Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

No Notification On Closing Claim

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the Va not being required to notify you when they close your claim is an actual law - or is it a policy of the VA.

In our case -- we wasted precious time not knowing that my husband's case was closed. We THOUGHT it was going to the Board of Appeals because the last letter from them (August 2004) said Your appeal is being forwarded to the Board of Appeals... and my husband's conversation with the RO (June 2006) STILL led him to believe his case was the RO said they would forward any evidence sent to the Board.

So now - they have confirmed that it was closed --and that his time for appeal had expired.

But what about all that time in between?

Isn't this kind of a due process thing? If they do not notify you they have closed your case -- and you think it is open -- you lose an amazing amount of time.

Good thing we decided to add evidence to his appeal -- or we would still be witting around waiting for his appeal to be heard --while the time ticked away.

Anyway -- does anyone know if this is actually a congressional law (as in they don't have to tell you they closed your case) - or is it just one of their policies?

Dear Free Sprit

Did you file a NOD to the RO that you were appealiing there denial? It sounds like the VA is saying you defaulted your right to apppeal by not notifying them you disagree with there ruling.

If you did follow the appelate procedures. The VA cannot close a claim without first ruling. I know on the front end of a claim I experenced something similar. ThE RO refused to send me a SOC therefore not allowing the cliam to be reopened or appealed. The court ordered the RO to send a SOC.

You write the RO and BVA telling them your case is still open and you want it sent to the BVA or you will file a writ of mandamus.

Terry Higgins

Something is wrong here-

1.Did he receive a VCAA Notice?

This is a letter that has an underlined statement that tells him exactly what he needs for the claim to succeed.

Also he should have received a VCAA Election Notice where he would check one of the boxes, sign this and return it to the VARO.

2. Did he formally file a Notice of Disagreement within one year of the last decision that denied the claim?

It seems you are saying he had an appeal ongoing-

3. Did he file a formal I-9 Appeal statement?

I suggest doing two things-

send the VA an inquery via the VA web site-

and ask them the actual status and location of his claim.

If you thought it had been sent to the BVA- call them at 1-202-565-5436

or email the BVA imbudsman at

Also the info I have from VA says very clearly to send evidence to the BVA when the case has been transferred there.

VAROs used to consider additional evidence even with a docket number and they did in a past claim-but

things have changed- they should have clearly told you to send more evidence directly to the BVA if that is where the claim is now.

Who told you the case was closed?

I filed a section 1151 claim. The VA said I could not do it but never sent me any official denial. I looked in my C-File and it is not there. Because I had a DRO hearing request for my PN and because I had a 1151 claim in on my DMII and PN the VA recently said I could not have two claims on the same problem at the same time, but never sent me any denial letter. How should I proceed? I know have three claims out there: a CUE, a claim for a secondary condition of DMII and a 1151. The CUE and the 1151 seem to have vanished even though I have date stamped copies of the CUE and the secondary claim. I think the VA just shredded my 1151 claim. The VA maintains since I did not appeal my DMII and PN beyond the DRO that I settled the 1151 claim at the same time as I signed off on the DMII and PN. Nowhere was there any mention of the 1151 claim when I signed off on further appeals on the DMII and PN. How do I track down my Section 1151 claim or a reference to it? At one time the VA said they had it.

The VA CAN close claims without notice that haven't been decided when they have approved another claim. I saw something on this a while back. I think it was on VA Watchdog. The court ruled it could be done. Can't remember the details but will try to find it.

That is interesting-I am unaware that they can just close a claim-

A veteran however has a duty to prosecute a claim-

and if they don't then the VA could close it.

John- that is interesting too what you had said.

For my SMC CUE claim the VA sent me a letter stating the veteran had never filed a Sec 1151 claim in his lifetime.

I got tough and replied "the hell he didnt"-a copy of his claim was in the copy I got of my c file and I re-opened his charges- word for word when he died under Sec 1151.The AM he died the 800# told him his 1151 was at the rating board.

Every time they make some odd statement like this about a claim, the veteran has to pounce on them.

If I were you I would send them a query via the VA inquery system to get the status of those claims.

What they told you is unacceptable.

I think claims are starting to be handled just like evidence-if they say they dont get it , they dont have to work on it.

Edited by Berta

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • You can certainly file for anything you feel is related to your service. I would think the upper respiratory conditions could sure cause fatigue ( or the meds for them could )....but VA does not care what I think and perhaps your treating doctor could provide an IMO/IME for you on that. I hope others here will chime in on the initial post you made recently.
    • That means the VA conceded that you had 'established medical evidence in their possession' at time of the decision, that confirms the use of the immunosuppressive drug. And that they did not consider that medical fact  in the decision. I sure hope the DAV honed in on that in their CUE That falls under violation of 38 CFR 4.6. It is 99% possible that the rater did not know what humira was. I wish we could read their decision and see the CUE the DAV wrote. Was the CUE claim sent to the last person who worked on the claim? I always put  Attention to:, and then initials in the alphanumeric on the right hand top of their decisions for CUEs I filed , because the alpha is the initials of the last person who worked on your claim. It is also quite possible that they failed to give the C & P examiner the proper information because it appears that they certainly had the private medical info but those records  have mysteriously disappeared. I have been the victim of the Buffalo RO  MF many times-the MF 'mysterious force that removes probative evidence from  C files) and then might put it back years later. I had that all well documented in House VAC testimony I gave years ago during Shreddergate.53 USPS tracking slips.Evidence they refused to even acknowledge. When they did I won those claims. I bet this happens much more then we know and vets do not realize what is missing from the evidence they can prove they sent to the RO. They need to pour over the evidence list and carefully read the VA rhetoric. VA might even list it as evidence but then fail to mention it. And it might be the best evidence they have. Did the DAV send them a print out of this med ,as evidence for the CUE claim, and what it is for and why the word "humira" in their decision supports the claim for higher rating?   Would your civilian dermatologist still possibly have anything from VA requesting those records? But then again, it looks to me that they did have them to make the statement on the humira. That is very important to this CUE because every CUE must rest on legal error in any decision in which the medical evidence has been established and is ( or was if they lost it) in their possession ,when they made the cued decision, as their  'humira' statement proves it was. When was this decision the DAV cueing a past decision that was unappealed or going after them with a CUE within the appeal period? (which wont stop the NOD clock but can get fast results sometimes) Both ways have worked for me. And I do believe this is a very valid CUE.  
    • I get 50% rating  for my headaches and I am a 100% pt vet.Every year they schedule me an appointment to ask me about my headaches and keep giving me different pills to try to correct my problem but nothing seems to help me.I do not want to keep taking more pills for these headaches,do I have to keep going for these appointments or can I just stop going.
    • First post to this site. have been 100% Schedular since 2004. Took about 6 years to prevail. Have ptsd rated 100% w/smc-k. Had Prostate removed w/ cancer , have all the usual residuals 60% have Tinnitus 10% , have PH which allows me to be in CAT - 1 for treatment. my outside primary doc has followed me for last 15 years. Treating me for near death brain seizure for 3 years. he prescribes the generic for Welbutrin since the siezure. he precribes ativan as an aid for keeping me calm ( so BP doesn't spike and create more Seizures ). been seeing VA clinic for about 6 years. Never had a problem taking my private Docs scripts to VA for filing. clinic I attend once a year for annual checkup is undergoing radical staff changes. used to have a PA do my annual and monitor my prescriptions for those 6 years. The VA clinic transferred my PA and inserted a MD to follow my health care. my new VA doc refuses to fill meds I been taking fot these last 6 yrs. VA doc wanted progress notes from my personal doc which were sent to clinic but is not sufficient proof i guess. my VA doc is demanding I go to main hosp to see mental health people i am plenty po'd because VA doc (who has done one annual hands on physical w me, and had face time w me for 25 min) seems to be challenging the sucessful treatment of my symptoms for 15 years by my doc. Do n't know what to do.i really don't want to go to a MH clinic and dredge up crap that has been swirling around my head for last 50 years. i'm 70 now and do not want to jump hoops just because a new VA doc wants to CYA by making me go down this MH rabbitt hole again. would appeciate any comments semper fi .   
    • In 2010 while I was on active duty training I was hospitalized for a month. For walking-pneumonia, pneumothorax, hemothorax ,decortication and thoracotomy. I had 3 major surgeries in 48 hours, 2 blood transfusion, placed in a chemically induced coma and placed on a ventilator and life support. I spent two weeks in ICU. While recovering I had to re-learn how to eat, talk and walk. I some how turned into a vegetable. With this being the first time I've every had to go to the hospital I was traumatized by the visit. At the time I was 19. Since this was ADT, and not AD a LOD was done and found "NOT IN THE LINE OF DUTY." "NOT DUE TO OWN MISCONDUCT." Because I was receiving treatment before going on active duty. I was doing Honor Guard for deceased veterans. When the funding became available I was placed on an ADT status.  6 months after this incident I was deployed to Afghanistan. While there I was always short of breath. I continually coughed of blood and phlegm. I was medevac to a larger base that had better medical equipment to find what was wrong with me. I was diagnosed with bronchitis and given an antibiotic. It felt like I could never breath in enough oxygen. I stayed at a FOB that was in the middle of a village. Every couple of days the would dump human waste in the holes the locals dug and burn it along with other chemicals and material. I have been filling for asthma since I returned home from Afghanistan. At the C&P exam I did when I first filled back in 2011, the decision letter stated "The provider referred to a period of inactive duty."  Service connect was denied. Which was a true state, but the provider never mention any of the incidents I had while on active duty in Afghanistan. With that a CUE claim has been filed and I now had another C&P exam coming up. I had PFT test done then and I had one done today. My question is which one will they use, and what if i run in to the same situation at the C&P exam. I have been on an albuterol inhaler since Ive been back I still continue to cough up phlegm and i constantly get respiratory infections. Im still always short of breath to where it affects my daily activates. It has gotten to the point where I become depressed because I'm not able to have fun with my two boys, as any father would and having to explain to them why I can't  run or why I can't wrestle with them is heartbreaking. Any advice would be helpful!   Respectfully, Army Veteran 2008