VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance Time Again

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I went to the Prosthetic Department at my local VA Medical Center as directed by letter I received. I took my damage clothes and was wearing my devices as I do daily. I was ask if I was wear my devices and I told them yes. He wrote on letter that I was wearing devices and said I will make you a copy to keep. I ask him don't you want to see my damage clothing, he said that's not necessary, I said yes it is and I pulled out every thing I brought with me and showed him. He then said ok, I make that copy now. I said first you need to annotate on the letter that you observed my damaged clothing, he said okay and wrote on it and said would you like a copy now and I said yes I would. Veterans, please make sure that they make note of all damage clothing otherwise they could deny you allowance just like they did last year with me. My appeal is still waiting a decision. I was receiving a clothing allowance for over ten years and when they changed to dual allowances I was denied one of them because they stated that it was not noted that I showed damaged clothing even though I did but because it was not noted it was denied so I only received one allowance.

I can't believe the number of people who were denied dual clothing allowances and the reasoning behind the denial. Now having to appeal these decisions they are having to go through the appeal process that can take years to be completed. Why would the VA create another backlog in its system? There were a line of people at the window at the prosthetic department that got letters to come there for this years clothing allowance that were denied a second clothing allowance from last year. I wonder if they will be denying a second clothing allowance this year and what will be the excuse this time for denial.

VA Regional Offices no longer make the decisions on clothing allowances. The clothing allowance comes from the prosthetic department at the VA Medical Center. The VA Med Center is who makes the decisions on the grants and payments for the clothing allowance. If the VA RO gets the claim for clothing allowance it is sent over to the VA Med Center for processing. The RO doesn't even track it as a claim any longer.

Well Harley most of what you said is true but once you appeal a denied clothing allowance it goes to the VA RO. That is where my appeal sits today. I was told by an RO Rep that my clothing allowance has been received and will be process as they are receive but due to backlog it is taking longer than usual.

Your correct your appeals will be handled by the appeals department at the VA RO. Sorry, wasn't thinking about the appeal. I stand corrected. I've not officially scene an appeal for a clothing allowance, I wonder if there are alot if them. I will have to do some checking later this week and see what I can find out. And find out any tidbits of information I can pass on to the Vet's who may have a pending appeal for helping them get it approved. Thanks, always learning new things.

Well from my understanding, there were many denials of a second clothing allowance so I would think that the appeals were high.