VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Benefits After Death

I am trying to gather information for my father who passed away in November. He received a payment on November 29th, 2013. He passed away November 19th, 2013. I contacted the VA almost immediately informing them of his death. The bank contacted my probate attorney just today telling them that they needed to pay back the November payment to them because it occurred after death. I had thought the payment in November was for October? I am trying to understand if this is correct and if I am wasting my time trying to fight it.

Appreciate any information anyone has.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right that the late November payment would be for the month of November, but it would be prorated. So you would have to pay it back to the VA and then they would do the Audit and find out what the final payment would be. It is a pain to go thru the VA after death. My bud died last November and here we are 7 months later and his widow has lost everything and received no income. She is barely able to eat and pay her basic bills. What a horrible thing to go thru at the age of 65. God Bless and keep us posted.