VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance

Rate this question

allenwilliams42

Question

Hello members!!!

I received a letter from Prosthetics stated my dual clothing allowance has been denied. Their reason was my bilateral knee braces and back brace don't have exposed metal hinges that would cause irreparable damage. I've recived clothing allowance for these devices for nearly ten years and had no problen until i applied for dual clothing allowance which I received for one year and denied the following year. I think this is a trap to get veterans to give up their static/grandfathered clause in order to disapproved their clothing allowance basis on their meaning of exposed metal verse non exposed metel. These device is needed for my serviced connected conditions and i wear them for approx 24 days a months and they cause my sweat pants to stretch and my shirts to frayed. In addition the bottom of my shorts wear from the frication of the knee braces rubbing against them. Please help me submitt an appeal for this situation.

Thanks

Allen

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Call prosthetics phone at the bottom of the letter and appeal. Go to the boss of the organization if you need to. Appeal this ASAP.

Allen, I just went thru the same issue a few months back. I have had 2 ACL/MCL surgeries on both Knees and SC, and I have DDD, Bulging Disc and whole in spine due to injury in OEF, and I too wear metal braces for knees, and hard plastic brace for back, and I was denied too. I was told to refile, but did not want to deal with the VA at this time for that issue. Sorry to hear of your troubles bud.

I received the same response and called the VA in Durham this am. Apparently, without notifying us vets, there was a letter sent to VA in DC from the maker of their knee braces. The manufacturer stated that their braces did not cause any clothing damage because they are completely enclosed with no metal parts exposed to cause damage....bunch of b.s. If you ask me, but the VA is running with it this year and denying claims

I just received a letter in the mail stating I was approved for both of my knee braces. Also got it last year as well. It must be area driven or VA personel driven. I just re filed this year and enclosed a copy of my grant from last year. Should be the same throughout the VA. Was denied that muscle rub heating rub though they said it doesn't affect clothes but it sure messes up my shirts over time.