VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&t

Rate this question

kane

Question

good afternoon everyone..
so i just checked my benefits and i found out that i was awarded 100% P&T.
i had a 10% disability due to Tinnitus, and now with the last claim (PTSD) having been approved, i've gone up to 100% P&T. i know if you're 100% P&T for mental is just like IU, it prevents you from working, but what if you had another disability (like in my case), would you still be able to work? or you can't because the PTSD is the more severe disability.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete992

That is only true for those who are TDIU. If you are 100% for PTSD and can manager to pass your time productively working some small part time job why should you tell the VA anything. Most vets who are 100% schedular for an emotional disability can't work full time anyway, but if they are able to bag groceries or cut lawns to make a few bucks I can't see the harm. I am TDIU so I can't work without the VA looking me over if I have SSA earnings. I know the VA says you have to be an egg plant to get 100% scheduler for PTSD or any other emotional disability, but there is no one on this list that fits into that category as far as I know. If you can stay under the radar for making some money from a hobby I say do it. If you were to become really successful that might mean you had rehabilitated yourself. There would be no fraud unless you were getting SSD as well and hiding it from them and IRS as well. I think there is a double standard for mental vs physical disabilities built right into the rating system. SSA lets a disabled person try working for a year before cutting them off from benefits. Unless most people are making over six figure incomes you are probably better off getting 100% from the VA and SSD. Because I get OPM disability, TDIU, SSD and money from a private disability insurance policy I do make more than when I worked, and I have better insurance.

John

That is only true for those who are TDIU. If you are 100% for PTSD and can manager to pass your time productively working some small part time job why should you tell the VA anything. Most vets who are 100% schedular for an emotional disability can't work full time anyway, but if they are able to bag groceries or cut lawns to make a few bucks I can't see the harm. I am TDIU so I can't work without the VA looking me over if I have SSA earnings. I know the VA says you have to be an egg plant to get 100% scheduler for PTSD or any other emotional disability, but there is no one on this list that fits into that category as far as I know. If you can stay under the radar for making some money from a hobby I say do it. If you were to become really successful that might mean you had rehabilitated yourself. There would be no fraud unless you were getting SSD as well and hiding it from them and IRS as well. I think there is a double standard for mental vs physical disabilities built right into the rating system. SSA lets a disabled person try working for a year before cutting them off from benefits. Unless most people are making over six figure incomes you are probably better off getting 100% from the VA and SSD. Because I get OPM disability, TDIU, SSD and money from a private disability insurance policy I do make more than when I worked, and I have better insurance.

John,

Actually, it means that any veteran awarded 100% TDIU or 100% Schedular for a single mental health disability cannot legally work by the rating standards. Total occupational impairment means that the veteran was awarded 100% because he or she claimed that their symptoms are so severe that they can’t work. Even a part time job would preclude the 100% rating and the veteran should be awarded 70% instead of the 100% rating. Unless the veteran has another 100% rating it would be illegal and we all know how the VA loves to go after veterans. I don't think it would be worth it.

Kane, Congrats on your win and be happy and be safe.