VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obama Care

Rate this question

yoshi

Question

I am fully covered by the Dept of VA. Are there any benefits to enrolling into additional health care coverage? Just asking because I received a letter from the VA today asking me if I want to enroll. What are the pluses to enrolling into additional coverage's, and how does enrolling int additional coverage's affect a Veteran's current coverage?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It is a form letter sent to most vets who use VA. No changes to Veterans care as it is not effected by the New Healthcare laws.

J

Are there any benefits to enrolling into additional healthcare coverages?

Curious because I usually use the VA for all of my health care needs, but I am thinking of enrolling in Medicaid/Medicare for additional coverages where the VA lacks-i.e. hospitals in the local area. I like my benefits the way they are now. I just don't want to lose any coverage from the VA if I pick up an additional carrier. Does anyone know what kind of affect adding an additional insurance will have on my VA Healthcare plan? Thanks.

But those of use stuck in limbo can get any help for our dependents!!!! I can't wait for 2016....

Edited by rpowell01

• HadIt.com Elder

Its my understanding that if you get VA coverage it will not be easy to enroll in Obamacare.

One benefit of having multiple coverages: VA and civilian health insurance medicaid etc, is that you have a doctor choice. With exclusively VA care, you are limited to practitioners who work under VA rules. If you are a civilian, you can go to any doctor, and seek the best docs in his field. Many VA docs are from foreign countries and many do not even speak English as their first language. I can understand about half of what my VA docs say, so how am I ever going to comply with "doctors orders" when I dont even know what they are???

Sadly, "doctor choice" isnt possible for many Vets. They have no choice but to go to VA. My wife, who is eligible for Champva And VA, gets far, far better health care than I do, as a Vet. Why? She can go to any doc, (VA or non VA) and get it paid either by VA or Champva. I dont have that option, I must go to the doc VA says I have to go to, whether he is my "favorite" doc or not.

Edited by broncovet

I must go to the doc VA says I have to go to, whether he is my "favorite" doc or not.

Not really So, If it's their only doc in that field yes it's true, However I have changed PCP's More then once because of the way the treated me. You just need to ask to be assigned a new PCP.