VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is He Saying Here?

Rate this question

free_spirit_etc

Question

This is actually from one of my IMOs

"The 100 or so pages of records that I have reviewed clearly show that he was separated from the US Air Force on 9/30/98 at a time when he manifested no symptoms from his left lower lobe lung cancer (although Ms XXXXX has indicated that he complained of fatigue at the time of his discharge which can be a prominent symptoms of lung cancer). A chest x-ray done on 6/24/96 was read as unremarkable. A physical exam performed at the time of his separation from the service cannot be found at this time."

Does it sound like he is saying that my husband's reported fatigue could be related to his cancer? I actually think that he is saying that he manifested no symptoms -- but that he reported fatigue and that could be a symptom. (i.e. he manifested no apparent symptoms expect for possibly fatigue).

But since he stated it the way he did -- especially with parenthesize - the VA could also take it to mean - He manifested no symptoms - and even though he reported fatigue, and fatigue is a prominent symptom of lung cancer (i.e. he did not manifest any symptoms)

I am wondering about that before I start finalizing my argument. I also wonder if I should write and ask him to clarify the statement -- and see about adding an addendum to his IMO that expands on the fatigue a bit.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Iraqvet,

I paid $1500 for each one. One doctor charged $500 and hour with a $1500 retainer. I know he spent more than three hours on it because he sent me several revisions. But when I asked him how much extra I owed him, he said no charge.

The other doctor usually charges $600 an hour with a $3000 retainer, but after he looked at the records he told me he couldn't believe that they were making the widow of a veteran prove this case; that any doctor (VA doctors included) should know that my husband's cancer started well before he retired. But we all know there is a difference between what VA doctors know and what they write.

This IMO doctor decided to only charge me half his standard amount - (He said because I was an individual and not a high priced attorney) and I sent him a $1500 retainer. I asked him several times to let me know when I owed him more, because I know he spent well over 5 hours total. I know he felt bad that I was having to pay for a medical opinion. He kept telling me this shouldn't even be a battle. But he never charged me any extra.

So even at their stated rates, they might cut you some slack. Their rates are usually rates for attorneys for legal cases. Some will charge less to individuals.

Some doctors I contacted were not willing to write IMOs for unrepresented individuals though.

freespirit,

Were the 2 IMO's very expensive to get done?

Thank you

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use