VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

I just received an email in response to a request for my in service records. To my surprise, I found that the only records related to my medical history in service are my entrance exam and the top sheet to my exit exam. The rest of the file is just SRB stuff. How does this effect my ability to provide proof of service connection for everything?

Also, one more hitch is: I came home from Iraq in August 2003 and was discharged (on terminal leave) just a few weeks after my return. My EAS was 9-11-2013 (wierd I know), so that didn't leave much time to evaluate what was wrong with me. Either way, there are no records to find. I have been trying for the past 8 years, roughly.

I am starting to collect more paperwork to help ease these claim processes, but this is a huge piece of the puzzle I'm missing. I don't know how I have gotten as far as I've gotten without them, but I'm not one to complain.

All that, for this: what do I do? Are there any other avenues of approach for these records or do I just leave it be and see what happens?

Thanks a bunch.

-Mario

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Have you contacted both the VA and the National Records Center? The VA is supposed to exhaust all efforts to try to obtain your records. That doesn't mean they will try very hard, but they should send more than one request.

You could try contacted the base where you were stationed and see if they have any medical records / doctor's notes, etc.

If your records have been lost the VA should provide you with information of other ways you can substantiate a claim. There may be other records that provide support to your testimony. Also, you should receive a heightened benefit of the doubt, and the VA is supposed to consider and discuss all evidence that is favorable to your claim in their decision. That doesn't mean they will, but it is something to point out on an NOD.

Can I ask, what you are claiming / trying to prove? What evidence do you have? What evidence do you think the lost records would have shown?

Maybe we can figure out some other ways to support what the lost records would have shown.

Yes, I've contacted both and have yet to find any success.

This more of a preemptive question. Because I picked up my cpap machine this morning and I know I went to sick bay more than a few times for being tired and being real sore in the morning. With all the hoopla being thrown around about sleep apnea, I'd much rather have my ducks in a row before submitting the claim.

Thanks

-Mario

Buddy statements from someone you served with that remembered you being tired a lot, could verify you snored, etc. might help.

A spouse / partner that could state you snored a lot / were tired a lot immediately after your discharge.

Reports of missing work from fatigue - in service, or shortly after discharge.

Statements from anyone who could show continued symptoms.

Evidence of neck size in military, especially if there was in increase in neck size.

Just some thoughts....

From what I have read though... sleep apnea is getting much harder to get SCed.

Good luck!

Edited by free_spirit_etc

Obviously I sure believe the VA had your SMRs etc when they awarded you the comp you have now.

Is it possibly the records might still be at your VARO?

Have you applied for SSDI benefits?

The SSA office had all of my husband VA records stacked on a dolly cart .With his permission the SSA let me peruse them a little while we waited for something.,when he applied for SSDI and they included some VAMC records ,from a VAMC in a different state we lived in, medical records which our VARO told me didn't exist.

Those records revealed the confirmation of his PTSD stressor and considerable other important info.

Also the VA retires records sometimes and keeps them somewhere else in St Louis.....

Someone posted that info here........ hope someone chimes in.

They retire records of deceased veterans as well until the surviving spouse opens a DIC claim and/or an accrued claim.

I would give this address a try. I've been somewhat successful in obtaining medical records from these guys.

Department of Veterans Affairs

Records Management Center

PO Box 5020

St Louis, MO 63115-5020

I would suggest downloading a SF 180, completing and sending to the above address.

Berta has hit the nail right on the head! When I first tried to get a couple of my medical records for a claim for DB2 in 2003 I contacted the records department and while they did have my last orders and orderly stuff and such. They put a note in that my medical records where at the RO where I had put in my first claim.

My first claim was in 1983! For hearing loss and they had them all the time?

Stillhere