VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Claim

Rate this question

Kray

Question

In July 2012 I submitted my Dependent claim. In October, eBenefits site showed the claim was closed but no letter sent. Since I have never heard from the VA, I submitted info to IRIS in January 2013 and the VA reported claim was closed by mistake and they will re-open it. They started new claim, April 24, 2013, stating something was missing, giving me 30 days to provide missing data. I re-submitted in writing April 25 the requested information, plus uploaded same data via the web site on the same date. Nothing appeared on web site so I submitted same data on May 11, 2013 and uploaded to the site again.

On May 31, they closed the case stating I had not sent the required data. I mailed it to them again on May 31, 2013 and uploaded to the site again. Still nothing appears on the eBenefits site. On June 17, 2013 I mailed same info again. Nothing appears on eBenefits site as of today.

My question is "What is my required next step". Should I now appeal the claim or allow more time? If I appeal, what form and how do I do it?

It appears to me that the VA tosses paperwork in file 13 as I have now sent it seven times and received nothing. Yes I the letters have been signed for.

Thank You.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You can not appeal until you receive a rating decision from the VA.

Don't always rely on e-benefits, it's very seldom up to date, even uploading documents, which the VA conveniently misplaces.

contact a veteran service officer at the VARO in your state. They have the capability of finding out the disposition of your claim. It might even do yourself well to take a day, bring all documents with you and head to the VARO.

once you find out the status, then you can take the next step. About 3 years ago the VA started working the dependency issues as an additional duty. The longest I have seen a dependency claim is 20 months.

Don't always rely on e-benefits, it's very seldom up to date, even uploading documents, which the VA conveniently misplaces.

contact a veteran service officer at the VARO in your state. They have the capability of finding out the disposition of your claim. It might even do yourself well to take a day, bring all documents with you and head to the VARO.

once you find out the status, then you can take the next step. About 3 years ago the VA started working the dependency issues as an additional duty. The longest I have seen a dependency claim is 20 months.

megh,

I have been struggling with my claim for additional dependent compensation allowance,

since 1980.

Many thanks for your input. The decision is "the case is closed". The letter says I have one year to Appeal or provide information. I have provided information several times since the case has been closed without it being posted on the web site.

Today I went to eBenefits site like I do everyday and found my Dependency claim has been re-opened and under REVIEW with a settlement date between 9/9/2013 and 10/30/2013. I also found when I open the claim I find the phase Contentions:vbms(New)

google the term if you don't know what it means but it will still take another 100-140 days to complete.

Edited by Kray