VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Advice, Questio.

Rate this question

hmcquade

Question

HI,

I am rated at 60% for Tinnitus, PN, Diabetes II. I filed a clam last November with the DAV, for PAD secondary to the DM II.

I had a C&P at the Saginaw MI. VA on April 25,this past Friday my claim was denied. I sent in 2 Drs. statements along with the ultra sound of my legs, with the claim in November. My DAV rep suggested we send in a Reconsider with new medical evidence.

I have never gotten a IMO from a Dr. who did not exam me. Is it worth getting one? How much weight could it have with the VA rating person when this Dr. is out of state, and never examined me?

Thanks,

Hugh

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If the VA is denying you then having medical evidence in your favor is much better than not having medical evidence in your favor. If possible, I think it would be better to get an opinion from a doctor who has examined you.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

Thanks for the reply I had two of my own Dr. who are treating me write medical statements for me, the rating person said they did not make a nexus, not developed enough WOW I have a SC for DMII and now I have PAD both stated it was as least likely than not that the PAD is secondary to the DMII.

So I was wondering of an IMO from another DR. who does that for a living would have any weight.

Thanks,

Hugh

Thanks Philip. I was on the phone this morning with my DAV SO in Detroit. We went over the denial letter the SO stated my Drs did not state the reason why they medically believed the PAD is Secondary to the DMII, that I need to go back to them and get them to write a more comprehensive medical option.

Well the original letter was what my DAV SO told me to get. He did say to VA rater really went after every thing he/she could to deny the claim.

So I asked the DAV SO if he could refer me to a Dr. in Michigan that does IMO's, he said he did not know of any. Well back to square one, I have to go back to my Drs. and ask them to rewrite the letters.

This, to me, is a no brainer, I have SC DM II and now I have PAD.

Thanks,

Hugh

Since you have supporting evidence from your own doctors, then getting an IMO from someone who is more skilled at writing a nexus statement would most likely strengthen your claim. It would still be good if you can get your treating physicians to explicitly state that your PAD is related to your SC DM II. But having an IMO that supports those statements, and gives a more detailed analysis than some treating physicians are willing to write, may help your claim.

I am not sure that there is any such thing as a "no brainer" with the VA.

Since you have supporting evidence from your own doctors, then getting an IMO from someone who is more skilled at writing a nexus statement would most likely strengthen your claim. It would still be good if you can get your treating physicians to explicitly state that your PAD is related to your SC DM II. But having an IMO that supports those statements, and gives a more detailed analysis than some treating physicians are willing to write, may help your claim.

I am not sure that there is any such thing as a "no brainer" with the VA.

Thanks I called Dr. Singer Tuesday and today, I am mailing him my medical info. etc.

HUGH

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use