VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Downloaded A Copy Of Dic Form

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The DIC form is also a form for widows pension. If a spouse is only claiming DIC does she have to provide all that income and asset information? I see request for information about the claimants former spouses asking for dates of marriage, divorce, death etc. I guess that is all necessary. I am going to try and fill this thing out for my wife in advance. I did not think DIC had anything to do with the income of the surviving spouse? The form I downloaded is 12 pages long and confusing. My wife would need help from someone with expert knowledge. She would take one look at it on her own and just give up. That is bad because she has to apply for my civil service pension as well. What do you do with people that just don't want to face reality?

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Ha, Ha, yes, I mean 8300 bucks a year. My typing is poor and my head works faster than my hands. I still don't understand why a DIC spouse has to provide financial information. I can see some dumb VSO or VA type telling the DIC claimant "Oh, you make too much money, or you have too many assets" The surviving spouse really needs to understand the DIC benefit.

• HadIt.com Elder

John - they don't need the financial info unless they are applying for the widow's pension (a welfare type payment). Most of that info, on that form, isn't needed. You can take the form to the VA and they will help you fill out the form & tell you what needs to be entered. When they're helping you, they won't fill out anything that is unnecessary, which is why you should have them help you do it. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Ok, Phil, This I will tell my wife. She just needs to bring documents and be sure they don't keep the originals. Probably the same is true for the Post Office. They need to do some of the form anyway.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Ok, Phil, This I will tell my wife. She just needs to bring documents and be sure they don't keep the originals. Probably the same is true for the Post Office. They need to do some of the form anyway.

John

I would take the form to the VA myself and get it done, now, just to be sure she doesn't avoid doing it, when you pass. The more you do, the better for her. You know the VA often denies, knowing that the spouse is overwhelmed, at the time of your death, and probably won't appeal. Just sayin' . . .

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Thing is the VA might change the form between now and when I croak. It would be worth it to get it all filled out in advance. My wife still breaks down when one of her brother's friends from Vietnam emails her to show pictures of her brother before he was killed. If I want a decent burial I will also need to do that in advance. This is somewhat morbid but it comes to all of us and most are unprepared. Is there any organization where you can get facts about laws for burials in our home states. I know that embalming is not required. What about those who are organ donors? You do get free autopsy which might help with cause of death if it is SC. The service at funeral home and all the other BS can cost a fortune and no one is coming that I care about. I say just bury me or burn me as cheaply as possible. I like the idea of a pine box, but in Florida you must have a metal container which the VA pays for at least.

You know embalming is not ecologically friendly. You are putting a corpse that is filled with toxic chemicals into the ground where they will probably leach out into groundwater. The death industry is full of crooks that take advantage of those left behind. I did pre-planned funerals for all my relatives. The undertakers were not happy that I chose most inexpensive coffins. If it were up to me they would just go into pine boxes and then into the earth. Bury them deep and they go back to the earth and fertilize the ecosystem. From ashes to ashes and dust to dust. So cremation is probably the cheapest, but it is not all that unmessy. Crematoriums are factories where ashes get blown around onto industrial workers etc. At least my dental implants would not be melted away. Dental implants survive.

My aunt passed away in Pennsylvania this past Saturday. Per her instructions she was cremated yesterday, her ashes were given to her daughter in a disposable container and no funeral service was conducted. The daughter had been advised by my aunt to spread her ashes in a specific location. I am sure the funeral home that cremated her was not happy since the only profit they made was from the cremation and the transportation of my aunt's body from the nursing home to the funeral home. I think my aunt had the right idea.

Even if a family feels the need for a religious ceremony, why not just have the family's religious leader conduct a memorial service with the family and friends and just leave the funeral home out of this part of the process. JMO