VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus, Gerd, Insomnia Claims Help Needed

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

Has anyone filed for these claims and how is the c & p. I have filed the gerd/barretts and insomnia secondary to ptsd. The tinnitus is something I`ve had for many years and never realized a claim could be filed until finding Hadit.

Cavman

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If they gave you a hearing test it was NOT for TINNITUS. There is no hearing test for TINNITUS. I just had a C&P for TINNITUS Jun 06 at the VAMC and it consisted of just an oral interview that lasts about 5 minutes at the most. They review your service records and some oral questions and that was it. The C&P examiner wrote in the report "It is more likely than not the onset of Tinnitus occurred from military service due to exposure from military noises." Two other of my vet buddies recieved their 10% ratings almost a year ago and they never had any hearing tests for tinnitus either. If you were a combat veteran you should have no problem getting tinnitus awarded unless you were in a job where loud noises were prevalent or does a lot of hunting with firearms or shooting sports since being in combat. Then they will try and blame the tinnitus on your civilian work as in a foundry or shooting sports, etc.

I also filed a claim for Barrett's Esophagus in Mar 05 as initial claim. I have had C&Ps for everything but that, I did furnish the IMO by my gastroenterologists that has been treating me doing endoscopies and prescribed medication. My claim has been at the rating board since 28 June 06 and hopefully I will receive a rating decision this October. Today begins the 19th month I have been waiting.

Guest terrysturgis

Cavman, for my tinnitus claim I had an IMO from an Audiologist that the VFW SO recommended saying "it is as likely as not that the military noise exposure was a factor that Tinnitus started in the service". My wife had insurance and the exam was covered. I calibrated artillery in Viet Nam so noise exposure was a given. I also sent in a tape recording I made to my wife in 1969 that was full of explosions from the artillery in Dong Ha. Also my Service Medical Records showed hearing loss from entrance of the service till my discharge exam.

Evidence and proof is what is needed to get claims approved. Good Luck! Terry Sturgis

Cavman -I assume that means Calvary and I also assume as others said- that you were exposed by MOS to high levels of noise in service.

GERD, Barretts Esophagus, and insomnia can be found secondary to PTSD, There are cases at the BVA that show how this was done.

In every case however, clear definitive medical opinions that showed the association between these conditions and PTSD were needed.

All C & Ps for these conditions are here:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm

This is one of many GERD found secondary to PTSD claims at the BVA:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files5/0534284.txt

"ORDER

Service connection for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

as secondary to PTSD on an aggravation basis is granted."

"AGGRAVATION" -something a claimant should not overlook with many disabilities at issue- I posted what type of claim this is here in the past-

In this above decision this is how the BVA puts it:

"As noted, in between are several opinions that support of the

notion that the veteran's GERD has, at least to some as yet

unquantified degree, been aggravated by his PTSD. Thus, the

Board finds that the evidence is at least in equipoise"

When a non SC disability is "Aggravated" by a SC disability-secondary SC is warranted.

I posted 1-2 insomnia claims at hadit last week.

• HadIt.com Elder
Cavman -I assume that means Calvary and I also assume as others said- that you were exposed by MOS to high levels of noise in service.

GERD, Barretts Esophagus, and insomnia can be found secondary to PTSD, There are cases at the BVA that show how this was done.

In every case however, clear definitive medical opinions that showed the association between these conditions and PTSD were needed.

All C & Ps for these conditions are here:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm

This is one of many GERD found secondary to PTSD claims at the BVA:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files5/0534284.txt

"ORDER

Service connection for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

as secondary to PTSD on an aggravation basis is granted."

"AGGRAVATION" -something a claimant should not overlook with many disabilities at issue- I posted what type of claim this is here in the past-

In this above decision this is how the BVA puts it:

"As noted, in between are several opinions that support of the

notion that the veteran's GERD has, at least to some as yet

unquantified degree, been aggravated by his PTSD. Thus, the

Board finds that the evidence is at least in equipoise"

When a non SC disability is "Aggravated" by a SC disability-secondary SC is warranted.

I posted 1-2 insomnia claims at hadit last week.

Probably means "Cavalry." Newscasters mispronounce it all the time.

History is resplendent with great Calvary men-

Alexander the Great, Stonewall Jackson, and General George S. Patton-

I bet your Units have web sites-

were you Blackhorse in Vietnam?

http://www.blackhorse.org/blackhorse/unitinfo.html

I have a very good friend who was Blackhorse in Nam. He is my AO vet with 1151 ,2 PHs and AO cancer.

Fort Meade -question Cavman- my daughter worked at Fort Meade in the USAF (INTELL) and is at NSA now- I think they made Fort Meade to be considered now as part of Washington DC but cant remember where I heard that. Have you heard that?

Check this out men and women- right after 9-11 for some reason I wondered if the whole lay out of Fort Meade was on the internet- guess what it was!

I was shocked. My daughter had just been suddenly transferred to the Battle Staff on 9-11 and she could not believe that the internet held a complete detailed map of the Fort.

I hesitate to even see if this map is still on the net.

Edited by Berta