VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Post Concussion Syndrome Vs. Tbi

Rate this question

Nineteendelta

Question

Hello all, I am pretty new to this site. I just received my denial letter for tbi and headaches secondary to tbi. I take two meds for my headaches prescribed by va neurologist and have been seeing va speech path For help my memory problems. I was denied because they said I didn't have a diagnoses of tbi, I do however have a diagnosed of post concussion syndrome. From what I have read the two are the same thing or am wrong?

Hello all, I am pretty new to this site. I just received my denial letter for tbi and headaches secondary to tbi. I take two meds for my headaches prescribed by va neurologist and have been seeing va speech path For help my memory problems. I was denied because they said I didn't have a diagnoses of tbi, I do however have a diagnosed of post concussion syndrome. From what I have read the two are the same thing or am wrong?

Please post all of and exactly what is stated in the Reasons and Bases Section

of the Rating Decision above.

Do not include info such as name, claim #, address, etc . . .

Here's a link to a good BVA case for this issue.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files3/1329064.txt

Thank you for the reply carlie, below is exactly what the letter states,

Traumatic brain injury (TBI)

• Service connection may be granted for a disability which began in military service or was caused by some even or experience in service. Service connection for traumatic brain injury (TBI) is denied because the medical evidence of record fails to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed.
  • Upon examination on May 3, 2014 the examiner found that you do not meet the criteria for a diagnosis of TBI. With your receipt of the Combat Action Badge we requested the VA examination and asked the examiner to opine on the connection of any TBI diagnosis with the acknowledged events leading to your Combat medal. No diagnosis was found, therefore, service connection for traumatic brain injury (TBI) is denied.

Headaches

• Service connection may be granted for a disease or injury which resulted from a service connection disability or was aggravated thereby. The evidence does not show that traumatic brain injury (TBI) is related to service. Therefore, service connections for headaches on a secondary basis to this condition cannot be established. There is no evidence showing headaches was incurred in or aggravated by military service.

Also, I called VA to ask what this ment. I was told something about without a TBI diagnosis the examiner could not say I had TBI. I am totally comfused. I was told that the combat action badge (that i recieved for the IED attack) did not state what it was for. I sent in my DA Form 638 that states I was involved in an IED, but after reveiwing the list of evidence considered DA Form 638 was not listed. I am 100% sure I included it when I sent in my packet. I have requested the C&P exam notes and will be requesting my C-file. I have already set up an appointment with a private neurologist for next week. I plan on appealing the desicion and sending in a DBQ and Nexus letter.

Sounds like a good plan.

Be sure to get a DX of TBI from that neuro doc that provides an

"at least as likely as not" or "more likely than not" related to active duty,

and how they are related.

Take your service medical records and all evidence for the doc to review

and be sure they state in the opinion that they reviewed them and support

their opinion with full medical rationale.

Yes the two are basically the same thing. I have seen several vets run into the same problem as you.

Like carlie mentioned, you will need to get a diagnosis of TBI. Either from a VA doc or from a private doc. Try to see a neurologist if possible. Is it a possibility to see the same doc who diagnosed you with the post concussive syndrome and discuss with them that you feel it is a TBI? It sounds like you are already seeing a neurologist through VA for the migraines. Can you schedule an appt. with him and say, "I would like to be evaluated for TBI".

Once you get the diagnosis, then you can just file a FDC request to reopen (reconsideration) & include the diagnosis and again include the info regarding the IED or other incidents you believe caused the TBI.

What about going to a VA polytrauma center? They can evaluate and diagnose TBI.

TBI is one of the most complicated things you can file for. Lately, VA has been combining the ratings for things when vets have a TBI, instead of giving 2 separate ratings. For example, they have been combining PTSD and TBI or TBI and migraines. Just something to be aware of. If the symptoms are not pyramiding and can be clearly separated, then they are supposed to be separate ratings.

If you don't want to go to all this trouble to get the diagnosis, another option would be to submit articles that say that TBI and post concussive syndrome are essentially the same. A doctor's note stating this would make the case even stronger.