VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant Disability Pay And Retroactive Pay?

Rate this question

jet2die4u

Question

Within the last year my disability rating was increased to 40%. Of course this amount allows dependents to be considered in the payment amount. After getting notice of the rate increase, I applied to be compensated for the new monthly amount with dependents. Its been about nine months and I haven't heard anything. I was married and had my family while I was on active duty. My main question is .... if the decision is made for recognize my dependents, will I receive any back pay for the dependents? Thank you very much for your help!

yes you will. Let me explain why the dependency claims are taking a long time. Most VARO's have taken the employees that handled dependency actions and moved them to work on the back log of claims. Most (not all) VARO's only have one person handling the dependency claims and, only as an additional duty. Now you been in the service, your aware what additional duties are. You get to them when your primary responsibility is completed. I can tell you that there are a few VARO's that are only completing 5 of these a month.

When I first started this journey of assisting veterans 8 years ago, I would submit the dependency claim and it would be done in 30-45 days. The longest I have seen a dependency claim is 27 months. Again, this depends upon your VARO.

When you do get paid, you will receive your retroactive pay from either your retirement date or date that the VA received your claim.

Hang in there....

Yeah, Meg is correct unfortunately. I am in your situation and am going through the Winston Salem VARO. They estimate a max wait of 14 months to complete! Could be more, could be less...nobody knows. This is UNACCEPTABLE for the VA to get away with this but up to now, that's been what's happening. Their answer is that they need to focus on the backlog and dependency claims are considered "non-rating" claims (not factored in in the backlog numbers) so we get put on the back burner. Last week they actually responded to an IRIS I submitted by telling me my VARO had accumulated 38,000 so called "non-rating" claims. It's a mess and I truly hope your claim gets resolved faster than mine. What a shame our politicians let them get away with this. It is numbers juggling and done at our expense! If this happened in the military some heads would roll because someone would be heald accountable. Instead, it's more likely that we'll wake up tomorrow to see some $$ being spent on a congressional inquiry over the suspension of the Duck Dynasty dude getting suspended!! Hang tough Jet2die4u...good luck with your claim & let us know when you get it completed.

LC

I volunteered to work at the Louisville VARO, one day a week doing the dependency claims. I was told no, you have to be an employee. In the last 4 years I have turned down 3 jobs with the VA. I was good enough to be considered for employment, but not to volunteer one day a week....

Thank you all for the responses! It is a bit frustrating....what really concerns me though is if things are missed up now what is going to happen when the AF cuts 25k Airmen and who knows how many from the Nave, Marines and Army? The letters went out this week in the AF. Even still, I'm thankful to be have been able to serve! Thanks again.