VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice On Upcoming C&p Exam

Rate this question

armyvet2010

Question

Hello everyone. I have an upcoming C&P that is scheduled in a few weeks. I filed for PTSD (both combat and physical assualt related) and mental condition. I am a little nervous because I don't know what to expect once at the exam. I know I have to be honest about everything,but I want to be sure I leave nothing out. This has been a long two years of this claim pending. Any advice on what to do or not to do while at or before the exam?

Armyvet2010,

Thank you for your service.

Just my opinion and BLUF is tell the truth, explain what happen during service and how it has impacted/affected your life function since and the emotional challenges from the events of service on your daily living.

See my post on preparing for a c& p exam. Download and fill out the DBQ's for what you are claiming. One important thing I did was upon completion of the exam, go out in lobby and immediately write down what areas that the doctor seemed to be asking leading question. Write down anything that you can remember. In my exam, I had my printed DBQ's and looked over it as I responded to the doctor's question. I made notes on what I told him. I was not surprised to see that the doctor put down what he wanted, not what was told him. I did this in 2012, and the VA had to re-do the exam!

• HadIt.com Elder

The tendency is to downplay your symptoms. Most want to "dress up" like you're going to court or something, when actually you should show them your worst day. Be truthful whatever you do. Don't deny suicidal or homicidal ideations, as they are common and many with PTSD have them. If you have a plan, tell them, as it shows how bad your PTSD is. Women often use pills, while men usually use guns. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

If you feel the tears begin to flow just let it happen. Don't be a tough guy because it works against you in a C&P for PTSD. Dress like you normally do on your worst day. I would avoid the firm handshake and steady gaze. The always count eye contact and affect against you if you smile or act cheerful or put on a brave front.

John