VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Conducted Before Psychologist/psychiatrist Appointments....

Rate this question

USMCTanker

Question

Just as my topic states, I am brand new to this process. I was advised to go to my VSO (found out I had one apparently, DAV) and they would begin the process for me to help with my symptoms. I went to the DAV, then VA. The DAV submitted a claim on my behalf. I was diagnosed for PTSD by the VA when I checked into my VA for the 1st time. Before I met with my psychologist/psychiatrist, they had scheduled my C&P. The C&P was based off of information that was in the system at the time.

So my issue is, had I had this complete before the C&P, it would have changed some markings by the C&P doctor. Since I have done everything through the VA so far, do they take in consideration appointments/medication prescribed that have taken place after the C&P? I have an abundant more appointments lined up for PTSD and am genuinely trying to seek help.

Edited by USMCTanker

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Devil Dog,

Welcome. Have they rated your PTSD yet? They are supposed to look at all your VA records. Talk to DAV and find out where you are in the process. Once you get service connected and get rated a % you need to see if they are rating you properly. If not you just have DAV file a notice of disagreement NOD with the rating. If your more recent medical documentation warrants a higher rating they can point that out and try to get it increased. If you should have been rated higher from the start they can argue that. Make sure you get the NOD submitted as soon as possible and within the one year appeal period to keep your initial rating date in tact. Make sense?

Semper Fi

Hey Devil Dog,

Welcome. Have they rated your PTSD yet? They are supposed to look at all your VA records. Talk to DAV and find out where you are in the process. Once you get service connected and get rated a % you need to see if they are rating you properly. If not you just have DAV file a notice of disagreement NOD with the rating. If your more recent medical documentation warrants a higher rating they can point that out and try to get it increased. If you should have been rated higher from the start they can argue that. Make sure you get the NOD submitted as soon as possible and within the one year appeal period to keep your initial rating date in tact. Make sense?

Semper Fi

Semper Fi brother! Makes perfect sense. Thank you so much!

Just as my topic states, I am brand new to this process. I was advised to go to my VSO (found out I had one apparently, DAV) and they would begin the process for me to help with my symptoms. I went to the DAV, then VA. The DAV submitted a claim on my behalf. I was diagnosed for PTSD by the VA when I checked into my VA for the 1st time. Before I met with my psychologist/psychiatrist, they had scheduled my C&P. The C&P was based off of information that was in the system at the time.

So my issue is, had I had this complete before the C&P, it would have changed some markings by the C&P doctor. Since I have done everything through the VA so far, do they take in consideration appointments/medication prescribed that have taken place after the C&P? I have an abundant more appointments lined up for PTSD and am genuinely trying to seek help.

Any treatment notes, etc . . that took place AFTER the C&P exam - I personally would go to ROI

and get copies of, make another set of copies and take those PRONTO to my VSO for submission

to the VARO.

I'd also read the notes first to see if they added anything for support of SC and current symptomology.

I'd be real quick about doing this while the claim is still being processed, this might negate the need

for a NOD.

jmho

hey devil,

Appeal any decision, since it isn't going to have the totality of your symptoms. they are basing it off old info.I think it is great you are using the DAV, but don't leave it up to them competely. You need to be more of an advocate for yourself. Unfortunately they are often overburdened and don't spend as much time on your case as you may want. I'm not implying they aren't either. I'm just urging you to get informed on your conditions. On this site you can find the regulations for each conidtion, if you dont know you ask and people will help you. Within each condition, it will give you the criteria and mention what percentage gets what. It isnt a perfect science but it is a start. I didn't find this site until my first appeal. I went with a De Novo Review, since they jacked my rating on bad info from the Marines on my medical retirement.

In any of your progress notes, the ones with the most weight are when doctors give a diagnosis and GAF (global assessment of function scores). The VA raters look for these the most in your Notes then they do the day to day progress notes. Essentially they want the highlights. Any diagnosis if it was old, then you will want to update them on your condition and how it relates to you working or not working. this is the #1 reason they are compensating us is for not being able to work or impact your work in my opinion. Your symptoms are what matters. Look at the rating crieteria for each percentage. How has this impacted your life? tell them in your own words in a letter if possible.

They want to know whatever you experienced, do you continue to have problems from it? panic attacks? trouble sleeping? irriability? loss of interest in stuff you use to do? anger? self medicating? avoidance of family or friends? loss of jobs or relationships? any police problems? any court issues? any hospitalizations for PTSD? any therapy?? types of medications? effects of medications? do you feel at times of hurting others? or youself? do you feel numb? like nothing matters? you have hard time expressing emotions?

sorry if I was way overboard, just trying to help

S/F