VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non Agent Orange Source Of Dioxin/polychlorinated Dibenzodioxins

Rate this question

augoldminer

Question

On March 17, 1973, during Operation Endsweep Haiphong harbor North Vietnam the minesweep I was on(USS Enhance) suffered a major engine room fire.

This was our main generator room and the fire burned most of the wireing in the engine room to a crisp. almost everyone on board took in some smoke from this fire.

and i was a electrician and spent months working in the burned out engine room during the rebuilding process.

Some of this wireing dated back to when the ship was built (October 1952)and would have had PCB containing in the insulation on the electrical cables.

from the research i have done these cables would have released large ammounts of dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins as they burned.

Since 2002 in have had two rare autoimmune disorders Castleman's disease and Sarcoidosis.and plus a heart attack and diabetes from what i have found all could be linked to dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins exposure years ago.

Sarcoidosis is classed as a Occupational Disease among firefighters.

And they would have been exposed to burning PCB containing wiring in older buildings.

Now how do i file for service connection to dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins exposure not linked to agent orange.

• HadIt.com Elder

I bet you could file for PTSD. You need a doctor to say your current diseases are the result of expose to dioxin/poly................. You must have medical evidence from expert to make the connection. The fact you were exposed is in your military records, correct? You must show nexus between exposure and current disability. The claim you file should contain a statement in IMO format that exposure caused the diseases you mention. You will get more feedback.

John

I think you might need to check this site out:

"Sep 1971 – Jun 1974 halo501@verizon.net I was on the Enhance when it was on fire in N. Vietnam.
Dahl, Terry QM1 Dec 10, 1971 – Jul 30, 1975 Operations Dept.
Steele, Mike qm sn Dec 10, 1971 – Dec 10, 1973 deck first with gunner's mate...later ops with dahl and elder during the fire in n. vietnam elder and i had to clean out and secure all ammo mags containing tnt and other warfare toys...
Marine, Joe DECK SEAMAN 1972 – 1974 Deck It was a lot of fun going to Vietnam and back on board. We had a lot of good times and a lot of good ports.
Mosbarger, Mike (Moose) EM 3 1972 – 1974 Engineering Theese 2 years were the best of the 12 I served"

http://navysite.de/crewlist/commandlist.php?&commandid=1020&startyear=1953

John is right...it will take a strong medical opinion such as an IMO (we have an IMO forum here) to establish a PCB nexus to any or all of your current disabilities.

However, AO has been the most important veteran's issue of my life and I see this in a potentially different way.......

This link is the VA's most updated Ships list for exposures of Navy veterans to Agent Orange.

The USS Enhance is on it.

Enhance (MSO-437)

"Entered inland waterway of Qui Nhon Bay repeatedly during October through November 1968 and January through February 1969"
- See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/list.asp#sthash.TjJkyyFc.dpuf

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/list.asp

This list had grown due to Blue Water veterans proving their ship was exposed to AO.

If the USS Enhance was exposed to AO in 1968-1969, is it possible you were on the Enhance during this above timeframe as well???

I see many things here in your post that can be possibly service connected to Agent Orange exposure.

Castleman's (if non Hodgkins type) , the diabetes if it is DM Type II, (diabetes mellitus) and the heart disease ,if it is Ischemic heart disease.

"Sarcoidosis is classed as a Occupational Disease among firefighters.

And they would have been exposed to burning PCB containing wiring in older buildings." That is an excellent point.

"Some of this wireing dated back to when the ship was built (October 1952)and would have had PCB containing in the insulation on the electrical cables."
I bet the ship was full of asbestos as well.(maybe even your fire gear.....I was with a voluinteer fire dept for many years. The old fire gear contained asbestos too as I understand it.

Is it possible that you were on any other ships that might be on the AO exposured ship's list for the time frame you were on them?

Did you ever have any type of 'visitation' to Vietnam, such as maybe a brief plane stop over? Or did you ,for any reason, find yourself in Brown water ( any tributary or river in Vietnam?

USS Enhance is on the AO ships list because the ship went into the inland waters at Qui Nhon Bay. Is it possible you were on the Enhance or any other ship that went into inland (Brown water) -Vietnam?

'"FINDINGS OF FACT

1. The veteran served in the Republic of the Vietnam during
the Vietnam era, and is presumed to have been exposed to
herbicide agents.

2. The veteran's particular Castleman's disease is medically
considered a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

CONCLUSION OF LAW

The veteran's Castleman's disease is presumed to have been
incurred during the veteran's active duty service. 38
U.S.C.A. §§ 1110, 1116, 5107 (West 2002); 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.303,
3.307, 3.309 (2006)."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files3/0720069.txt

i see the problem as not being the IMO but proving that the burning of cables containing PCBs create dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins and PCBs in the smoke.

in fact a doctor would have no knowlage of fire by products.

This is a well know fact in research into fire byproducts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568554/

Once i can prove that the fire caused the release of dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins and PCBs and being on the boat during the fire exposed me to them.

Then presumptive diseases associated would cover proving that my health problems were caused by the non agent orange dioxin exposure.

The only place i was that had agent orange was two stops at Johnston Island in 1973 to fill our ships fresh water tanks and refuel.

"Once i can prove that the fire caused the release of dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins and PCBs and being on the boat during the fire exposed me to them."

Yes, you are right. An IMO doctor (as well as us claimants) however can often raise evidence from solid internet sources to help establish those facts.

And then after a complete reading of our records , an IMO doc can also rule out any other etiology ( cause) but for the claimed nexus as to the reason for the disability (ties)

VA is always quick to try to find a non service cause for anything.we claim.

You do have a valid claim and are certainly willing to do the leg work to prove it.

Dr. Craig Bash who did 2 IM0s for me and has helped many others here, will be at our hadit radio show this AM at 10 AM EST.

The call in number is 1-347-237-4819

You could call in and ask him if he has ever handled any PCB claims or I will ask him on the air if I get a chance....

The BVA web site (go to www.va.gov, then to the site index, and then to the BVA, they have an excellent search feature )

might reveal other claims similar to yours for the same basis of exposure to PCBs.

I found 3 successful Johnson Island claims at the BVA.

I will post them in a separate AO topic because maybe they could help other vets.

Edited by Berta

I emailed the show producer and will ask Dr Bash on the air if he has had expertise with PCB claims,...if I have a chance...the show's is focused on the Phoenix scandal so maybe ,no chance to ask him on the air.

He is very user friendly and his contact info ( and John Dorleys, his superb helper ,also on the show today ) is here at hadit.