Proudvet

Vet Records Destroyed

9 posts in this topic

I wonder if the Va is going to contact the vets whos records were used as squirrel bedding in the woods.

I bet a silver dollar theres more to the story than whats being told. I bet theres more people involved than will ever be told.

The real story here is the average 3% error rate for the 37 other employees. That means that 3 out of every 100 Veterans will have records that are either incomplete or missing. The system is broken even before we get to the VA !

You are a tough cookie, but usually right. I always say " If we owed the Govt 1 penny they would hunt us down like dogs, yet when the VA owes us legitimate money, we have to fight them every step of the way, WTH!"

1 person likes this

Not far from the truth. I happen to be one of the lucky ones that records were a huge mess. After stop loss lifted, it was a fast track out on an over extended contract. None of my OIF or awards listed. Luckily I kept copies, but it makes no difference. Everyone passes the ball, and no one wants to touch it!

Hellraiser 7

And how many VARO employees have been charged in relation to the "Redaction" effort in about 2008 and the "shreddergate" scandals?

Zero, as far as I know! I'd love to see the instructions given to those involved! My guess is that the VA would refuse any FOIA request, on the grounds that revealing the way internal operations work is protected.

(And, naturally, it might reveal who as individuals was/is responsible.)

To show how things sometimes work within the government.

A couple of decades ago, when I was still working, we were directed to dispose of records concerning the B-52.

This was at a time when the AF wanted to drastically reduce the number in service. Congress decided something different, and as I remember, required that a much higher number be kept in service.

Anyway, a day or two after we reported that the records, per directive, were destroyed, members of an an official "research" group came by, wanting to see the records. They were most put out when we had to tell them that they were a day or two late!

About the same time frame, within a year or so, we were also directed to dispose (Scrap) new or servicable spares for certain B-52 systems. "Repairable" spares were not scrapped, since that might impact the Overhaul Depot's "workload". We did what we could to retain higher assembly servicable and "new" old stock items.

It made no difference that the spares had not been built for years, and no viable source for new spares existed.

(And according to EPA rules, could not be built anyway.) (Lead in glass tube envelopes, and Thorium in tube filaments were just two of the problems.)

Supposedly, money was saved, based upon the cost of warehouse space, periodic inspections, and repackaging.

They also had the warehouses torn down, just to make sure that nothing remained.

Edited by Chuck75