VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Preferance Issue

So recently I applied for a job at the Commisarry in Japan on USAJOBS.gov . I was told I wouldnt be eligible for sofa status to obtain this job . That only GS8 and above only get civilian sofa . Which doesnt make sense to me because the Job announcement states. Eligible veterans may apply regardless of geographical location.(50miles from location according to HRO) but doesnt say that in job announcement, and I fall under multiple categories for this job that doesnt require much according to HRO.

All of which I fall under . Now here is the kicker according to the Veterans with service-connected disabilty of 30 percent or more you must be retired for a disabilty . Which I will be . The Military doesnt separate people for medical disabilites overseas . They process everyone in the states with the Veteran Affairs Hospital . 8-10 locations of which I cant remember . Now once you seperate from the Military you lose SOFA status for that region . And become a veteran when you seperate from service. So how is it they have these options for this job Overseas if no veterans are eligible for them . You would require SOFA to work their . And they try to say you have to be a local hire which would mean a Japanese work visa which no one is eiligible for under Japanese work Visa laws . and its a GS job.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Sorry to hear of your stress bud. As I stated in other posts, it is up to the Govt at the end to hire you. When I was medically Retired last year at 80%, I had 2 Bachelor and a Masters Degree, Bilingual, Wounded Warrior Program and a Top Secret Clearance. I was denied a job for over 100 jobs that I applied for on USAjobs.gov along with others. When I was stationed in LA, one of my Sailor's Wife was a former Active Duty and it took her over a year just to get a job at the Commissary as a Cashier, and she had an Accounting Degree. We are all frustrated, and need to make money to support our family, when we first get out. I definitely understand your frustration, on the same note I put back a few bucks before I retired and I have a family and my wife did not work at the time. I tell all the soon to get out Vets to put back money and get their finances in order. Good Luck

well Im still in the Navy so I talk to the HRO officer at my hospital and asked her what are my requirements for a job the has continous openings. She said yes I qualilfy . you dont need a degree for a GS03 Job. I also called the local manager if the position was open because its supposed to up date every 14 days . and job is still avalible . the hiring office on base is stating it only highers locals and spouses but the announcement is differant . Also they say they dont offer Civilalian sofa status . The Announcement is differant by stating eligible veterans may apply .( Eligible veterans may apply regardless of geographical location) HRO office here says that means 50m from location which is also untrue because that would also be considered a local hire. So people can get hired under japanese pay system not the the government pay system DFAS. They arent hiring Veterans . By saying stuff like you arent eligible for Sofa or you are outside the area . Both of which I have proven to be invalid reasons of not getting the job.

I hope you learned more in the Navy, that makes you qualified for a better job than the Commissary or BX my friend. I took advantage of every opportunity I had in the Navy. Hell I even took college classes when I was in OIF/OEF. Spent a lot of scary nights in the Bunkers, with a red flash light doing homework. I may be sick and hurt, but not even my disabilities will ever take away the 3 degrees that I walked away from the Navy with. Again sorry to hear of your troubles, and I wish your family and you the best.