VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia/ Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

Rate this question

ArNG11

Question

I've been reading and trying to find resources for this condition. I just got hit with it out of the blue and it landed me in the hospital for 8 days or so. It got real serious and quite scary when they were talking about removing organs and constant blood and platelet transfusions. As there is no known specific cause for this disease it is difficult to research. Has anyone who has been to SW Asia, 2007-2008, had any problems with coming down with this? If so what treatment path did you take and how are you managing with the choices you made.

I have been doing a lot of soul searching and basically doing the mirror test along with research.. I don't feel that I can submit a claim for ITP as a result of my military service. Although I have had a few exposures via jet gun inoculations, unserialized shots, and environmental exposures due to my Iraq tour, I have also been an aircraft mechanic at my Federal job since 2005. specifically a KC-135 tank rat. So although I have had a few exposure routes, my civilian career would most likely be the culprit. Ofcourse the booger here is a department of labor claim for ITP is as difficult as a claim as a VA claim would be. Yippee fun stuff huh. At least I am in remission, if I can call it that, from the ITP.

arng11,

When you did the mirror test, did you consider that regardless of whether your military service or your federal civilian employment caused your ITP, the federal government is still responsible. The money for any treatment or compensation for your ITP would come out of the same pot, the federal treasury. Also, if you file a claim with DOL, would they try to attribute your ITP to your military service when you make them aware of your exposures in the military?

Regardless of your decision, just take care of yourself.

arng11,

When you did the mirror test, did you consider that regardless of whether your military service or your federal civilian employment caused your ITP, the federal government is still responsible. The money for any treatment or compensation for your ITP would come out of the same pot, the federal treasury. Also, if you file a claim with DOL, would they try to attribute your ITP to your military service when you make them aware of your exposures in the military?

arng11,

I did take a long hard look. I don't want to file claims that I can't prove or in this game get the benefit of doubt. It all boils down to what I can prove and when symptoms started. I happen to be a KC135 mechanic, a fuels mechanic, I can't tell you how many times I was drenched with JP8 and JP4 it was more than I care to admit. So I have had more than one exposure route. The burn pits and the desert I am sure has taken it's toll. Botched immunizations is another. In any case with the ITP my likely exposure route would be my fuel exposures as I have researched many CAVC cases and Federal Cases where this has been deemed and connected to service. It's all on what I can prove. What were the exposure routes and what would most likely be the contributing cause, and when I started showing symptoms. Although I personally feel that SW Asia has its part, I don't feel it is the direct cause of my ITP which even if I did most people would think me the loon and either way I can't prove it conclusively. If DOL would state that my military service attributed to me getting ITP, I think they would be shooting themselves in the foot, since DOL, VA, Military are in the same pot. The kicker is this, the 240 plus aircraft that have come through the base that I worked on, many have been through service in the Gulf and all have had jet fuel in them when I worked them. There is just no way of knowing. I don't know what I can prove or disprove. All I can state for a fact is the I am sick an injured now and wasn't before, after by works as a federal employee and as a service member in this country's military

Oh the mirror test, I did that when I was in the hospital with ITP for eight days wondering if I was going to make it or not. Things were really put in perspective for me at that point. Then quantified when I realized I have had six surgeries on my hands and I am still in need of three more. I'll state that I believe my problems with my hands and ITP are a result of my service as an aircraft fuels mechanic. The other problems with my back and such were in the line of duty as a soldier and airman.

No offense taken by the way. I just want to make sure I keep my claims with the right agencies that are responsible.

Edited by arng11

arng11,

No offense taken. I just want you to get what you deserve considering what you have been through so far and will have to endure in the future. In your profile, you list your interests as "self preservation and achieving stable peace of mind," I hope the decision you make gives you both. I wish you nothing but the best.

Georgiapapa

arng11,

No offense taken. I just want you to get what you deserve considering what you have been through so far and will have to endure in the future. In your profile, you list your interests as "self preservation and achieving stable peace of mind," I hope the decision you make gives you both. I wish you nothing but the best.

Georgiapapa

Thanks. I wish the same for every one else here. Thats the power of sharing our experiences and knowledge. Don't mean to sound like a support group but it is the truth.

I too was in the Navy and served over in the Persian Gulf during the Gulf war.  During transit, we received many vaccinations and many became ill; including, myself within 24 hrs of receiving the vaccines.  I was diagnosed with Ido-Pathic Thrombocytopenia and discharged from the Navy.  I had my spleen removed and was given high dose steroids both IV and PO.  Later, I was placed on interferon and under went chemotherapy for the disease.  Because of the high dose steroids, I've been diagnosed with bi-lateral AVN and now I have to have both of my hips replaced.  I'm in constant pain and in a battle with the VA over pain meds and hip replacement surgery.  I never thought I'd find anyone else with this diagnoses.  Feel free to contact me if you need to discuss this disease in detail.