VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obama Care

Rate this question

yoshi

Question

I am fully covered by the Dept of VA. Are there any benefits to enrolling into additional health care coverage? Just asking because I received a letter from the VA today asking me if I want to enroll. What are the pluses to enrolling into additional coverage's, and how does enrolling int additional coverage's affect a Veteran's current coverage?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

They can try to bill "private" insurance. They cannot bill Medicare or other government medical "insurance". An exception seems to be Tricare, in that Tricare picks up some of VA charges for non SC'd conditions.As far as I know, they can bill insurance companies that insure government employees.

Years ago, until the government changed the laws, the VA or a military hospital would not have been paid by a private insurance company.

For a short time, (1970's) we were impacted by the old law. My then employer, due to contractual agreements with the government, ended up picking up the difference, (other than a $25-30 copay)

When all was said and done, military retirees using military medical services, and that had "private" group insurance were paying the premiums, and the military medical system was reaping benefits.

You're right, Chuck. The VA is prohibited from billing Medicare. However, not every VAMC participates with TRICARE. As a result, I'm waiting for a VAMC to reimburse me the co-pays I shelled out for care prior to receiving my 60% rating.

In fact, there's a change that was just announced in how TRICARE For Life recipients (military retirees on Medicare with TRICARE as a secondary insurance) will be billed for treatment of non-service connected conditions if the retiree is rated less than 50%. In the past, TFL picked up 80%. Now they'll pick up only 20%.

http://www.moaablogs.org/healthcare/2013/08/beware-non-service-connected-vatfl-healthcare-users/

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will go with both. I suspected Medicare would open more choices. What is the biggest difference between Medicare and Medicaid? Also, I am going to talk to Social Services soon, what are some questions I should ask them about medical coverages? Are they preset in stone? I prefer to know what I am getting myself into. I like the idea of multiple insurance coverages primarily for a peace of mind. I thought this would be a great thread for myself, and others who follow. Thanks for the responses again!

Edited by yoshi

• HadIt.com Elder

Medicade is for the very poor. Medicare is for everyone who paid into it for a certain number of quarters. I have VA, medicare A&B and Blue Cross. As long as I can afford it I will take it. I even get coverage from worker's compensation for a few things. If your house is paid off and your car is paid the other big expense is insurance. I get second opinions on everything.

• HadIt.com Elder

I suggest all vets with private insurance to check with VA billing to get a report of what was paid and billed. You will be surprised to see many service connected conditions being billed. That is what I call VA Insurance fraud. The Vet commits fraud he goes to jail, The VA commits fraud, they get a bonus.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

You are right about that, John. I told BC/BS the VA was billing them for NSC stuff and they just said it was not worth investigating. The VA billed them for my C&P exam. I went for eye exam for DMII and the VA billed my insurance.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Yeah, no joke! I find that 90% of VAMC treatment for my SC conditions are being rubber stamped to be billed to my private insurance.