VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dr Bash

Rate this question

Slick

Question

Jbasser,

Read my post and the BVA decision I posted. It clearly stated Sleep apnea was claimed as a secondary contention to Depression. The good doctor got slammed for his opinion by the BVA. An opinion he formulated himself. This is not just one isolated instance. I think I have a very good understanding of mental health. Second, I'm not advertising. I'm retired and do work for veterans free of charge. I saw a post on here and took issue with it based on my long term involvement in Psychology. Dr. Bash does have people he refers work. Not in all cases when it is about mental health. Many BVA decisions he was involved concerning mental disorders are opinions he claims were his own. Little wonder most were denied. Maybe this why he now outsources mental health work. You may or may not agree with my opinion. That's life. But understand, I may have been born at night, but it wan't last night.

Patrick428

Berta,

I'm very happy he has helped you with your medical claims. However, if you read my post, Dr. Bash has routinely provided evaluative impressions on mental health issues with the BVA . Talk show or no talk is irrelevant. I have nearly 100 BVA rulings involving mental health opinions Bash himself lay claim to. If they were farmed out to Psychologists, then it his ethical obligation to cite his source of mental health opinions. In most BVA decisions Dr Bash lay claim to, 90% have resulted in denials based on his "mental health" opinion. Of the cases I have of Dr. Bash and others that I have retained, the BVA have pointed out Dr. Bash is formulating opinions beyond his expertise. I certainly will do not or will I ever render a medical opinion as this not my area of expertise. If Dr. Bash wants to render opinions about mental health issues, I know a few hundred APA approved Clinical Psychology programs he could attend.

As for getting a good opinion from Dr. Bash, there are only two comments I can make. One, how much did it cost for these IMEs you received? I can guarantee the fee was excessive and not in line with other doctors providing the same level of work. Just because he worked for the VA does provide special privilege to charge the fees he demands. Second, you are one of the few lucky people where the outcome was positive. I consult with 17 Medical doctors, veterans attorneys, and other Mental Health practitioners. If you were to ask any of these people about the type of work being developed by Dr. Bash, you will find that for every one that received a positive outcome, there are 6 more who didn't. Most of which has do to inaccurate findings or lack of research. I posted the BVA decision for a reason. Read the findings of this BVA decision which clearly points out the lack of credible evidence, findings where Dr. Bash claimed to have performed evaluations that he never did, and the lack of credibility of his findings. This BVA decision is not an isolated reference, but rather a patten of ongoing examples where the BVA pointed out similar problems with Dr. Bash.

I'm aware that Hadit essentially endorses what he does and supports him wholeheartedly. It states this under his picture on his website. However, I must remind you there two sides to every story. You have your personal story, I have 100s of veterans with another version of this story. As to the need to share comments with Dr. Bash, I have already done this twice along with a veterans law firm. And as would be expected, Dr. Bash choose not to respond. Trying to have a resonable discussion with a person who suddenly becomes deaf, is something that will not resolve anything. As I have stated, this is just my opinion based on 30+ years of experience. I'm not here seeking a referendum or a vote. I'm just pointing out the other side of the story. Im very happy for you and those who have had positive outcomes. However, spend a month with me, and maybe you will become keenly aware how pervasive are the problems are with him as well as others. As I've stated, it's just my opinion, and it can be either accepted or rejected. I work in this area of my profession, and you and others do not. It's very easy to armchair quarterback a game you have never played. No disrespect to you, however, you and I may have opinions about many things. For example people can criticize the police, yet they have never been a police officer. By the way I was a Law Enforcement officer before I became a Psychologist. Or a person can have have an opinion about being a Marine, but have never been a Marine. Likewise, I was also a Marine. However, I may express an opinion of someone who served in the Air Force, but I would never assume I am the most informed or expert about the Air Force. Since I am involved in my profession, I have much more than a casual opinion of it. Again, I am not writing about you, just responding to your post.

Patrick428

Edited by Patrick428

Patrick, the fees I paid to Dr Bash, I had considered to be an investment to the only VA decision I ever got that was meaningful to me.

It reversed the death by DIC I got, under 1151 to direct SC death and it also caused the VA to refund offset of my FTCA settlement award and also multiple ancillary benefits to me and my daughter (a veteran herself now)that my husband always hoped I would get if he died..

It is the first decision if it's kind that I know of....even that NVLSP knows of.

It also gave my husband's death Honor. The value of that is priceless.

Patrick, I know you mean well but we claimants need all the help we can get and when Dr Bash had problems with the BVA and the VA OGC years ago, the acting Sec Mansfield sent him a wonderful letter thanking him for his willingness to do opinions for vets. I have a copy of that letter somewhere

I dont doubt your credentials at all nor your heartfelt wish that we all have...to see vets get a fair shake from the VA. and I even realised that maybe you and my dead husband got the PUC for the same USMC involvement in Vietnam. He served there 65-66. 1stMARDIV, 1st Amphibious Tractor battalion, Starlight and Rolling Thunder,aka Hell..

I rendered medical opinions to the VA as a layperson with no IMO and no lawyer to succeed in my FTCA case and win the pending 1151 my husband had at death.

That wasnt easy but
Obviously the evidence I had was impeccable.

But when I filed the DMII claim I knew by then the VA had changed a lot and they started to play games with my evidence right away so I hired Dr Bash.

Any vet here can get any IMO doctor they want.

Personally I regret even giving advise that ANY vet should even need an IMO at all...

Probative and supporting documented medical Evidence alone should make most claims succeed.

But that fact often alludes the VA

Edited by Berta

Berta,

Your husband and I probably shared the same dirt. I was in Vietnam from 1965 thru part of 66, with 1/4; thn returned to Vietnam in late 66-67 with 2/26, then back with 1/4. I'm sorry for your loss and as with anyone, a needless loss. I am no stranger to losses with my first cousin to suicide in 1980 serving with the 173rd in Vietnam, and my son's auicide in December of 2013. He was a Navy Corpsmen with 2/7 during the PGW.

I agree helping veterans should be a priority in working with veterans. As I said before I spent time as a Psychologist and C and P examiner for the VA. I am glad you got your justice and the benefits you deserve. I'm glad you did the leg work necessary to get these benefits. You must also understand, I personally do not have a like or dislike for Dr. Bash, however, I have a goodly number of years undoing some of his work and the work of a few others. I noticed an upswing in negative decisions using his opinions. As a matter of fact, have worked with 4 individuals 2 wanting to sue him and two who filed malpractice claims each settling out of court. I'm hoping Dr. Bash has gotten back on track. As I have and will free of charge continue to undo or clean up a mess any mental health practitioner creates whether they are with the VA, in private practice, or Dr. Bash rendering MH opinions that are beyond his area of expertise. He has been guilty of this whether or not he outsources MH opinions . There are too many BVA opinions where he and other IME have opined I mental health contentions. The BVA may not be the best of anyVA systems, but they do deny claims when's person renders an opinion out out their area of expertise. What does this do to the veteran? They spend money hoping to at least have equal footing with the BVA only to see that their claims may have had some credibility, however, only to receive a denial because the person lending an opinion was not qualified to do so. To me, this is a major injustice for the veteran, let alone being out a great deal of money after waiting years just to get a denial. I believe veterans deserve better.

Anyway regards,

Patrick428

Personally, if I needed an IME/IMO in an area of Dr Bash's expertise,

I may go to him.

For anything MH related I would go to a professional provider in MH.

There are many, many, many favorable BVA decisions on the internet

where the claimant prevailed, with support from Dr. Bash,on issues that were

in his area of expertise.

jmho

• HadIt.com Elder

There are not that many MD's doing IMO's for Veterans. I recommend Dr Bash to my brother. I know many Veterans who have done well by him and I have seen a few complaints from time to time. However, it is the policy of Hadit to be supportive allow discussion about issues but we don't want bashing members pardon my pun. I pretty much think that all points have been made so lets play nice with each other.