VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi Secondary's

Rate this question

jackdays

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Jackdays-

It's frustrating how VA needs everything to be written in the exact way they want it or they deny it. Then when you resubmit it their way, according to their "secret code", they will approve it.

Make sure to let him know dementia and Parkinson's are "presumptives of TBI". As long as he already has a TBI diagnosis, then gets a diagnosis of those (or can get diagnosed at a VA C&P exam AND he puts in for them as "secondary to TBI", then they should be approved. Depending on the date of his claim and the date these presumptives are included in the law, there should be no problems getting them approved.

The depression can also be a presumptive to TBI, but it has to meet very specific criteria, as mentioned in my first post.

An issue can be filed as:

1) direct service connected OR

2) secondary OR

3) presumptive

Each type of claim needs to be written in a specific way with specific evidence.

My depression claim was denied, eventhough on my progress notes submitted states "Patient suffers severe depression from migrane headackes triggered by service connected TBI, which dramatically affect his quality of life. It was written up as a direct service connection injury. (Thanks CVSO).

Submitted letter of reconsideration the following day asking it to be rated as a secondary to TBI. It's now under Admin Review. And yes, I chewed out my Rep.

Claim reopened as "secondary to TBI. C&P examiner supported my claim essentially writing me a nexus letter. I'm at Prep for decision and the claim was given a specific due date from some administrator to order it finished May 29th, which I find very strange.

On 11/20/2013 at 11:35 PM, NavyWife said:

A TBI can be a life altering event because it involves the brain. So many things can be secondary to TBI, but I will get the list started...

Depression

Anxiety

PTSD due to the TBI event

Any physical damage caused by the TBI event

Tinnitus

Scars from the TBI event

Sleep Apnea has been linked to TBI

Neurological issues

Nerve damage

Headaches

Blurred vision

There are also 5 recognized secondary issues for TBI including seizures, depression within a specific time frame after the TBI & Parkinson's & dementia. These issues do not need a nexus statement linking them to a service connected condition. Only the diagnosis is needed, so long as the TBI has already been service connected.

http://legalmeetspractical.com/2012/12/26/va-recognizes-five-disabilities-as-secondary-to-traumatic-brain-injury/

Don't forget with the exception of the 5 recognized secondary conditions, the vet will need a nexus statement from the doctor. Once the doc diagnoses each secondary issue, they must also state, "the _______is at least as likely as not caused by TBI."

How about a TBI due to a PTSD related incident