VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anything To Do In The Case Of A Rush Job?

Rate this question

Spanman

Question

I was on Stop/Loss following 9/11, once they released my AFSC it was outgoing folks in droves. The retirement/seperation briefing was at capacity when I took it and the VFW did a cursory review of med records and told folks what they should file for....well when I had my sitdown they missed 1/2 my issues and had the glassed over look of someone who was overwhlemed. And rightly so considiering how many folks were outproceesing at once. My records from the VFW were actually sent to Arkansas (AR), not Alaska (AK) because well...it happens (alot). So my confidnace in them took a nose dive and I filed for myself (to which I have been fighting the past 10 Years).

My exam was also the same way, I was sent to the Hospital and the Dr was unaware he was even giving me a final out, he asked what I was there to see him about because the top of the form was blank (lasted less than 15 min). My hearing test failed the first time because they were giving me an annual and not outP so the numbers were jacked up, I did have hearing loss and slight tinuiitus but all that was missed.

I guess this is all coming up because a friend getting ready to seperate just spent 4 hours with a VFW rep going over EVERYTHING! I know it's been awhile, but I feel I wouldn't still be in the fight I am in if it was done correctly. Yes I bear part of this because I did things on my own, not getting help because I thought the service org was a hinderance...I mean who misses 1/2 of the important facts and sends things to another state? Anyway, is there any action that can be done about this? I know there have been review boards after 9/11 due to individuals not getting a fair assesment but my service guy (DAV) dosn't think it's the same thing becuase I wasn't on a review board for service conncted, I was simply getting out.

Any advise on what I could do? Or just let it go and press on with my current battle....

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Just try to help as best you can, and as long as you have the ammo, you can always fight the Govt. I was just medically retired last year, and I know about the rush job, even though the 5 years I spent in OIF/OEF, the VA did not care about my bad health then. God Bless and good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't get discouraged. If I could give any advice to anyone either starting their fight or continuing on with the VA is to always appeal if you have a case. I started my plight in 1995 and after 19 years I have 13 service connections. The VA tends to get very confused and makes possible mistakes as the number of aliments grow with a Veteran.

Luckily I appealed all along the way and now that I can't work I'm 100% P&T. It seems with me every time a decision is made either by the RO or the BVA they give me a little more. I did my own case for years and I'm back on my own again. The biggest mistake I made in the earlier years was bombarding them with statements about what they missed. Although you do need to bring up the errors, just appeal on time and make sure all your evidence is in.

The smaller your case file the better. My file size gets brought up everything the BVA sees it. Now, most of my file is straight up evidence but I did get frustrated for a while at missed evidence and sent in a multitude of lay statements because I was in disbelief how evidence could be ignored. Although you do need to submit lay statements try to make them short and sweet as they say.

I would recommend talking to multiple VSO's if possible. Early on I would just sign with whoever and leave it in their hands. All VSOs are not the same. Most of all the name of the game is patience.