VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

5103 Waiver Overdue From 3Rd Party

Rate this question

mags1023

Question

I checked my ebenefits account yesterday and saw that under my gathering evidence for my claim folder the VA has a note in there saying that a 5103 waiver from a 3rd party is overdue. The due date was Aug 5, 2013. Does anyone know what this might be? Would the 800 people or IRIS be able to tell me who this 3rd party might be?

Thanks, Mags

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would like to add a couple of things.

Dont' get the Veterans Section 5103 Notice confused with the VBMS computer software program.

1. Veteran Section 5103 Notice is still the converted VCAA due process notice, required by the Veterans Claims Assitance Act. The 5103 is a modification of how we perform the Duty to Assist Veterans in the claims process.

2. VBMS is the (new) software program that VA is using to covert to the paperless system

3. eBenefits is the new software program written exclusively for Veteran which pulls claims information from the new software program VBMS and I have been told some information from the older VA programs called MAPD, SHARE, VETSNET on a limited basis.

4. The messages seen by the Veterans in eBenefits, are "tracking items" for their pending claims that are found in the VBMS and other programs. Tracking suspense dates and reasons stated in the eBenefits lets the VA employees and the Veterans know what is happening with each claim.

I will try to post a list of the various tracking items that we use so you can see how many different issues that could be involved.

When a Veteran sees "VBMS" in his VA EBenefits screen, the term "VBMS" is a holding place in the program, to show that this Veteran's claim is scanned and being tracked in the NEW program. This does not mean his entire claims file is in eBenefits. It could be some or all.

Seeing this listed in the claim section is NOT a claim for VBMS. It comes at the bottom of the list of claimed conditions and it is a "system " place holder.

When the Veteran's see 5103 waiver in eBeneftis, it simply means the recevied the WTEMS paragraphs (What The Evidence Must Show) for the claims for direct S/C, increase S/C, and secondary S/C. Either through he EZ application or through a letter format.

If these WTEMS cover all the claims the Veteran claimed, then the veteran will NOT get a 5103 letter. If the Veteran has conditions that are more than the trifecta (3) usual (direct increase secondart), he will get 5103 letter with more WTEMS and Special Issues paragraphs.

Important: claims are being processed out of two different programs right now. Some of you will get correspondance from the MAPD program which has been used for the past 7 or so years. And some of you will get correspondance from the VBMS paperless program. You will still be mailed letters thorugh the US postal service no matter which system is used.

EBenefits, pulls some information from both programs. It will be a while before you can count on ebenefits be accurate, unless your cliam is processed 100% in VBMS.

The letter in the old system looks better and the old system letter can be editied. The letter in the new system VBMS do no have an edit function and the letter auto populates by the VSR/RVSR clicking pre formed sentences and paragraphs. (it's not a very pretty letter). Hopefully, it will improve soon.

I hope this helps clarify and separates these issues a bit, as I think people can get them confused with one another.- Harleyman

My claim appears now the be delayed waiting for the "5103 Waiver Review from third party" according to eBenefits, the rest of my claim has progressed and should now be ready for a decision, here is what I believe the real problem is and I have not seen this discussed. Somewhere someone posted a VA document explaining the 5103 Waiver Review process, it discuses that this is a one time initiative affecting about 180,000 pending claims. When you read the entire document you will find that the VA RO is required to forward the ENTIRE claims folder to the scanning facility to be scanned into the new system (VBMS). All the affected claimants were sent the 5103 waiver notice form. Lots of people like my self watched our claim times jump significantly once the scanning center (Janesville WI) was involved in the loop.

I confirmed my files were sent to WI by my RO several months ago, I now believe the delay is the actual scanning of these files the RO's have sent. Remember if you received a 5103 notice that means your entire VA paper file for all your claims has been sent to be scanned in, it makes me wonder at this point have they lost some files in the process, or are they just that overwhelmed and backlogged trying to scan all these files into the new VBMS system?

The reason it is indicating "3rd Party" is that the scanning centers are government contractors not actual VA employees.

One of my clues to figuring this out, is that I had surgery back in August and I filed a Hardship request to at least speed up my temporary 100% rating for the recovery time. The RO agreed and thought they could do this, I brought them all the necessary paperwork, but found out there was no copies of my file at the RO, after giving them all the paperwork, eBenefits indicated they still needed proof of my original Service Connected Disability, which was related to the surgery. I scratched my head thinking they have my file they should know this already, now I realize all my old paperwork and files were sent to this 3rd party scanning center and no one has seen them since.

I am not sure if it will help me or not, but tonight I scanned in my old award letters and uploaded them to eBenefits under the claim for the surgery, tomorrow I should know something, everything I have scanned in and uploaded to date has been acknowledged and updated in eBenefits the same day.

This really needs to be looked into further by someone who knows how to contact the right people at the VA.

Edited by W4LNY

• HadIt.com Elder

I am in "gathering evidence" stage for about 5 months. I also have a "Waiting for 5103 Waiver Review" entry in Ebenefits . I called the VARO and asked them was the VA waiting for me to send in some information or a form. They said "NO, we just have a lot of claims". I informed the VA when I filed my claim that all my records were at the VA hospital in Tampa. I am filing for an increase in my DMII rating. It is pretty simple I think. I had to start taking oral meds to help control my glucose levels. I still do not understand what is happening with this claim.

John

john999 you are in the same boat as me, your VA Claims records have all been sent to the 3rd party contractors scanning facility, the VA no longer has any of your records and no decision can be made until your files are scanned into the new VBMS system.

I could understand that scanning 180,000 VA Claim folders into the new system could take some time, but it is scary to think that the RO's are sending out our complete folders to these 3rd parties without keeping copies, the chances of something getting lost or misplaced is very high I would believe.

• HadIt.com Elder

W4LNY

My records may be at the CAVC right now since I have a hearing on Wednesday of this week. I also worry about lost C-Files which is why I have a copy. The idea that 40 years of claims and evidence is floating around between D.C. and my RO storage facility will keep you up at night. It is all on paper which can and has burned in the past. When I got my copy of my File it was a complete mess. When my lawyer got his copy he was used to SSD where it is all neat and in order. VA is about 50 years behind times in every way including compensation rates.

My FDC is at Review of evidence and has been for 4 months. It also shows 5103 is overdue, so I called. The 5103 has been added and if I look at Evidence recieved it shows they have it too.

I am waitng for the Preparation for Decision phase to kick in now.

Do I read this right? All required evidence is there to move my case forward. Sounds like a rare positive note to me.