VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Downloaded A Copy Of Dic Form

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The DIC form is also a form for widows pension. If a spouse is only claiming DIC does she have to provide all that income and asset information? I see request for information about the claimants former spouses asking for dates of marriage, divorce, death etc. I guess that is all necessary. I am going to try and fill this thing out for my wife in advance. I did not think DIC had anything to do with the income of the surviving spouse? The form I downloaded is 12 pages long and confusing. My wife would need help from someone with expert knowledge. She would take one look at it on her own and just give up. That is bad because she has to apply for my civil service pension as well. What do you do with people that just don't want to face reality?

John

John: This is one of the rare instances I would recommend talking to a VSO Rep in order to make contact with someone at the VSO that is knowledgeable with extensive experience in DIC. You certainly aren't looking for theory's, you want real life experience. A big problem all us Vets face, other vets that have gone through it, are dead.

I know personally, here in the Suburban Detroit Area, all Elder Law Attorneys seem to be well versed in VA Laws and regulations regarding Widows benefits. Quite often these attorneys hold free seminars, hoping to drum up business. These seminars can be a source of good info and ideas, check your areas nursing homes for Elder Law Attorneys.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

OK, that is a good idea since my wife is intimidated by these forms I know. I can barely understand them I would have many questions myself. I am trying to put into her head that she is entitled to DIC based on fact we have been married 13 years and I have been P&T 13 years. She does not have to prove anything like a claim for disability compensation. The civil service survivor form requires even more BS even though I am paying 10% of my pension every month to see that she has a survivor benefit. How in the world would a truly elderly person ever be able to fill out these forms and collect some of the information required amazes me. When you become eligible for SSA you just go down and claim it. It takes a few minutes. VA and FERS take a dictionary and lawyer.

John

John,

It is almost like the system is set up to discourage the surviving spouse from filing. Please post what you find out regarding the DIC form because it will be useful info for others on Hadit, including myself.

Thanks...

• HadIt.com Elder

The DIC form I filled out for my friend's widow wasn't that long. Actually, I just sent the VA a letter stating he had died, had been receiving TDIU for over 10 yrs and that they had been married during that whole period, and I also included his claim number. I don't think I did fill out a form, actually.

She should have original copies of marriage license, birth certificate, SS card and maybe the original award letter for your TDIU award and also showing her as your dependent. This stuff should all be in your c-file but they often request that it be submitted again. Better to have something and not need it. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I got VA Form 21-534. You need a death certificate, marriage certificate, DD214 (best practice), and the spouse must give information about all other marriages. The VA has combined DIC with the Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by a surviving spouse or child, including death compensation is applicable. They also include a claim form for SSA survivor benefits but you don't have to do that if you don't want. Since they combined DIC with Death Pension they ask for a multitude of questions about your income and assets. If you are claiming DIC do you have to fill out the financial info? They ask many questions about the vets children if he/she has them. The form actually looks pretty easy except for financial information and I don't see why a spouse just asking for DIC should have to mess with that. To get the war widow's pension the spouse can't make more than about 8300 bucks a month as of 2013. Who would qualify for such a pension? You would have to be starving.

John

John,

Did you mean $8300.00 per year?