zero percent rating, after all, I am "service connected and have my foot in the door". He made me think the VA would take my SC away if I tried to appeal. This advice cost me thousands and thousands..

You see, as far as the VSO goes, they count "winning a zero percent evaluation" as a "win". I think its a beautifully wrapped package, with nothing but rocks in it to confuse me in to thinking it contains something worthwhile, as it is "heavy". Vets often have a conflict of interest with their VSO. The VSO goal is to get as many POA's as they can, and then do as little as possible as far as service so they can get still more POA's.

• HadIt.com Elder

You dont qualify for R and you dont want to qualify for R.

R is for loss of use arms, legs,

The title 38 3.114 is pretty clear if you read it enough times. I posted a SMC explanation here a few months ago.

J

Congress has recently approved funds for those taking care of disabled veterans. This is different from aid & attendance. This is for a caregiver. Call 1-877-222-8387 these folks are the individuals that are running the program. call, and they will assist you with the application procedures.

I have helped a few spouses obtain this benefit from them. it's a great benefit and one that's surely overdue to those assisting our wounded veterans.