VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dsm 5 - Update

Actually they've made it easier to claim PTSD since the fear-based thing & lowered the "credible evidence" criteria for MST (military sexual trauma). I'm glad the stupid GAF thing is gone, we barely ever looked at them unless we were in a real bind as to what evaluation to give. Here's a secret: when claiming PTSD, always say u have sleep disturbance, hypervigilance, must constantly check perimeter/locks/windows/do full sweep of house or place u r in, and that you are highly suspicious of ppl (NYers have that one down already). That will usually get you a higher evaluation. You never heard this from me, i was never hear **disappears into shadows**

You are just too funny : - )

looks like they added jonesing for weed and coffee as a substance abuse disorder. I guess crack didnt make the cut.

The va is catching on to the fact that veterans are educating themselves to the laws, rules and processes, and they cant pull the wool over the eyes as easy as they used to.

I guess now they will start jacking with the wordage of ilnesses in order to technically deny compensation.

They will tell you that you dont meet the criteria, but wont tell you what the criteria is.

Personally, ALL of my Rating Decisions say post 1985 - tell me EXACTLY, what the criteria is.

If someone doesn't know the criteria they can check out 38 CFR - Parts 3 & 4 to find out.

• In Memoriam

I noticed that with the substance use rules for VR, that the Dr. seems to be using AA time limits. Fact seems that a lot of the changes are AA myths. I have been sober in AA for 39 years now, we have always stressed the 90 day clean and sober saying.

The 90 days has nothing to to do with anything. It is just a way to give the newbe hope for a while until the shite hits the fan. They are actually using this 90 day BS as a rule.

It is sad and true that they don't have a clue. One of the new AA enthusiast seems to have gotten into the system.

I also got the feeling that they are trying to eliminate gender.

• HadIt.com Elder

I took illegal drugs in the army some 40 years ago to self medicate I even turned myself in to a drug rehab program the army cooked up. I have not used any illegal drugs since. Am I a recovered addict and is that a disability? Now I get the same drugs I used in the army for free from the VA. This is a giant leap forward.

Substance/alcohol abuse is not a disability per se, but is usually attached to the Axis 1 for things like PTSD or depression/anxiety. Unless a doc specifies the abuse was directly due to PTSD (or whatever), the VA is reluctant to rate it, because if you develop something.....say cirrhosis of the liver due to alcohol abuse.....and it's part of the PTSD (PTSD with alcohol abuse in remission) then it technically can be claimed secondary to your PTSD w/alcohol abuse & they will have to grant the cirrhosis.

• 5 months later...

Veldrina: Your posts are most informative. I work with a few fellow Nam PTSD Vets. My point to them, pre DSM-5 implementation, was always remember "What you say can and will be used against you!" It wasn't unusual, when reviewing a Vets VA Clinician notes, to see his GAF score had improved 6-8 points. In some cases, enough of an improvement, to trigger a possible rate reduction exam.

If you could opine regarding the current PTSD regulations regarding the deference placed on private non VA Psychiatrist or Psychologist PHD or otherwise DBQ's, that are contradictory in diagnosis to the VA C&P Examiners DBQ.

Recently, I advised NAM PTSD Vet 50% SC, to file a Alcohol-substance abuse secondary and or aggravated by his SC PTSD. My position is the self medicating theory. He definitely has PTSD and now he has a diagnosis of Alcoholism and substance abuse. My concern is, he's was an alcoholic-substance abuser, well before receiving the official PTSD diagnosis from the VA. In most cases, that appears to be a deal breaker. I'm not sure if he has non VA medical records predating his PTSD DX indicating the alcoholism- substance abuse.

Thank you

Semper Fi

Gastone

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use